News The Suicide Squad (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Guy Ritchie Open To “Suicide Squad 2”

When Guy Ritchie was announced as the director of the upcoming “King Arthur,” he seemed an odd choice for the material.

Then, as promotional video and stills were revealed, indications were that he intended to go in the direction that he took the “Sherlock Holmes” franchise – a fun, camp high fantasy adventure take on the story.

Ritchie’s forte in the past has been caper films about crooks which would make him a good fit for the “Suicide Squad” sequel if he wanted to tackle it. Warners hasn’t locked down a director yet, and Ritchie was recently asked by Variety if Warners has approached him to helm one of their DC comic book films. He seems to confirm at least one or two conversations happened, but scheduling didn’t work out:

“I quite fancy doing Suicide Squad 2, because I thought I could do a good job with it. I can’t do it because I’m doing something else, but I’ve felt I could really do something with that.”

Ritchie is committed to Disney’s live-action “Aladdin” movie as his next project. At last report Ruben Fleischer, Daniel Espinosa, Jonathan Levine and Mel Gibson are all under consideration for “Suicide Squad 2”.

Doctor Omega

Kinnaman Talks “Suicide Squad 2” Filming

kinnaman-talks-suicide-squad-2-filming-696x464.jpg

Out doing press rounds for the just released fifth season of Netflix’s “House of Cards,” actor Joel Kinnaman briefly offered an update on the status of the sequel to last year’s “Suicide Squad” film.

At last report, Warners was looking for a director to work from a script that Adam Cozad (“The Legend of Tarzan”) was hired in March to work on. Mel Gibson was tipped to be the top choice for the project at last report.

“As far as I know they’re writing the script and I think the plan is to shoot it sometime in 2018, but that could change. I think I’ll definitely come back for it.”

One person who isn’t on the list it seems is the first film’s director David Ayer who is too busy with the spin-off film “Gotham City Sirens” which will focus on DC female villains such as Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn in ‘Suicide’. Kinnaman says:

“Ultimately, I’d love for David Ayer to direct it, but if he doesn’t want to direct it then someone who is great with character and that’s able to ground the story and maybe put these characters in a more normal situation. It would be really interesting to see these crazy characters interact with regular people as well.”

A filming date next year certainly suggests no release is planned until 2019.

Doctor Omega

Will Smith Delaying “Suicide Squad 2”?

will-smith-delaying-suicide-squad-2-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures recently put its planned “Suicide Squad” sequel on a fast track to production. However, it’s looking unlikely to be going that fast due to one of its key stars – Will Smith.

Variety reporter Justin Kroll has tweeted that he’s hearing the earliest the film can go into production is Fall next year because of Smith’s commitments to both Guy Ritchie’s live-action “Aladdin” at Disney and Ang Lee’s clone assassin thriller “Gemini”.

The studio is still in search of a director for the film as original helmer David Ayer is not returning, instead he’s turning his attention to the “Gotham City Sirens” spin-off. Both Mel Gibson and Jaume Collet-Serra were rumored but neither are looking likely now.

Despite a critical drubbing, the first film made $745.6 million at the worldwide box office.

Doctor Omega

Gavin O’Connor To Direct “Suicide Squad 2”

suicide-squad-cast-respond-to-reviews-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC have chosen “Warrior” and “The Accountant” director Gavin O’Connor to helm the sequel to “Suicide Squad”.

The decision, made earlier today, ends a lengthy search to replace the first film’s David Ayer who is now focused on spin-off “Gotham City Sirens”.

Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto are all expected to return for the follow-up to last year’s DC villain team-up movie which grossed $745 million worldwide.

As previously reported, John Requa and Glenn Ficarra are also slated to direct a separate spinoff for Leto’s Joker and Robbie’s Harley Quinn.

Doctor Omega

Suicide Squad 2
Currently scoring raves in Toronto for her work in the Tonya Harding biopic “I, Tonya,” actress Margot Robbie was asked when she would be returning to the role of Harley Quinn. She says: “I think next year I’ll be back in the fishnets wielding a baseball bat. I hope.”

Asked which of the DC films or spin-offs she’s set to do, she says she’s as in the dark as everyone else: “Your guess is as good as mine at this point. I don’t know.”

