chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I must admit, I've still never been to a live screening. I think it will always capture an audience looking for silly fun, but in our day and age of movie streaming and downloading, I'm certain that there are fewer and fewer willing to go out and experience it, particularly in costume. I would say that since television shows will do a tribute to it every few years, and with Fox having done a remake last year, there's more than simple nostalgia for the film. It still has an audience, just maybe a newer one that would rather stay home and enjoy it. Which is sad.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Sweet Chainsaw be reassured- a big happy bollocks on your scepticism! Happy - very happy - to report a fairly recent live screening event where mighty were the fully dressed-up attendees, deranged were the ad-libbed obscenities and most glorious the audience participation throughout. WHEN IT COMES YOUR WAY, PLUNGE IN REGARDLESS. Timeless joy, outrageous full-throated obscenities.
Don't EVER dream it, be it.... Don't know where you are in this lovely blue-green world of ours, but Fox? =vermin and if we're feeling generous, we'll chuck out the scraps for them to feed on.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Remembered fondly by it's writer Richard O Brien with the endearing phrase "We ****** it up!", the director of this film. Jim Jarman, seemed to have ideas at odds with O Brien.

No Tim Curry or Frankenfurter...

But is this film, taking on television in the same way that Rocky Horror took on the movies, under-rated - or a misconceived project?

O Brien has recently revised the original screenplay and Shock Treatment is due back on the stage in a new production.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/nov/30/rocky-horror-musical-shock-treatment-obrien

If so, could this 2017 revised version still be a hit in the future?

Or is Richard O Brien wasting his time?

Last edited:

Carol

Richard O'Brien never wastes his time - or ours - he warps it!

Love that film... all power to his writing elbow.
For the record, as bizarre as it might seem - I saw him live three times in a single week- midnight shows at Edinburgh Fringe- of his one-man show Mephistopheles Smith . So wonderful: wherein I learned the use of the word "fuckable" amongst other cheerful verbal delights, and had confirmed to me that that man is peerlessly creative in jollity and decadence.

chainsaw_metal1

@Carol that makes me happy knowing that there is still an audience for the good ol' midnight showings! I'm in Iowa, and the closest theatre that still does them is an hour and a half away, and I've just never had the time to attend. Some day...

Carol

@Carol that makes me happy knowing that there is still an audience for the good ol' midnight showings! I'm in Iowa, and the closest theatre that still does them is an hour and a half away, and I've just never had the time to attend. Some day...
Iowa: one of the ones in the middle, right? (I learned this from Buffy) Oddly enough it's wasn't a traditional midnight showing, but a normal evening event a friend spotted near to where she lives. I had to get from seriously east London to well out of London to the west, so probably a couple of hours (bus to railway station, change trains at Waterloo and keep right on going). Camberley (where it was) is a smallish army town, but given it was a Friday night I was disappointed by the lack of sloshed squaddies in drag getting their Rocky on. They'll learn. Also, a lack of drinking took place throughout (at least for the 2 of us) which only shows how very much steam a mother of a 10 year old needs to let off when the chance arrives. She could barely speak the next day. Happily, the ten year old was very curious about the whole thing...in a few more years I'll slip her the DVD; she's still into Mary Poppins at the moment.

chainsaw_metal1

Yup. Pretty much right in the middle of the US (don't blame me, I didn't vote for him).

Seems to me I was around ten when my folks introduced me the Rocky. Ah, the corruption of the young. :emoji_grinning: And I understand the need to blow off steam. My two are 14 and 17, so they are pretty much at that point where they keep to themselves, but when they were younger? Hoo-boy. You're a good friend to be wiling to educate her daughter like that. :emoji_laughing:

Carol

Well she's had a couple of Terry Pratchett's from me too (just getting started), but for last birthday asked for and got a henna tattoo kit! Had to ask an Indian colleague what exactly one was first... important to remain outwardly cool
About ten, maybe slightly younger, I was discovering Hammer Horrors... ye gods! The first one after we finally got a colour TV was a bit of a shock.

PS Wouldn't dream of blaming you for your November unpleasantness- it's the poor voters who thought they'd found an honest guy with their interests at heart that make me very sorry for them right now.

chainsaw_metal1

I think I was about that age when I discovered Hammer as well, and really got into the Universal monsters. But then, by age 3 I was reading Edgar Allan Poe, so my mind was suitably warped.

Again, mother always said I was an odd child.

chainsaw_metal1

I saw the film once, and hated it. However, I will admit, I was young, and thought it would be more like TRHPS. I'm eager to give it another go, now that I'm older. Plus, I saw Cinema Snob's review of it, and I think I judged it much too harshly in my youth.

I've never been to see O'Brien live, but I watched an interview with him on YouTube, and the man is a gem. I would love to sit and collaborate on any project with him some day. Or just sit and listen to him talk. He could read a phone book. Much like Cumberbatch.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I recently went to a "Throwback Thursday" screening of this film at my local cinema.

It was very poorly attended.

The few who were in costume attempted a dance to the Timewarp and then gave up, sitting down in silence.

All of the sparse audience were middle aged.

The film came to an end and we all left.

What was it about The Rocky Horror Show that captivated audiences - and was my experience just a one off blip, or is it failing to gain the interest of the younger generations?

Has it had it's day?

And, if so, why?

I went to midnight showings at least 20X in 76. At that time we were "lighting up" (mainly dope, some cigs) in the theater and I remember one show where a Fire Marshall came into the theater, walked up onto the stage and told us that "smoking was hazardous" and if we didn't stop they were going to shut down the show. As he was explaining this, a gallon jug of wine rolled down the concrete floors from one of the back rows, under all of the seats and bounced off the stage just as he was finishing... He looked down, glanced up at us and said: "Well, at least it's not on fire". Those were the good'ole days!

We stopped going when the show started being packed with people in costume who were quoting the dialogue and screaming out answers to questions posed by the narrator. It just sucked the fun and spontaneity right out of it. It was popular and gathered a cult-following because, like the "push-me/pull-you", no one had ever seen anything like it anywhere else before then. It was John Waters on LSD only it was truly funny, outrageous and the most creative thing anyone had seen onscreen. But Summer and being 16 don't last forever. Each is a uniquely singular experience and trying to recapture it is like trying to put the "Chaos Butterfly" under glass. It just can't be done.

So I hold onto my memories because that time and those people are precious to me and time as we know it moves only forward. I couldn't tell you how well it holds up if I wanted to because I haven't seen it since then and don't have any desire to do so.

But I will say that, in contrast, Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail does hold up, is just as funny as an adult as it was when I was a teen and oddly enough seems to carry even more weight and more laughter in my 40s-50s than it did when I saw it in the theater an almost equal amount of time ago. So I think, Doc my friend, that this is all the answer I'm capable of providing....

chainsaw_metal1

There's a theatre about an hour away from me that shows it on the weekends. Someday...

As for Halloween, I've been thinking about talking with the manager at our local theatre about doing a late night horror show. I'd have a few movie buff friends and myself doing the horror host duties, show three or four classic horror films, have a costume contest, a raffle, and just have a great time. Maybe this is the year we make it happen.