Votes: 3 75.0%
  • There is another explanation.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00000000.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I actually don't really know where I stand with this film.

It is either a masterpiece of horror, or just good, or average or a misfire that lots of people thinks is brilliant!

I wish I was more discerning as a film critic sometimes!

As for the Room 237 documentary, I wanted to believe that the Moon hoax clues thing was true, but Vivien Kubrick, Stanley's daughter released a statement saying that such a deception would be counter to everything her father stood for. And she should know, so, despite some impressive sounding clues I no longer entertain such hidden message notions in The Shining.

But am willing to be convinced otherwise!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

maxresdefault.jpg

I may be wrong, but this seems to be the only supernatural thing (other than Danny's supposed power) that happens in the film that couldn't be explained away as Jack's descent into madness?

Something or someone physically opens the door.

But who or what did it?

Was it really the dead Grady that opened the door?

Or is there some other real-world explanation?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I need to watch the entire film again now, to ponder on this mystery.

Any excuse to watch a Kubrick film, really! :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I may be wrong, but this seems to be the only supernatural thing (other than Danny's supposed power) that happens in the film that couldn't be explained away as Jack's descent into madness?
Well, if one also looks at the novel as well as the movie, then we see that there is a supernatural presence. In fact, due to most of King's works taking place in the same universe, we have to accept the supernatural as fact. Again, this is if you look at the literary source. It could be explained away in the movie universe that everything was due to Jack's cracked psyche, but if I remember correctly, Danny also witnesses ghosts, especially the dead woman in room 237. Maybe this is due to his psychic abilities? Possibly. But I think that, even in the movie universe, the supernatural does come into play.
Was it really the dead Grady that opened the door?
Tots obvs, as the cool kids say. I wouldn't because I have standards, but they say it.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The force that may have opened the door could've been IT.

Stephen King has created a shared-universe and there are links between many of his stories, including IT and THE SHINING. In that particular case, it seems to be the character of Dick Hallorann.

In fact, some people speculate that IT is the puppet-master behind most of what occurs in King's shared-universe.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Ah, you've got one over on me. I have no idea who Randall Flag is. :emoji_confused:
He first appeared in THE STAND.

He's also known as Walter Padick, Walter o'Dim, Marten Broadcloak, Nyarlathotep, Bill Hinch, Russell Faraday, Richard Fannin, Richard Freemantle, Rudin Filaro, The Covenant Man, Richard Fry, Robert Franq or Ramsey Forrest.

His nicknames include Ageless Stranger, The Walkin' Dude, The Dark Man, The Hardcase and The Man In Black.

Doctor Omega

How Kubrick Adapted ‘The Shining’ into a Cinematic Masterpiece | Screenwriting

Whenever I think of The Shining, I’m always amazed by the sheer number of iconic moments in a single movie. So, I wanted to take a look at the writing process and see how we ended up with such a masterpiece of cinema. Now, there have been plenty of great videos on The Shining as well as videos specifically about the script, but I want to go deeper.
What exactly is happening from a storytelling perspective? What was it like to collaborate with Kubrick on this screenplay? How did the movie wind up so different than Stephen King’s original novel? How close did they stick to the screenplay during production? What were Kubrick’s thoughts on horror? All that and more on this episode of Making Film...