Review The Tripods (1984)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yes, it was way back in 1986, in Lincoln. As a youth theatre, we put on a production of A TALE OF TWO CITIES at the Lincoln Theatre Royal.

At the end of play party everyone had to get up and do some kind of cabaret party piece sketch or musical number.

Lacking the ability to play even a comb, I ended up doing an improvisational comedy sketch with Lucy where I was a terrified man trying to get off the Titanic, while Lucy was my wife sunning herself on the deck and telling me to relax. The line "What are we going to do? Wait till everybody's gone and order a taxi?!?" got a round of applause. (You had to be there, I guess! :emoji_confused:)

She was a really nice person, but drew a lot of jealousy from other girls in the class (behind her back, of course). They disparaged what they saw as her wealthy background, her looks and her figure and the fact that the tutors had clearly singled Lucy out as a talent to watch for - quite rightly, as it turned out!
Do they pronounce her surname as Co-Hu or is it just Q as I think I've heard, Doc?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
My memory is of the surname always being Co-Hu, but have no memory of it being just Q.

That doesn't rule out the possibility that I only heard her called Lucy during the course and formed my own opinion of her surname after reading it on the play's programme.

I did write a spoof poem during the course that I read out at that same end of play party, one of the lines of which was...

Lucy Cohu as Madame De Farge!
The revolutionary who led the charge!

And I know I would have read that out as Co-Hu. Either I was right and had heard it pronounced that way - or Lucy was too nice to correct me afterwards! :emoji_alien:

But yeah, have always had it in my head as Co-Hu, never Q.

johnnybear

Shame that old Jim didn't do any other acting work as he's the only one of the three main actors that still has any interest in the show and he was missing from much of the second series!!!
JB

Doctor Omega

I remember someone in the CULT OF documentary saying that Jim was the only developing actor out of all of them, getting better as he went along, and that it was a shame he left the business to work on the buses, but that he was more than happy to do so.

Kind of endearing that he devotes a part of his life to ensuring the programme's continued afterlife. And also that he is content as a bus driver.

Doesn't look like he is ever going back in front of the camera as a thesp, but maybe one day.

johnnybear

It's weird but I found a box of old Starburst magazines on the local market yesterday! Some issues I think I still have but others that were in poor shape but the one I was looking for, because my daughter is a big Shining fan, of course wasn't in the box!
JB

johnnybear

Creepy cover! Much prefer how they were interpreted on television to be honest even if it was at odds with how they were supposed to look as in the book! Plus why did the BBC writers add the Cosgnocs? They were seen as a superior life form above the Tripods and yet not malignant and didn't want them to poison the earth! So what was the point of them being in it?
JB

Doctor Omega

I wonder if they, the Cosgnocs, were put in just to add extra scenes and pad out the episode run a bit, much like that farm interlude during the first season?

Doctor Omega

I never noticed that before about Trion. Well spotted! :emoji_grin:

Here Turlough is again, this time having a crossover with STAR TREK.....

Turlough_Earthlink_cover.jpg

Doctor Omega

Or Star Wars?
JB

Good point!

I was so intent on the STAR TREK III space station, that I overlook the Star Wars cruiser thing.

I have tried to read that Turlough book more than once, but can never get traction with it, although I did read the same author's BLAKE'S 7: AFTERLIFE book and enjoyed that.

The fact that his main villain is Rehctaht (Thatcher backwards) is just a bit too Pip and Jane Baker cringeworthy for me, like when they did an anagram of HOLY GRAIL in TIME AND THE RANI. Just silly, lazy writing, when they do things like that, imo.

johnnybear

I remember reading it back in the nineties I think and was a bit surprised at the lack of Turlough's family or any of the other Trions we saw in POF! The Magician idea was a bit corny too as if any time lord would lower themselves to adopt a title like that!!!
JB