Review THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES: "Death of the Doctor" (2010)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00.jpg 76.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

Sarah Jane is told by Colonel Tia Karim of UNIT that The Doctor is dead and so she goes with Rani and Clyde to UNIT's underground headquarters in Wales, where a rocket will fire the doctor's remains into space. Jo Jones, formerly Jo Grant, another of the doctor's friends from the past, arrives with her grandson Santiago and, like Sarah Jane, does not believe that The Doctor is dead.

On to the next story.....

THE EMPTY PLANET.....

(Coming soon)

Back to previous story.....

VAULT OF SECRETS.....

(Coming soon)

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

(Previously posted this in the main SJA thread, but now that this episode has it's own thread.....)

I only have one episode of this, which is an extra on THE GREEN DEATH, The Death of the Doctor, with Joe Grant.

Nicely made, albeit with the usual not all that convincing acting from the younger cast.

It was nice to see Jo Grant mention Karfel in the episode, thus paying homage to Timelash! :emoji_alien:

Watching it, it underlined how RTD's writing seemed a more sympathetic fit to DOCTOR WHO, as opposed to the "look how clever my plotting is" approach of Moffat. Genuine love, nostalgia and affection for the characters came through in this episode about Jo and Sarah Jane meeting at last.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I agree, I was so happy to see Jo. The Brigadier was in an episode too - that was a great show. It’s so sad about Elizabeth Sladen.

Doctor Omega

The only thing that jarred with me somewhat, was that reference to Ian and Barbara not having aged a day since their return to 1965. Not sure that sat well with me, both from it adding a strange and sinister note to their fates and the fact that it kind of suggested that Ian Russell might be ruled out for making a cameo appearance. I mean, he looks good for his age, but.....

I remember another piece of fan fiction that suggested Ian and Barbara had been left sterile after the radiation on Skaro.

Between Dodo contracting syphilis and this, I wonder why fans like to inject unhappiness into the later lives of some of these poor characters?

Having said that, apparently even Ian Marter wanted to kill off Harry Sullivan at the end of his book, HARRY SULLIVAN'S WAR, but got told he could not.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, it was such a shock to hear the news of Elizabeth Sladen's passing. I don't think she had told many people quite how ill she was.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The only thing that jarred with me somewhat, was that reference to Ian and Barbara not having aged a day since their return to 1965. Not sure that sat well with me, both from it adding a strange and sinister note to their fates and the fact that it kind of suggested that Ian Russell might be ruled out for making a cameo appearance. I mean, he looks good for his age, but.....
I didn't care for that either. It doesn't even make sense, seeing as all the other companions aged, including Sarah Jane and Jo! RTD was sometimes as nutty as Moffat. Even if he didn't write that episode he shouldn't have greenlit that remark

Another throwaway line I hate - if I haven't mentioned it already - is the Doctor implying that she was a woman before now. Yeah, come on NuWho, don't shit all over the new program. I probably already mentioned it. Sorry, a bit OT there.

Doctor Omega

Oh, yeah, I mean...WHHAAAAAA???

875990._UY500_SS500_.jpg

http://whoniverse.net/discontinuity/ma19

24 Messidor, XXII: the TARDIS has landed in post-revolutionary France, or so it appears. But the futuristic structure of the New Bastille towers over a twisted version of Paris. And First Deputy Minski, adopted son of the infamous Marquis de Sade, presides over a reign of terror that has yet to end.
Revolutionary soldiers arrest an ailing Doctor as a curfew breaker. Dodo is recruited by a band of wandering players whose intentions are less than pure. Deep in the dungeons of the Bastille, Prisoner 6 tries desperately to remember who he is. And outside time and space, a gathering of aliens watch in horror as their greatest experiment goes catastrophically wrong.
She is a virgin, until she has sex with Dalville. Because Dalville was infected with Minski's virus, Dodo becomes infected and will pass it on to her future lovers and children, although once Minski is killed and the world machine reversed, it will never have an effect. She accepts the virus, since she wants to take something of the alternate reality with her.

