Review The First Purge (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
a-fourth-purge-set-for-july-4th-2018-696x464.jpg

“Burning Sands” director Gerard McMurray has been hired to helm “The Purge: The Island,” the upcoming fourth film in the suspense horror series from Universal Pictures.

James DeMonaco, who directed and penned the previous three films, has penned the screenplay for the feature which is scheduled for a July 4th 2018 release.

The project comes after “The Purge: Election Year” which effectively saw the end of the ‘one night where nothing is illegal’ concept that defines the series. How ‘Island’ will get around that isn’t clear.

DeMonaco, Jason Blum, Sebastien K. Lemercier, Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form will produce.

The project is separate from the “Purge” TV series in development which is set to air on both USA and Syfy.

Doctor Omega

New Story Details For “The Purge: The Island”

a-fourth-purge-set-for-july-4th-2018-696x464.jpg

With the third film in the series, “The Purge: Election Year,” effectively ending the story – the logical place for the successful “The Purge” franchise to go is back to the beginning.

That’s exactly the case says series creator James DeMonaco who has officially confirmed that the upcoming fourth entry will be titled “The Purge: The Island” and will serve as a prequel.

Speaking with Vulture about the film, which he’s not directing this time as Gerard McMurray will take over the reigns, he also explained something of the storyline which will be set on the very first ‘Purge’ night which takes place on Staten Island:

“I said it’s the first experimental Purge, which I don’t know if I was supposed to say, but now I’ve said it, so you have it. Next July 4, it’ll be coming.”

He also confirms the film will answer one obvious question – why in the world don’t people just leave the cities during the annual night of government sanctioned crime. He says a big reason is a financial incentive:

“I was wondering how you get people to stay for the first Purge, and what they do is they start monetizing it. People from Staten Island can easily go to Brooklyn for the evening, so what they do is start promising very decent sums of money for the very poor people in the neighborhood. It becomes a monetization of murder and violence, incentivizing killing and keeping people around for them to be victims. So you see the inception of how grotesque the idea of the Purge is, and the manipulation upon the society.”

DeMonaco is also working on a “Purge” TV series set in the days between purges. “The Purge: The Island” opens in cinemas in July next year.

Doctor Omega

The Purge 4
Y’lan Noel (“Insecure”) and Lex Scott Davis (“Training Day”) are set to star in the upcoming prequel to “The Purge” franchise, the fourth feature in the Universal and Blumhouse series.

Gerard McMurray (“Burning Sands”) will direct from a script by James DeMonaco. The story is set on Staten Island and explores the first experimental Purge, including how America got to such a dark place. The film opens July 4th next year.

Doctor Omega

Announcement Trailer: “The First Purge”

announcement-trailer-the-first-purge-696x464.jpg

Timed with U.S. President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech, Universal Pictures and Blumhouse have released the first trailer for “The First Purge,” the fourth film in the horror series which serves as something of a prequel.

In the film, the New Founding Fathers of America (NFFA) test a sociological theory that vents aggression for one night in one isolated community in order to help push the crime rate below 1% for the rest of the year.

But when the violence of oppressors meets the rage of the marginalized, the contagion explodes from the trial-city borders and spread across the nation. Y’Lan Noel, Lex Scott Davis, Joivan Wade, Luna Lauren Velez and Marisa Tomei co-star.

“The First Purge” opens in cinemas on July 4th.