Review The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Discussion in 'Film: 1931 - 1940' started by Doctor Omega, May 10, 2018.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

0000.jpg

The Wizard of Oz is a 1939 American musical comedy-drama fantasy film produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and the best-known and most commercially successful adaptation based on the 1900 novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.[3] The film stars Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale. The co-stars are Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Frank Morgan, Billie Burke, and Margaret Hamilton, with Charley Grapewin, Pat Walshe and Clara Blandick, Terry the dog (billed as Toto), and the Singer Midgets as the Munchkins.[4]

Notable for its use of Technicolor, fantasy storytelling, musical score, and unusual characters, over the years it has become an icon of American popular culture. It was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, but lost to Gone with the Wind. It did win in two other categories, including Best Original Song for "Over the Rainbow" and Best Original Score by Herbert Stothart. However, the film was a box office disappointment on its initial release, earning only $3,017,000 on a $2,777,000 budget, despite receiving largely positive reviews.[2][5] It was MGM's most expensive production at that time, and did not completely recoup the studio's investment and turn a profit until theatrical re-releases starting in 1949.[6]

The 1956 broadcast television premiere of the film on the CBS network reintroduced the film to the wider public and eventually made the presentation an annual tradition, making it one of the best known films in movie history.[3] The film was named the most-viewed motion picture on television syndication by the Library of Congress, which also included the film in its National Film Registry in its inaugural year in 1989. Designation on the registry calls for efforts to preserve it for being "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant".[7] It is also one of the few films on UNESCO's Memory of the World Register.[8]

The Wizard of Oz is often ranked on best-movie lists in critics' and public polls. It is the source of many quotes referenced in modern popular culture. It was directed primarily by Victor Fleming (who left production to take over direction on the troubled Gone with the Wind production). Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson, and Edgar Allan Woolf received credit for the screenplay, but uncredited contributions were made by others. The songs were written by Edgar "Yip" Harburg (lyrics) and Harold Arlen (music). The musical score and the incidental music were composed by Stothart.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Christmas was never complete without this on the telly years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  6. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member: Rank 3

I'm surprised I never thought to make this thread. It's one of my favorite books, and was made into a great (although really loosely based on the book) film. It should have been obvious to make a post like this. I feel stupid now, haha.

Anyway, I did make some videos about the Hanging Munchkin earlier this year.

The last two of the four are just extras I made in response to rude comments, but they are still pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

There was a sequel made in the 80's , not as good as the original, but not bad and based on a L Frank Baum novel.

• Like Like x 3
  8. filmfan95

That's not really a sequel to the classic movie. Its only tie to it is the Ruby Slippers, which were silver in the original book. Return to Oz is more of a sequel to a version of the original book that we didn't get to see or read. It's a nice adaptation of the second and third books though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I just found an old thread for RETURN TO OZ.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/return-to-oz-1985.1281/

And just found an old location report on it too!

Interesting that they had acquired the rights to make loads of sequels.

I seem to recall Harlan Ellison raving over RETURN TO OZ that it was a great film that had unfairly flopped.

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

And we mustn't forget this of course, even though I only realised it existed today! :emoji_head_bandage:

12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I watched those and it nicely. methodically debunks the whole thing.

I also like your style of presenting. Taking apart the whole thing, calmly, point by point, and demolishing any rebuttals.

After your videos, it is clearly "case closed" on the Suicidal Munchkin! :emoji_nerd:

Or should be, anyway, but it can, of course, be difficult trying to rationalise with people who want to believe something, even when they are confronted with cold logic, simple facts and reasoned argument.

#12 Doctor Omega, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Dark Secrets of the Wizard of Oz Documentary

14. filmfan95

I didn't finish watching that documentary. I shut it off immediately after the inaccuracy of "Oz" being short for "Osiris." L. Frank Baum himself stated that he named Oz during one of his storytelling sessions to children, when one asked him what the name of the land was. He had to think of a quick name, saw his file cabinet "O-Z," and came up with the name of the land.

These guys claim to know about the book, but it's clear they either haven't read it, or have read it and are tryibg to distort facts, because they are trying to take elements that are exclusive to the movie (including the Ruby Slippers, which they put a lot of emphasis on), and pretend that they are something that Theosophical Baum actually wrote into the book. This is, at best, poor research, at worst, deliberate misrepresentation of facts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

00.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Based on a comic book.