The Bottom Line: There are gaps in the air. A remarkable, imaginative and often horrific piece of work, made notorious for leaving Dodo with an STD. Dodo gets more characterisation than she ever did in the TV series, and the Doctor comes over particularly well, with his impending regeneration looming over him throughout.

Doctor Omega

cover_big.jpg

Upon further investigation, it got worse for Dodo.....

A lot worse......

A “journalistic” approach to the Third Doctor era. Ranges from Spearhead From Space to just before The Sea Devils.

The shocking secret linking a Time Lord and a President

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas on 22 November, 1963.

Now, the publication of this volume reveals frightening new information about the assassination, the real reasons why the President of the United States had to die and an incredible plan to save the man known as JFK!

These stunning revelations involve an ultra-secret military force disguised as a minor off-shot of the United Nations and an international terrorist leader who has twice brought the world to the brink of nuclear conflict.

For more than three decades the public has been fed lies, half-truths and misinformation. Now -- despite government attempts to halt the publication of this volume -- the complete, shocking story can be told. Read the book they tried to ban!

Who Killed Kennedy was a DWU novel published by Virgin Books. It was written by David Bishop. It is often considered by fans to be a part of the Virgin Missing Adventuresseries, although it was released as a standalone novel without ties to any of Virgin's ranges. Who Killed Kennedy was the first true Doctor-lite novel. It revolved around how journalist James Stevens' investigations into the Kennedy assassination led him into the world of the Doctor. This allowed the author to explore a number of televised stories from the perspective of a neutral observer, much as the character of Elton Pope would later be used in the television story Love & Monsters.

The book is further notable — perhaps even infamous — for a subplot involving the attempted rape, near-wedding and murder of former companion Dodo Chaplet. However, this aspect of the story has often been conflated with aspects of The Man in the Velvet Mask. As a result, many fans wrongly believe that Kennedytells the story of Dodo dying from syphilis — something that never happens in either book.

Stylistically, author David Bishop unusually attempts to present the story as genuine journalism. In pursuit of realism, he even allows Stevens front cover credit for writing the book.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Who_Killed_Kennedy_(novel)

Life after the Doctor

Accounts of Dodo's life after leaving the TARDIS differed.

At some point, Dodo was taken to the Black Archive by UNIT to have her record as a companion of the Doctor taken. Her memories of the visit were subsequently erased and she was sent on her way. (TV: The Day of the Doctor)

By one account, Dodo suffered severe and recurrent psychiatric problems as a result of having been controlled by WOTAN. Shuttled from hospital to hospital, she was eventually sent to the Glasshouse, where she was interrogated brutally by its director, the Master, about the Doctor. Turned out into the street, the homeless Dodo eventually met and fell in love with journalist James Stevens, at that time investigating UNIT. While Stevens was being interviewed on a live television broadcast, Dodo was murdered by Francis Cleary, a former UNIT soldier, Glasshouse patient and another of the Master's hypnotically controlled pawns. Only after her death did Stevens learn that she had been carrying his child.

The Doctor attended the funeral in their second or seventh incarnation and attempted to offer solace to Stevens. After hearing of Dodo's death, the Third Doctor told Stevens that he still saw Dodo as being his responsibility. (PROSE: Who Killed Kennedy)

Ships
Dodo bumps into Sarah Jane Smith. (PROSE: Ships)

Another account suggested that she hadn't been murdered by the Master's agent. She had gone on to a mundane career as a secretary. The torpor of her life made her regret her decision to leave the Doctor and long, in adulthood, to again travel in the TARDIS. She thought that she'd be better able to appreciate such travels, now that she was "older and wiser". It was during a particularly nostalgic moment that she accidentally bumped into Sarah Jane Smith, though neither recognised the other as a friend of the Doctor. (PROSE: Ships)

It was later revealed by Stevens that Dodo had been saved by Stevens’ future self who used a Time Ring to stop Cleary from killing her after the Twelfth Doctor intervened. (PROSE: Who Killed Kennedy', 20th anniversary edition)

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Dodo_Chaplet