Doctor Omega

Jared Leto Hasn’t Watched “Suicide Squad”

jared-leto-hasnt-watched-suicide-squad-696x464.jpg

Plenty of people have opinions about how Jared Leto did in his turn as The Joker in David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad,” but one person who doesn’t is Leto himself.

Speaking with Syfy, the actor revealed he hasn’t seen the final film as he doesn’t watch his own work. That includes his Oscar-winning performance in “Dallas Buyers Club”:

“As soon as you watch it, that’s when it becomes subjective… No, I never did [watch ‘Dallas Buyers Club’]. I just think with watching your own films, it can be too self-conscious of a process. You either like what you did and you’re prone to repeat it, or you didn’t like it, and it can make you self-conscious. I’m not sure how much win there is for me. But I read the scripts, so I know what’s going to happen… As soon as you watch it, that’s when it becomes subjective.”

Leto goes on to confirm he hasn’t watched “Blade Runner 2049” either yet, though he might “at some point.” One exception he did make was “Requiem for a Dream” which he has seen.

Doctor Omega

“Suicide Squad 2” May Introduce Black Adam?

dwayne-johnsons-black-adam-gets-a-solo-film-696x464.jpg

The upcoming sequel to last year’s “Suicide Squad” may serve as the introductory feature to Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson’s super-villain Black Adam.

The Wrap says according to insiders, the current plan for the sequel is for the members of Suicide Squad to be tasked with tracking down a weapon of mass destruction. That weapon? Black Adam himself who is the main nemesis of superhero Shazam in the DC Comics.

Johnson has spent nearly a decade attached to the role but it has also long been confirmed that the character will NOT be appearing in the “Shazam!” movie and will get his own standalone film first – that film still has no writer or director attached.

Back in May Johnson teased: “We have a really cool surprise for Black Adam that I can’t reveal, in terms of where we will see Black Adam being introduced.” This suggests the idea of him appearing in the ‘Squad’ follow-up has been brewing for months.

It’s thought the film won’t be much of a scheduling issue because Black Adam’s part shouldn’t take much time to shoot. The casting would also solve the first film’s most criticised issue – the disappointing villains.

“Suicide Squad 2” is scheduled to begin production in October next year with Gavin O’Connor likely to pen and direct. Johnson has another season of “Ballers” along with Disney’s “Jungle Cruise” and his “Fast and Furious” spin-off with Jason Statham in the works.

Doctor Omega

De Luca To Produce “Suicide Squad 2”

jason-todd-is-not-joker-in-suicide-squad-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films have set Michael De Luca as a producer on the “Suicide Squad” sequel which is moving forward and is planning to begin shooting in the Fall.

Gavin O’Connor (“Warrior,” “The Accountant”) is on board to write and direct the sequel starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto. Despite negative reviews, the film brought in more than $745 million worldwide.

De Luca was the former head of New Line who segued into producing such films as “The Social Network,” “Moneyball” and the “Fifty Shades of Grey” franchise.

Doctor Omega

Kinnaman: “Suicide Squad 2” Is A Big Priority

kinnaman-suicide-squad-2-is-a-big-priority-696x464.jpg

Out doing press for his role in Netflix’s sci-fi series “Altered Carbon,” actor Joel Kinnaman says that a sequel to 2016’s DC Comics adaptation “Suicide Squad” is a ‘big priority’ for the studio.

The first film, in which Kinnaman played Colonel Rick Flagg, earned over $740 million at the worldwide box office. Kinnaman spoke with Collider about where things currently stand with the sequel:

“I just know that they are working intensely on it. I know it’s a big priority at Warner Bros., but it’s an equally big priority to get it right. We all felt that we had lightning in a bottle, in a way, and it partly got away from us, a little bit. It’s really important to harness everything that was great about it, and then fix what didn’t really work. So, I know they’re working on it, and we’ll see. I’m very excited to read something, but I don’t have any new information.”

He also said recently he thinks the sequel will be more grounded than its predecessor. Asked what he thought went wrong with the first film, he responded:

“In the third act. It was a great setup, great characters. I think that if, when we do a second one, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more of a grounded version of the film. I think the characters are so extreme, so I think it would be more effective if we’re seeing them [around] maybe less sorcery. Because I think the characters become more extreme if you see them in conjunction with more real people.”

The new film is expected to shoot in the fall of this year with the original cast returning, including Jared Leto and Margot Robbie, but nothing’s confirmed there yet.

