Review The Prisoner episode 17-Fall Out ( final episode)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I really think any newbies to this show should watch this last episode without any knowledge prior. So I'm saying nothing!! Except, this episode is why The Prisoner is still talked about 50 years later.
Totally unexpected, mad insane ,genius, brilliant, crap, a insult, all these comments have been thrown at this episode. Make your own mind up. Hope you enjoy the show and have enjoyed these threads.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Some comments from various people involved in the show about the last episode.
Don Chaffey (director) (paraphrasing)
" I was in a pub playing pool when the last episode was being shown in the bar. Suddenly there was a loud commotion, then people came over, I said ' what's the racket?', they said ,
'it's your bloody fault, this rubbish you've made' "
McGoohan " I wrote the last script and showed David Tomblin ( co-producer), we went into a tearoom, I sat at one table, David at another, he read it and handed it back saying,
' I thought you ..[ were going to end it like that].' how else could I end it?,there was nowhere else to go "
McGoohan " it was wonderful that people felt the way they did ,I just had to leave the country in case I got lynched! "
David Tomblin " the ending was in keeping with the style of the series, viewers have to put their own interpretation on it"
Lewis Greifer ( writer episode The General) " this series put its finger on something not often mentioned about the 60's, the paranoia of the times. This could just have been a very very good spy series but Pat turned it into so much more"
And finally, McGoohan " what is it that is the most evil thing in this world, is it the bomb?, or jealously, or hunger, what is it? When you really look you'll find it's the evil part of ourselves that we are constantly fighting. People may be disappointed by the ending, but please remember that this is an allegory, and in an allegory you have the licence to do anything "