Review The Shining (1997)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BZWQyYmM1ZjAtOGYyMi00NzM3LWI4YjgtYTQwNDQ5MzVmNmE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

The Shining (stylized as Stephen King's The Shining) is a three-part television miniseries based on Stephen King's novel of the same name. Directed by Mick Garris from King's teleplay, the series was first aired in 1997.

The 1980 version of THE SHINING can be found on the STANLEY KUBRICK board....

https://www.imdforums.com/forums/stanley-kubrick.345/

Cast

Inspirations

The creation of this miniseries is attributed to Stephen King's dissatisfaction with director Stanley Kubrick's 1980 film of the same name.[1] In order to receive Kubrick's approval to re-adapt The Shining into a program closer to the original story, King had to agree in writing to eschew his frequent public criticism of Kubrick's film, save for the sole commentary that he was disappointed with Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance as though he had been insane before his arrival at the Overlook Hotel.[2][3]

Aside from the motive behind the creation of the miniseries, the 1997 rendition featured an important set piece that helped to inspire the original story: The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. King used the hotel that inspired him to write the book as the main exterior and the design of the interior sets.[1] Scenes were also shot using the real interior; however, specific pieces of set dressing were used to enhance the old-fashioned feel of the building.

Critical reception

Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly reviewed the miniseries, saying, "There's a deep, rich creepiness suffusing Stephen King's The Shining that makes this miniseries the most frightening TV movie ever made."[4] Ray Richmond of Variety stated, "At six hours, its slowness is carefully calculated; the edge-of-your-seat creepiness unfolds with a languid believability that will rope in viewers early and hold them. This mini earns its massive length, using every minute to paint a picture of surprising emotional complexity and depth

Doctor Omega

I started watching this adaption a few years ago....

Will keep trying in future and maybe actually finish it at some point..... :emoji_head_bandage:

At least King has stopped moaning about Kubrick's version now...

I hope!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love Kubrick, and I do appreciate his version, but I'm with King. And I really like the mini-series. I found it very creepy, and it works on many levels. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Doctor Omega

Inside The Spooky Hotel That Inspired ‘The Shining’ | TODAY

On Oct. 30, 1974, acclaimed horror author Stephen King stayed in The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado, the hotel that inspired the famous Overlook Hotel in “The Shining.” In the spirit of Halloween, NBC’s Matt Bradley goes inside.