Doctor Omega

New Quinn Film Delays “Suicide Squad 2”

new-quinn-film-delays-suicide-squad-2-696x464.jpg

This morning came the news that Warner Bros. Pictures was lining up journalist turned acclaimed indie director Cathy Yan to helm a film based on DC Comics title “Birds of Prey” which would focus on Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

As a result of this, Variety reporter Justin Kroll reports that the other planned Harley Quinn-centric projects like David Ayer’s “Gotham City Sirens” and Gavin O’Connor’s “Suicide Squad 2” are going on the backburner.

So what happened? Kroll says that Christina Hodson’s script impressed the studio greatly, so much so the Quinn movie has been fast-tracked with filming to take place at the end of the year. Another reason is the project allows the introduction of Batgirl in a supporting role ahead of her getting her own solo film.

Hodson is also working on the “Batgirl” script. “Suicide Squad 2” was slated to begin production this Fall.

Doctor Omega

“Gotham” Actor Co-Writing “Suicide Squad 2”

gotham-actor-co-writing-suicide-squad-2-696x464.jpg

Actor Todd Stashwick, who notably guest starred as Richard Sionis/Black Mask in an early episode of FOX’s “Gotham,” has been enlisted to co-write the script for “Suicide Squad 2” alongside Gavin O’Connor and David Bar Katz.

Speaking with DC Movie News, Stashwick explained that he hit it off with O’Connor on a film they worked on together. This will be his first film credit, though he has written for TV series, video games and comics in the past and is a lifelong DC fan. He also indicates DC’s Geoff Johns is helping out in some capacity.

O’Connor will direct “Suicide Squad 2” which was expected to go into production later this year, but has been reportedly pushed back with the Margot Robbie-led “Birds of Prey” taking precedence. It is now targeting filming after that project wraps.

Doctor Omega

Gunn To Pen, Maybe Direct “Suicide Squad 2”

gunn-to-pen-maybe-direct-suicide-squad-2-696x464.jpg

“Guardians of the Galaxy” writer/director James Gunn is reportedly in talks to pen the script and potentially direct the upcoming “Suicide Squad” sequel at Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films. Even more interesting – it will reportedly be a different take on the characters and not a direct follow-up.

Disney Studios dismissed Gunn from “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” back in July due to Gunn’s past controversial tweets. Despite this, everyone involved asked for Disney to reinstate Gunn as the film’s director but the studio wouldn’t budge – throwing plans to shoot the film later this year into chaos.

Gunn hasn’t been attached to anything else since despite many other studios being very keen to work with him. Now THR says that Gunn is currently scripting the new ‘Squad’ which will be a “brand new take on the DC property” and he has a ‘clean slate’ to do what he wants with the new film.

The report also indicates that characters Deadshot (played by Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), and Joker (Jared Leto) could be featured. Gavin O’Connor was previously attached as director but he’s now out with a separate report from Variety’s Justin Kroll saying O’Connor became frustrated that the film ended up almost being identical to “Birds of Prey” which is filming first and so exited. With Gunn onboard, the project will now be fully overhauled.

One person already keen to join? ‘Guardians’ actor Dave Bautista who tweeted “Where do I sign up” upon hearing the news. Bautista has been one of the most vocal advocates for Gunn since the controversy began.

Doctor Omega

Will Smith Departs “Suicide Squad” Sequel

will-smith-departs-suicide-squad-sequel-696x464.jpg

Will Smith has departed James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad,” the upcoming sequel to David Ayer’s 2016 DC Comics adaptation “Suicide Squad” in which Smith played the key role of Deadshot.

Variety reports that Smith’s return for the film had never been made official, though it was previously indicated the studio wanted both Smith and Margot Robbie to return for the sequel.

The report suggests Smith’s departure was amicable, and ultimately it came down to his busy schedule preventing him from returning as ‘Squad’ aims to begin production before the end of the year.

It’s not clear if Deadshot will be recast or the character will simply sit out the film. It has been indicated Gunn’s new take will serve as something of a ‘soft reboot’ featuring a mostly new cast of characters so it’s not clear if any actors from the previous film will return.

“The Suicide Squad” is slated for an August 6th 2021 release.

