Fun The Power of Television

Discussion in 'TV: General' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

mm.gif

That television moment (whether it be factual or fictional) that either stayed with you - or changed or affected you in some way.......

And are there any television programmes that - for whatever reason - you wish you had never seen?

#1 Doctor Omega, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

9/11.

Like a movie.

But it was happening.

Now. As I watched.

All I could do was stare in awe, fascination and a strange kind of powerless denial that this could really be happening.

#2 Doctor Omega, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

STAR TREK: THE DEVIL IN THE DARK....

Helped make me realise that rampaging monsters that run over you and leave you as a black, smoking acid-dissolved silhouette on a cave floor, may have feelings too! :emoji_robot:

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I can't think of any television programmes that should never actually have been made. But I did find the television play THREADS by the BBC to be profoundly disturbing. The image that affected me most was of melting milk bottles on a doorstep and a man literally pissing himself with fright at the nuclear mushroom cloud that had just appeared above his home town. While the play was a worthy depiction of the potential horrors that it seemed could very well happen at the time of transmission, there was absolutely nothing positive that could be gained from watching this show, other than a realisation of how one's death in a nuclear war might look like. I guess the only positive thing it did instil in people was as a terrifying warning - and a call to spur people into action to prevent this nightmare from ever coming true.