Review Theresa May

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Theresa May Calls Snap Election

For the 8th June.

This will essentially be seen as a second Brexit referendum.

Can't see anything but a May landslide.

BBC

Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I think at present it is her former roles in government, where she oversaw a reduction in funding for law and order and cut to the numbers of serving police officers that might be more relevant to her immediate future.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
This song is charting, but not getting any airplay....

Regardless of one's political views - I think it's a catchy tune! :emoji_alien:

Gavin

VIP
Looking at the election results I don't think it's going to matter one way or another whether shes a good or bad PM. The chance of her retaining leadership after throwing away a majority in an election that wasn't needed would seem to be fairly slim.

ant-mac

Looking at the election results I don't think it's going to matter one way or another whether shes a good or bad PM. The chance of her retaining leadership after throwing away a majority in an election that wasn't needed would seem to be fairly slim.
So, I'm assuming from your comment that she did at least manage to win...?

Poor old Jeremy.

Gavin

VIP
So, I'm assuming from your comment that she did at least manage to win...?
She'll be able to form a minority government. From a small majority to 8 seats less than needed to claim a win in their own right. The election couldn't be considered anything less than a disaster by the Conservative party. Jeremy, on the other hand, has gone from someone who was completely written off a few weeks ago to picking up 29 seats. Still a long way from government but enough to make him pretty comfortable in his leadership.

ant-mac

She'll be able to form a minority government. From a small majority to 8 seats less than needed to claim a win in their own right. The election couldn't be considered anything less than a disaster by the Conservative party. Jeremy, on the other hand, has gone from someone who was completely written off a few weeks ago to picking up 29 seats. Still a long way from government but enough to make him pretty comfortable in his leadership.
With political savvy and skills like that, Theresa May and Malcolm Turnbull should get together and write an instruction manual on the art of choking.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Corbyn has been lauded for his performance but all that's happened is that he wasn't stuffed as expected, but instead had an honorable defeat. But it's still a defeat and by a fair margin.
However I think he should stay on because if the Conservative /DUP love -in falls apart this year then they'll be another election and the Corbyn bounce might still propel Labour into power.
Longer the coalition lasts less likely it is for Corbyn to keep the wave of enthusiasm for him that he has now.
So if I was advising Labour I'd get rid of him if there's no election by middle of next year.
The Conservatives will NEVER let May lead the party again into an election, so she is toast sooner or later.
As for the actual coalition this could be problematic for the Northern Ireland peace process. The British Government is supposed to be neutral in discussions between Unionists and Nationalists, but that can't possibly work now with the DUP propping up the Government.