Review The JOHN HURT/WAR Doctor

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Agreed. I really would have loved to have seen Chris return. But I really liked the idea of McGann's Doctor not wanting to fight in the Time War. It also made sense that, as much as later incarnations of The Doctor hated himself for what he had thought he had done, there would be a version of himself that he tried to distance himself from as much as he could. That idea of a more battle hardened Doctor who wasn't the man we knew, but someone who was a warrior, who could go in and fight and then become, as he said in that episode, "The Doctor once more".

Carol

Member: Rank 5
So much better than an Eccleston cameo would have been - all bets off - something we'd never even guessed at and actual John Hurt into the bargain - world-weary, battle-scared and grumpy with it. What's not to love?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I liked War doctor but it would have been better for 9 to return but I would have liked to have seen more of him unfortunatly that is no longer possible due to the death of John Hurt may he RIP
I liked the War Doctor, but I think it should have been the eighth Doctor who returned. After all, when it comes to official TV canon, we knew as little about him as we knew about the War Doctor by the time that THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR took place.

Of course, I also believe that New Who should have started off with the eighth Doctor as well. His character was still practically a blank canvas.

ant-mac

So much better than an Eccleston cameo would have been - all bets off - something we'd never even guessed at and actual John Hurt into the bargain - world-weary, battle-scared and grumpy with it. What's not to love?
And Paul McGann would have been better still. His incarnation is sorely in need of some official filling out.

Instead we now have two - or more - Doctors who've barely made an appearance in the franchise. And now we'll never get any more appearances from the War Doctor in the TV series - at least not any new or original appearances.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I agree. Eight should have returned.

At least we can be certain that he would have stayed longer than the one season that Eccleston did. (Unless RTD had only used McGann for the one season, before bringing in his own Doctor. New broom sweeping clean and all that.)

I bet RTD is sorry he ever answered the e-mail from Chris Eccleston that said "please consider me!"

Last edited:

Carol

It didn't half mess the numbering system up though - along with Handy. So Doctor Twelve is actually Doctor 14 etc.

I can't stand the confusion in my mind!

Do you knit, Doc? One minute a tidy row of stitches in the order you cast them on - then - whip out a cable needle and POW! You're passing the slipped stitches over and twisting and creating more interesting patterns than you could have dreamed of when you started - numbered sequences are for civilians.
Or, like when I was little and still dropping stitches all over: there's nothing a good grandma can't tell you will work out as doll's knickers give strong enough elastic and a big safety pin.

As extended metaphors go, I'm not expecting the Call from mission control Cardiff anytime soon...

Doctor Omega

I tried knitting a Tom Baker scarf when in my early teens once.

As a metaphor for my showrunning abilities, based on that resultant scarf, I don't think that I will be getting a call from Cardiff anytime soon either. :emoji_frowning2:

Carol

As a metaphor for my showrunning abilities, based on that resultant scarf, I don't think that I will be getting a call from Cardiff anytime soon either. :emoji_frowning2:
My Tom Baker scarf was HUGE (I'm a smidge under 5') so I had the warmest neck of any fan in the northern hemisphere when I'd done - but occasionally did spectacular pratfalls when the scarf was combined with platform shoes.... if ytur scarf was more what we call "freeform" you could be one of the first generation yarnbombers to bring a new perspective to all that timey-wimey storytelling. Just follow the thread - mind the gaps- and take the consequences... hope Mr Chibnell is reading this - I'm sure he'll be in touch with you soon enough.

Doctor Omega

My scarf was knitted for a Time Lord who had lost his mind - and lost his Tardis.

Not a War Doctor, but a Poor Doctor.

Tom Baker would have snorted at the scarf in disdain, then returned to rudely ignoring Lalla Ward on set. :emoji_disappointed:

Carol

I am deeply moved by this revelation - and feel for you. Pretty sure I once achieved a six-fingered mitten when I first attempted the four-needle method... I'm sure there's a chilly alien out there somewhere who would welcome it.

ant-mac

Do you knit, Doc? One minute a tidy row of stitches in the order you cast them on - then - whip out a cable needle and POW!
Yes, it's time to unravel the mess and begin again.
You're passing the slipped stitches over and twisting and creating more interesting patterns than you could have dreamed of when you started - numbered sequences are for civilians.
Numbered sequences are also for engineers and scientists - the people who design and create the world that we happen to live in and enjoy. How far do you think any of us would get online without them?

And what is wrong with being a civilian? I am proud to be a civilian.

Are you claiming there is something wrong with being a civilian? Are you saying that you are not a civilian?
Or, like when I was little and still dropping stitches all over: there's nothing a good grandma can't tell you will work out as doll's knickers give strong enough elastic and a big safety pin.
Practice makes perfect.

Once you have mastered your chosen field of endeavour, you can them replace the failures and imperfections with properly completed examples of your work, if you so choose.
As extended metaphors go, I'm not expecting the Call from mission control Cardiff anytime soon...
I wasn't aware the Cardiff had a mission control, but if it does, have faith in yourself - anything's possible.

ant-mac

I gave knitting a DOCTOR WHO scarf a go when I was about 11 or 12. It really wasn't my cup of tea. I never dropped any stitches, but I didn't have the easy-going and gentle touch required. That seems to be a reoccurring theme for me...

Luckily, it was one of the things that my mother happened to excel at. She made one for me - and completed it on Christmas day, while we were visiting my paternal grandmother's house in outback Queensland. Such a shame that the temperature was in the mid 30s at the time.

