Fun The Uninvited (4 Inyong shiktak) "A Table for Four" re-visit; re-think; re-spond

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I don't think the witness' testimony is false - the scene of him helping with the bags had already been played prior to him giving evidence.
But the previous scene of which you speak played out as part of Gianna's testimony. hmm11.gif

The husband was in cahoots with the bellboy witness, for sure. When bellboy is testifying they show husband with a look like "I hope you tell this story correctly", and when bellboy was done testifying, husband definitely let out a sigh of relief. It was during bellboy's testimony, as he is recalling it, that we see Gianna on the balcony, as if that's who bellboy actually saw there.

And Moon, just before her demise screamed "Yun"! as if to say "I'm not taking the wrap for you" or something. I'm just not sure what kind of new story this creates if we go with the one baby (or two) are dropped by Gianna.

She was the one who used her power to unlock her friend's memory, and it was those memories that drove her friend to kill the babies
Where was this part? I don't have a sense of that.

plsletitrain

in fact, I think that, unlike Spider Forest the whole film had quite a straightforward narrative.
I agree. The story also has this sort of, I dunno if "weakness" is the term but if my conclusion of this film is that "the leads
are both suffering from some sort of psychological disorder resulting from trauma characterized by hallucinations", I don't know if the director will be happy.

plsletitrain

I second this. I thought it was just me and my streaming source problems but I clearly can't remember of Moon's memory being unlocked except just suggesting that she had a traumatic experience before (which I really really can't remember now--if indeed it was shown-- as opposed to Park Shin-yang's past which was clearly drawn.)

plsletitrain

It was during bellboy's testimony, as he is recalling it, that we see Gianna on the balcony, as if that's who bellboy actually saw there.
I was skeptical on this part that I also thought I saw JJH but now that I think about it, I think I rewinded it to confirm who was the one standing (because both girls could look the same when only the eyes and nose occupy the scene) and it was indeed Moon who was standing on the balcony (during bellboy's testimony)--which was what he testified about. The part where Gianna was the one standing on the balcony was I think played during her own testimony. I'm not sure of this though.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Jun Ji-hyun told Jung-won that she had unlocked her friend's memory, and (something to the effect) that the friend had been unable to cope. At one point we're told Moon Jeong-sook was terrified of being trapped in a tunnel, at another that she refused to breastfeed because she was afraid the baby would bite her. Then we're told that as a child, she survived (presumably some tragedy involving a tunnel) by eating her own mother - I'm guessing that this was the repressed childhood memory that was unlocked.

Finally, Moon Jeong-sook was left along with two babies, and they're crawling toward her, and she's losing it, and then ... one ... starts ... to ... climb .. up ... on ... her ... and the horror, the horror of these hungry babies with their beady eyes that just keep on coming at her ... and she's got her back against the wall, but they keep on coming, and it just gets too much, so she goes out on the balcony and puts them over the railing, where they can't get her anymore.

sitenoise

Jun Ji-hyun told Jung-won that she had unlocked her friend's memory, and (something to the effect) that the friend had been unable to cope. At one point we're told Moon Jeong-sook was terrified of being trapped in a tunnel, at another that she refused to breastfeed because she was afraid the baby would bite her. Then we're told that as a child, she survived (presumably some tragedy involving a tunnel) by eating her own mother - I'm guessing that this was the repressed childhood memory that was unlocked.

Finally, Moon Jeong-sook was left along with two babies, and they're crawling toward her, and she's losing it, and then ... one ... starts ... to ... climb .. up ... on ... her ... and the horror, the horror of these hungry babies with their beady eyes that just keep on coming at her ... and she's got her back against the wall, but they keep on coming, and it just gets too much, so she goes out on the balcony and puts them over the railing, where they can't get her anymore.
Damn. Yeah, that’s all there.

Okay. Gianna didn’t drop them. The scene that showed Gianna on the balcony was a playing out of what the husband believed happened.

plsletitrain

When bellboy testifies about her eyes looking crazy it is definitely Gianna on the balcony
I'll bet my ass it wasn't shown during the bellboy's testimony because if that is so, his testimony would be favorable to the defendant-friend and adverse to the wife. Did you replay it? I'll only concede if you replayed it because I can't watch it again now. Hehe.

sitenoise

I'll bet my ass it wasn't shown during the bellboy's testimony because if that is so, his testimony would be favorable to the defendant-friend and adverse to the wife. Did you replay it? I'll only concede if you replayed it because I can't watch it again now. Hehe.
Yes I smothered it in pure research. But we have an answer. See Clayton’s/my post above

plsletitrain

Yeah clayton nailed it.

What the hell is that eating your mother mean????? She's cannibal? I laughed at that part I thought it was just translations problems.

