Review They Live (1988)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
This is such a great film in my opinion. Still hugely underrated.

I came to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all outta bubble gum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Carpenter Teases A “They Live” Sequel?

carpenter-teases-a-they-live-sequel-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker John Carpenter has seemingly teased the possibility of a follow-up to his iconic 1988 feature “They Live”. The 1950s-inspired but 1980s set paranoia sci-fi tale starred Roddy Piper as a drifter who finds sunglasses that reveal the ‘real world’ – aliens are already living amongst us and use subliminal techniques to enforce subjugation.

Famed for its satirical humor, social commentary, and the extended fight scene between Piper and Keith David, the movie very specifically commented on the era of Reaganomics. Even so, it’s a property that is certainly adaptable for the Trump-era – be it a full on reboot or a sequel.

Out doing promotion for the new “Halloween” this week, Carpenter himself spoke with Den of Geek and confirmed that “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” director Matt Reeves was set to direct at one point: “There was a feature film. It was a feature film called Resistance, written by, oh, the guy who did the Apes movies. Matt Reeves. But then he moved on.”

Asked how Carpenter himself would approach a modern-day take on “They Live,” the master filmmaker says: “Well, I’m not gonna tell you about that, because it might be closer to reality than you think…. The sequel is, well, we’ll see. We’ll just have to see.”

The director also recently teased a potential TV series take on his 1987 feature “Prince of Darkness” for horror streaming service Shudder, but says that one is “not ready to go yet”.