Review The Two Ronnies (1971)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
That time of year again, when old comic masters are enjoyed once more. Used to love the Ronnies show. The musical sketches were a bit tiresome but the rest was top class.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The NOT THE NINE O CLOCK NEWS sketch that deeply upset and angered Ronnie Barker.....

Barker had been complaining on various talk shows about how he did not approve of the new alternative comedy that had sprung up, such as NT9OCN, etc.

This was the team's response.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I love both THE TWO RONNIES and NOT THE NINE O CLOCK NEWS, appreciating both branches of comedy for what they are.

I understand that this sketch came about, because I think that Barker had been complaining that the alternative comedy was unsuitable for family audiences - and the NOT team called him out on this, by highlighting the innuendo that was hidden underneath the NINNIES.... sorry, RONNIES.... humour.

I guess the old seaside postcard sauciness was falling out of fashion at this stage and this is where the old guard collided against the new.

I guess the fact that I love all my comedy heroes, is no guarantee that they will love one another! :emoji_astonished: