Review The Wild Bunch (1969)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Mel Gibson To Helm “Wild Bunch” Remake

mel-gibson-to-helm-wild-bunch-remake-696x464 (1).jpg

“Hacksaw Ridge” and “Apocalypto” director Mel Gibson is set to co-write, executive produce and direct a remake of Sam Peckinpah’s iconic 19690 western “The Wild Bunch” at Warner Bros. Pictures.

The original followed an ageing group of outlaws looking for one last big score as the traditional American West is disappearing around them and the industrial age is taking over.

On the way, they are pursued by a posse led by a former partner they double-crossed. Wiliam Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Edmond O’Brien, Warren Oates, Jaime Sanchez and Ben Johnson co-starred.

Bryan Bagby will also co-write the remake which has been in the works for nearly a decade with Tony Scott previously linked as director.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Gibson: New “Wild Bunch” ‘Was’ A Bad Idea

Last month came the news that Mel Gibson was set to co-write and direct a remake of Sam Peckinpah’s classic 1969 western “The Wild Bunch”.

Doing promo rounds for his acting role in “Dragged Across Concrete” this week, even though the film hasn’t scored a U.S. release date as yet, Gibson discussed the remake with Deadline and admits he was initially as sceptical as everyone else:

“I thought it was a bad idea at first. Why make ‘The Wild Bunch’ again? Who would do that? I thought about it and I thought about it some more, and then I thought of a way. A way to tell the story. So I’ve been sitting in a room with a writer and its been a blast.

So it started as a bad idea, but it’s heading toward something that could be special. It’s about last chances and guys with lives of accrued violence…Those guys [in the original film]? They laugh a lot, but it isn’t funny.”

The original followed an ageing group of outlaws looking for one last big score as the traditional American West is disappearing around them and the industrial age is taking over. On the way, they are pursued by a posse led by a former partner they double-crossed. William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Edmond O’Brien, Warren Oates, Jaime Sanchez and Ben Johnson co-starred.