Guyz if it was not Gianna who dropped the baby then what's the use of that scene showing her on the edge of the balcony? And for why would Moon commit suicide when she's guilty of the crime??? What I got from her screaming at JJH when she saw her (after she was handed the verdict) was that she was not guilty and it was JJH all the while. Hehe.

sitenoise

What the hell is that eating your mother mean?????
two babies, and they're crawling toward her, and she's losing it, and then ... one ... starts ... to ... climb .. up ... on ... her ... and the horror, the horror of these hungry babies with their beady eyes that just keep on coming at her ... and she's got her back against the wall, but they keep on coming
Zombies. Great write up clayton! lollegs.gif

Guyz if it was not Gianna who dropped the baby then what's the use of that scene showing her on the edge of the balcony?
I suggest that scene was what the husband believed happened.

plsletitrain

Ah...she's afraid her children will eat her too, like what she did to her mom. Makes sense. But a bit too out-of-this-worldly.

I suggest that scene was what the husband believed happened.
If we follow that, then it runs counter to clayton's theory that he's the oh-so-loving husband that he is. And if we follow that, then there's some truth in my theory that the witness was trying to extort from the husband so he will testify in favor of the wife (i.e. not reveal that it was Gianna all along--but clayton has already debunked this). *copy that confused emoticon above*

clayton-12

What the hell is that eating your mother mean????? She's cannibal?
Quite literal - as a child, she was trapped in a tunnel due to some accident, her mother was killed, and she resorted to eating her dead mother instead of starving to death, before she was rescued.

Zombies ...
That scene gives me shivers just thinking about it. After I finished this, I felt like watching Andy Warhol's Bad, just to see something that could put the fun back into throwing babies out the window.

plsletitrain

I guess I'll settle with the thought that that scene with JJH standing on the balcony was an alternative scene induced by.....I don't know, maybe JJH herself or maybe Moon herself to shift the blame to JJH (as the director's strategy to sway our minds if Moon was really innocent or not).

sitenoise

I guess I'll settle with the thought that that scene with JJH standing on the balcony was an alternative scene induced by.....I don't know, maybe JJH herself or maybe Moon herself to shift the blame to JJH (as the director's strategy to sway our minds if Moon was really innocent or not).
If you watch it again, you'll see they really focus on the husband while bellboy is finishing his testimony about the creepy eyes.

plsletitrain

If you watch it again, you'll see they really focus on the husband while bellboy is finishing his testimony about the creepy eyes.
I'll just take your word for it. So maybe that's why JJH was keen to leave her husband, the husband thinks she's crazy, that she's the one who killed their child. But why would he still go after his wife if he thinks she's crazy and that she killed their child? Love? Boom!

plsletitrain

I promised myself I wouldn't be going back and poring over this one, but now you guys have sucked me in. I have no recollection of the particular details of the scene you've been bouncing back and forth, but I'm itching to get home and have a look!
Hahahaha! If I had it downloaded or if I have a DVD of it I'll scroll over the scenes but I just can't start streaming now, where the video will take years to load lol so I'll just take your words for it. I honestly believe it is a vital and powerful scene though so if you have the chance please verify and let us know hehe. Its a game-changer.

clayton-12

Guyz if it was not Gianna who dropped the baby then what's the use of that scene showing her on the edge of the balcony?
Okay, my take on that scene (and it was during the bellboy's testimony that we see Jun Ji-hyun on the balcony):

What's happening is tied up with the earlier concepts, discussed between Jun Ji-hyun and the psychologist, of the correlation between experiencing something and believing something, and whether the experience is necessary for the belief. The husband wanted to believe that his wife was innocent, but couldn't get his lingering doubt that she was just as crazy as Moon (and therefore maybe just as guilty) out of his mind.

That's why it was so critical to have the bellboy testify - the husband needed to be there, to experience the testimony firsthand, under oath in a court of law, before he could truly believe beyond doubt of his wife's innocence. As the testimony reached its climax, the part where the bellboy walks in to the apartment to see the aftermath, the husband closed his eyes - I think the image of Jun Ji-hyun on the balcony is in the husband's mind, it's his fear of what the bellboy might actually say. But when the bellboy describes Moon on the balcony, the image of his wife there is dispelled, the husband opens his eyes and breathes a deep sigh of relief.

But why would he still go after his wife if he thinks she's crazy and that she killed their child?
Not entirely sure of this, but I don't think there was talk about them getting back together before the bellboy's testimony. It's after that testimony that the husband chases after Jun Ji-hyun and says "Now that this is over, let's get back together" - now that he is free to truly believe that she is innocent (and not understanding or believing the burden of guilt that she actually does carry).