Review The Uncanny (1977)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTgzNTI4NDg2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQyNDQzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Uncanny is a 1977 British anthology horror film, concerning feline revenge. The film was written by Michael Parry, directed by Denis Héroux and stars Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence, Ray Milland, Joan Greenwood, Donald Pilon, Samantha Eggar, and John Vernon.[2]

Although it is similar to the horror anthologies released by Amicus Productions and could be mistaken as one, it was actually distributed by The Rank Organisation. However, the co-producer was Milton Subotsky of Amicus.[1]

In the UK the film was originally given an X-rating.

Plot

In 1977, in Montreal, writer Wilbur Gray (Peter Cushing) visits his publisher Frank Richards (Ray Milland) to discuss his new book about cats. Wilbur believes that felines are supernatural creatures, and that they are the devil in disguise. Wilbur tells three tales to illustrate his thoughts:

In 1912, in London, Miss Malkin (Joan Greenwood) is a wealthy woman who rewrites her will leaving her fortune to her cats rather than to her nephew Michael (Simon Williams). Her maid Janet (Susan Penhaligon), also the mistress of Michael, steals one copy of the will from the lawyer's briefcase and tries to destroy the original copy which is kept in the safe. When Miss Malkin sees her attempt, Janet kills her. The cats avenge Miss Malkin's death.

In 1975, in the Province of Quebec, the orphan Lucy (Katrina Holden) comes to live with her aunt Mrs. Blake (Alexandra Stewart), her husband (Donald Pilon), and her cousin Angela (Chloe Franks) after the death of her parents in a plane crash. Lucy brings her only friend, the cat Wellington, but her mean cousin forces her parents to get rid of Wellington. Lucy uses her mother's book of witchcraft to avenge Wellington.

In 1936, in Hollywood, the actor Valentine De'ath (Donald Pleasence) replaces the blade of a fake pendulum to kill his actress wife (Catherine Bégin), and give his young mistress and aspiring actress (Samantha Eggar) a chance. The cat of his wife avenges her death.

Trivia
Cast
Production
Filming started in Montreal on 16 November 1976.[1]

Reception
The film performed poorly at the box office.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I was never that keen on this one I have to admit, but I did buy the Network DVD which I haven't watched just yet! I agree, if Subotsky's name is on it, it's an Amicus film!
JB