Review The Time Meddler (1965)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The first time that the series says, "Yes, time can be altered by anyone with a mind to!"

The Monk (The Master?) is a lovable creation. He just wants to have fun and is like the naughty flipside of the Doctor. There is, however, a sinister undertone to him and his treacherous nature is both funny and worrying.

As a story, it is sedate and just a little bit dull, but Steven is a good addition to the crew, played by the under-rated Peter Purves and he works well alongside Vicky.

A good end to the season.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The Monk (The Master?) is a lovable creation. He just wants to have fun and is like the naughty flipside of the Doctor. There is, however, a sinister undertone to him and his treacherous nature is both funny and worrying.
Part of me (despite the fact that the idea has been denied) has always wanted to consider The Monk (and later The War Chief) as early incarnations as The Master. I know it doesn't work continuity wise but there seems to be a natural flow for the character - initially a friend of The Doctor, turned cosmic mischief maker, defeated by The Doctor and seeks revenge and has his TARDIS sabotaged leaving him with no control, meets the War Lord (on one of his random landings) and uses their technology to adapt his faulty TARDIS technology into SIDRATS, shot by the War Lord and presumed dead but in reality regenerates and heads off in his (secretly repaired) TARDIS, and heads off now as The Master even more determined to get revenge.

Doctor Omega

Yes, that's a nice progression. Certainly The War Cheif seems a natural fit as The Master to me. I like your idea that he has got worse as he goes along. I also see The King's Demons as a little bit of a relapse into his Monk origins! :emoji_alien: "Small time villainy". :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who's best quote

This is from the Doctor Who season 2, episode 17, part 1, "The Watcher". The Doctor explains the functions of various parts of the TARDIS controls to new arrival Steven Taylor.