Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Out on the 5th April....

51Nz+YIr0zL.jpg

The key to Earth's destruction lies buried in its past.

Visiting Paris in 1979, the Doctor and Romana’s hopes for a holiday are soon shattered by armed thugs, a suave and dangerous Count, a plot to steal the Mona Lisa and a world-threatening experiment with time.

Teaming up with a British detective, the Time Lords discover that a ruthless alien plot hatched in Earth’s pre-history has reached its final stage. If Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth, cannot be stopped then the human race is history, along with all life on Earth…

Book Description
The classic Doctor Who story, abridged by James Goss from his original novelisation of the 1979 episode by Douglas Adams and David Fisher

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Bloody typical!!! I recently went out and bought the older edition and got it wet in the rain and now they're bringing out a version that could line up with the old Target books if I still had them on the shelf (well I've still got them but they're not on the shelf anymore) GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr
JB

Doctor Omega

51sdLcLZSzL.jpg

Product Description
Holding Synopsis:

Tom Baker's acclaimed first season as the Fourth Doctor, originally aired in 1975/76. With his best friend Sarah Jane Smith and new companion Harry, the Doctor pits his wits against a giant robot, the insect Wirrn, Cybermen, Sontarans and Daleks.

Twenty episodes, specially restored for Blu-Ray and packed with new and old special features. Build your own archive of classic Doctor Who seasons with this six-disc special 'limited edition packaging' boxset.

Existing Extras

Existing bonus material from the original DVD's

Brand New Bonus Features

• Brand new one hour candid interview - 'Tom Baker in conversation'
  • Behind The Sofa - classic clips from season 12 viewed by Tom Baker, Philip Hinchcliffe, Louise Jameson, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and Sadie Miller
  • New making-of documentaries for 'The Sontaran Experiment' and 'Revenge of the Cybermen'
  • Optional brand new updated special effects for Revenge of the Cybermen
  • Genesis of the Daleks - omnibus movie version
  • The Tom Baker Years VHS release on disc for the first time
  • Production archive material and scripts from the BBC Archives
  • Some other archive treats to be announced

Doctor Omega

city-of-death-lp.jpg

Exclusive to RSD 2018, City Of Death is a classic Doctor Who story from 1979, starring the fourth Doctor Tom Baker, Lalla Ward and Julian Glover. Featuring linking narration by Lalla Ward. Previously unreleased on vinyl, the two hour story is presented on 2LP heavyweight translucent green vinyl, and featuring newly commissioned gatefold artwork, sleeve notes and on set photos.

Whilst sightseeing in Paris, the Doctor and Romana notice a series of unexplained temporal disturbances. When a visit to the Louvre lands them in hot water, they realise that a certain Count Scarlioni knows more about advanced technology than a 20th-century Parisian should. With British detective Duggan in tow, the time travellers become embroiled in an audacious plot to steal the Mona Lisa and sell it on the open market.

This is limited to 3000 units worldwide.

Doctor Omega

Yes, it was the new music and titles - that neither I or my friend were expecting. I don't think we were sure what to make of it after years of taking the time tunnel - and THAT Ron Grainer theme - for granted.

But yeah, I loved the Howell theme and starfield eventually and could not imagine the Davison era without it.

Last edited:

johnnybear

I'm not really sure what I made of it at the time to be honest although I somehow knew it had been done to counteract the threat of Buck Rogers on ITV! I did find it great by the end of the series and loved it during the next two Doctors as well even if my favourite theme from the series was the Troughton one! The only one I didn't like (apart from Moffhack's series of trash ) was Sylvester's disaster! I still cringe when I hear it today even though I didn't mind him as the doctor!
JB

Doctor Omega

s-l1600 (1).jpg

And, at around the same time, DOCTOR WHO WEEKLY became DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY - and you could win this strange new theme on vinyl!

The world was going mad.

It was hard for a Target book fan, who had never even yet seen moving images of the Hartnell or Troughton Doctor to keep up!

Shocking and turbulent times! :emoji_head_bandage::emoji_alien:

johnnybear

I remember buying that edition back in 1980 and stuffing it in my work's bag! Them were the days when Who could only get more exciting (we didn't know the Master was coming back after nearly four years and the Cybermen soon after him after more than seven) although Adric had been thrust upon us poor fans!
JB

johnnybear

My computer was doing the dreaded two posts routine again! Strange isn't it that back in 1981 or 82 was the last time that we were genuinely shocked by the return of an old foe and not just any old foe, only the number two enemy itself-the Cybermen! After that every return was hinted at months in advance or was publicized by the BBC before the show started each and every year!
JB