Doctor Omega

the-suicide-squad-characters-revealed.jpg

An apparent list of the new characters to appear in James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad” has gone online over at Collider, the group of characters joining Deadshot whom it was revealed yesterday will be played by Idris Elba who is replacing Will Smith.

According to the site, the new squad will consist of Ratcatcher, King Shark, Mister Polka Dot and Peacemaker. Ratcatcher is a female super-criminal who is a fan of poisonous gas and can control an army of small rodents, plus Deadshot may act as a surrogate father of sorts to her.

Nanaue, aka King Shark, is a humanoid shark whom many label a mutation, but he thinks he’s the son of a God. Mister Polka Dot grows multi-colored dots on his body that he can turn into fireballs and other weapons, but he’s embarrassed about his awkward abilities. Peacemaker is driven an extremist form of pacifism and he’ll do anything for peace – even kill for it.

Gunn will write and direct the film which will act as a soft reboot for the franchise. It’s expected Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn will appear, but Joel Kinnaman’s Rick Flagg isn’t expected to return. The film will shoot this Fall ahead fo an August 6th 2021 release.

Doctor Omega

Gunn’s “Suicide Squad” Is A ‘Total Reboot’

gunns-suicide-squad-is-a-total-reboot-696x464.jpg

In the wake of yesterday’s major news that James Gunn has been rehired by Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios to helm a third film in the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise, one immediate question that quickly came to mind was what it would mean for his involvement in “The Suicide Squad” at Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films.

Gunn became attached to that project earlier this year, initially as writer and then director of a whole new take on the material that would use a bunch of new characters along with the return of Deadshot whom has been recast with Idris Elba in the role.

Quickly it emerged that Gunn would be doing both projects, making him the first director in cinematic history to direct films for Marvel and DC. The plan is the ‘Squad’ film comes first with intent to film it later this year, Gunn will then segue into the third “Guardians” for Disney.

DC Films producer Peter Safran is working on the ‘Squad’ film along with the soon to release “Shazam” movie. Speaking with JoBlo about the news today, he says there’s been no complications or pressures with the announcement and fans should cool it on the Marvel/DC rivalry front:

“It was all handled incredibly elegantly and everybody knows on both sides that Suicide Squad is the priority today and he’ll finish that movie and then everybody knows that his next film will be Guardians. It’s the best of all possible both worlds, I think, for fans and for James Gunn himself.

And you know what I love about James directing for both Marvel and DC is he has always espoused the view that that which unites comic book and superhero lovers is much greater than that which divides us. Because, there’s always been this Marvel/DC rivalry, which he has said, and I agree, is absurd.

There’s room for everybody and certainly that which unites us all is far greater than that which divides us, so hopefully they’ll see that you can be both a Marvel and a DC fan and the world won’t spin off its axis.”

Safran then surprisingly revealed that the new film won’t be a sequel to the 2016 David Ayer-directed film, but rather a full on reboot:

“First of all, we don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 ’cause it’s a total reboot, so it’s The Suicide Squad and I think people should be extremely excited about it. It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot.”

“The Suicide Squad” is slated to hit cinemas on August 6th 2021.

Doctor Omega

Courtney Returns For “The Suicide Squad”

courtney-returns-for-the-suicide-squad-696x464.jpg

Despite the film’s financial success, there’s not a lot of love for many elements in “Suicide Squad”. One of the few that seemed to be well liked was Australian actor Jai Courtney’s larrakin Captain Boomerang.

Now, in an interview with Business Insider, Courtney said he is coming back to play the role of the grimy thief with a predilection for Australian hunting weapons, unicorns and inappropriate drinking in James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad”:

“We’re getting ready to shoot in a few months’ time. There’s not much else I can reveal about it but yet, you’ll be seeing Boomerang back for sure. I’m happy, it’s going to be fun. It will be different, for sure, but it’s going to be great.”

Recently producer Peter Safran said the project is going to be a ‘total reboot’ and separate from David Ayer’s 2016 film. We know the character of Deadshot is going to be in it, albeit played by Idris Elba this time, and the tone is going to be quite different.

The only real connection to the original before now seemed to be the inclusion of a small appearance by Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn and even that seems uncertain at this point. Courtney’s comments suggest at least some of the first film’s characters come into play in the new film but it’s not clear how extensive their roles are.

“The Suicide Squad” begins shooting in September ahead of an August 6th 2021 release.