Carol

You are Peevish the Troll, master of unwelcome pedantry and I claim my £10.

But really, I'm impressed that you have so quickly hacked the identity of a Moderator - I thought your powers were limited to:
Missing the point
Misjudging the tone and
Misunderstanding the joke

Perhaps you will allow me to clarify a few aspects of my post before you gutted fragments of it out of context:

Numbered sequences are also for engineers and scientists - the people who design and create the world that we happen to live in and enjoy. How far do you think any of us would get online without them?

The numbered sequence we were discussing was the running order of Doctors - formerly as straightforward as Three following Two and being replaced by Four. Things have become a lot more convoluted since we hit double figures, and I find it fascinating that the writers have given us such a creative state of chaos. No other numbered sequences need feel implicated by my original comment, nor you to leap to their defence. They were not under attack.

And what is wrong with being a civilian? I am proud to be a civilian.

Are you claiming there is something wrong with being a civilian? Are you saying that you are not a civilian?

I infer that you are confused by my use of the term "civilian" - it was not intended in its original and narrow sense of distinguishing someone not in a military profession. I believe the less specific use of the word to mean someone outside or without a specific area of expertise is generally accepted, especially in informal chat - and my original point related to advanced areas of cable knitting as a metaphor for the narrative developments in Doctor Who. So - not altogether po-faced in my seriousness.

I wasn't aware the Cardiff had a mission control,

Ah well then. I suspect quite a few Doctor Who fans are aware that BBC Wales currently runs the programme and they are based in the capital of the Principality. So it's not altogether dumb, although again, entirely frivolous of me, to refer to their base as "mission control" for the show.

Hope that helps.

ant-mac

You are Peevish the Troll, master of unwelcome pedantry and I claim my £10.
There is very rarely unwelcome pedantry. This is an internet discussion forum, if there wasn't a certain amount of it, there would be far less discussion. And what fun would it be if everyone simply lurked?

By the way, I'm sorry, but I only deal in AUD, not GBP.

On a serious note for a brief moment, if you should encounter a troll or trollish behaviour anywhere on this forum, please report it immediately.
But really, I'm impressed that you have so quickly hacked the identity of a Moderator - I thought your powers were limited to:
Missing the point
Misjudging the tone and
Misunderstanding the joke
I may or may not possess certain skills, but hacking is not one of them.

When it comes to missing the point and misjudging the tone, I think you may underestimate your own skill in these areas.

However, the primary method of communication on this forum is via plain text, so it can sometimes be difficult to interpret or understand another members post in exactly the same way as it was intended.
Perhaps you will allow me to clarify a few aspects of my post before you gutted fragments of it out of context:
Your entire previous message was present in my previous post. I simply separated it out into its various sections, so that I could address the various points you made more accurately. Hopefully this will lead to less misunderstandings if I respond to each point separately.
The numbered sequence we were discussing was the running order of Doctors - formerly as straightforward as Three following Two and being replaced by Four.
Yes, that was part of the discussion.
Things have become a lot more convoluted since we hit double figures, and I find it fascinating that the writers have given us such a creative state of chaos.
Yes, I intensely dislike many of the things that have been done in and to DOCTOR WHO since its return.

I find the general state of chaos and disorganization within the current TV series to be extremely unattractive and unprofessional.
No other numbered sequences need feel implicated by my original comment, nor you to leap to their defence. They were not under attack.
I was referring to the numbered sequence of Doctors within DOCTOR WHO. I liked the way it had progressed from first Doctor to second Doctor to third Doctor and so on and so forth, before Steven Moffat came along and attacked it. That is the numbered sequence that has come under attack. However, it is far too late to do anything about it now, except to accept it and move on.
I infer that you are confused by my use of the term "civilian" - it was not intended in its original and narrow sense of distinguishing someone not in a military profession.
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect in that inference. I was not referring to that term in just its original sense. I would also argue that its original meaning is possibly the broadest of them all. I must admit that I generally dislike the use of that word outside of its original meaning.

However, when I stated that I am proud to be a civilian, I was referring to its use in just its original sense.
I believe the less specific use of the word to mean someone outside or without a specific area of expertise is generally accepted, especially in informal chat - and my original point related to advanced areas of cable knitting as a metaphor for the narrative developments in Doctor Who.
Yes, I picked up on your attempt to use knitting as a metaphor for the ongoing developments within DOCTOR WHO.

Personal experience has taught me to suspect the ability of anyone who claims to be, or is referred to as, an expert, whether it be in film or TV production, or in several other areas of Human endeavour for that matter. I'm not claiming that they are not necessarily knowledgeable or professional in their careers, but neither do I blindly accept such a fact without some level of proof.
So - not altogether po-faced in my seriousness.
Yes, but you do realize that this works for both of us, don't you? Plain text communication can sometimes lead to misinterpretations or misunderstandings.
Ah well then. I suspect quite a few Doctor Who fans are aware that BBC Wales currently runs the programme and they are based in the capital of the Principality. So it's not altogether dumb, although again, entirely frivolous of me, to refer to their base as "mission control" for the show.
I know where DOCTOR WHO is made, but I'm just not sure I would call it "mission control". To me, that infers a level of consistency, dedication, efficiency and professionalism that I simply have not seen present in the TV series in recent years. That is why I questioned the presence of a "mission control".

I may not specifically agree with everything you have said, but I certainly don't think anything you said was "dumb". I believe we can disagree and still remain civil.
Hope that helps.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.