Review Tonight! "Twin Peaks" S02E03 "The Man Behind the Glass"

Is the glass half full or half empty? Did the fun stop at a glass ceiling or break it? Rate the ep!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 1990 on ABC

Dr. Jacoby undergoes hypnosis, with surprising results. Cooper and Truman discover an unexpected twist in the trail of Laura Palmer's murderer.

CAST

Kyle MacLachlan ... Special Agent Bradley Cooper
Michael Ontkean ... Sheriff Harry S. Truman
Mädchen Amick ... Shelly Johnson
Dana Ashbrook ... Bobby Briggs (credit only)
Richard Beymer ... Benjamin Horne
Lara Flynn Boyle ... Donna Hayward
Sherilyn Fenn ... Audrey Horne
Warren Frost ... Dr. Will Hayward
Peggy Lipton ... Norma Jennings (credit only)
James Marshall ... James Hurley
Everett McGill ... Big Ed Hurley
Jack Nance ... Pete Martell (credit only)
Kimmy Robertson ... Lucy Moran
Ray Wise ... Leland Palmer
Joan Chen ... Jocelyn Packard (credit only, of course)
Michael Horse ... Deputy Tommy 'Hawk' Hill
Sheryl Lee ... Maddy Ferguson
Russ Tamblyn ... Dr. Lawrence Jacoby
Mel Ferrer ... FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield
Ian Buchanan ... Dick Tremayne
Lenny von Dohlen ... Harold Smith
Wendy Robie ... Nadine Hurley
Don Amendolia ... Emory Battis
Victoria Catlin ... Blackie O'Reilly
Michael Parks ... Jean Renault
Galyn Görg ... Nancy
Al Strobel ... Phillip Michael Gerard
Phoebe Augustine ... Ronette Pulaski
Mak Takano ... Asian Man
Beverly Garland ... Wanda, the ape doctor

WRITING CREDITS

Mark Frost ... (created by) &
David Lynch ... (created by)

Robert Engels ... (written by)

DIRECTED BY

Lesli Linka Glatter

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Well, I didn’t fall asleep this week. And while we still don’t know who killed Laura Palmer, we do have the answers to some other questions.

Who is Mr. Smith? – After he was mentioned last week, I was expecting an old man. But instead we get a young fellow rather sweet and charming. But you do get that ominous feeling that there’s something off about him that will be revealed later. Indeed at episode’s end, we find out he has Laura Palmer’s diary. Still, it wouldn’t surprise me if she gave it to him for safekeeping; he actually seems like a trustworthy fellow – and he’d always be guarding it because he never goes outside.

Who knocked up Lucy? – Well, unless it turns out Lucy had a string of secret boyfriends, it looks like we have our culprit. Mr. Tremayne, appropriately called Dick – and he is one. He kept dating her once a week until he got her drunk and in bed and then it was no phone call after that. “I forgot your number,” he says. “I work at the sheriff’s office. You could have called 911!” she snaps back. Of course, that dialogue makes me attempt to picture Lucy as a 911 operator. “Just a moment, while I get my manual. Okay, now sir or madam, what kind of emergency is this? Do you require the fire department – that’s the men with the big red trucks – or the police – they wear dark blue – or a doctor – they wear white…” Anyway, I’m still hoping somehow the baby will turn out to be Andy’s after all. Maybe the sperm donor doctor who said he was sterile mixed up two samples or something.

Will Audrey escape from One-Eyed Jacks? – That wasn’t answered this week. They’re trying to get her hooked on drugs and they’re fully aware of who she is. Plus, both Blackie and Emory just overact their scenes miserably. There’s also a new player in the midst – the Renault pair of brothers was actually a trio and now we have Jean, who’s at least more subtle in his acting despite the bogus accent. (It’s not really bad for an accent – it’s just I’ve seem that guy on so many other shows talking in plain English.)

Who is the bearded man? Leland told the sheriff and Cooper about knowing the man in Coop’s vision from his childhood. He lived in a house owned by someone named Robertson. Is he the mysterious Bob who keeps getting mentioned? And is Bob the alternate personality of the one-armed man? Could it be that the one-armed man did it – again?

Will Nadine recover from her pill overdose? – Apparently, nothing brings you back to life like “On Top of Old Smokey.” (Good grief, I sang that as a kid.) She comes out of her coma, but thinks she is 18 years old again.

And James loves Donna, but he holds hands with Maddy and later kisses her. Meanwhile, Donna goes to Laura’s grave to bawl her out and complain that her death has infringed on her love life.

And someone got to Ronnette Pulanski and put a letter under her fingernail and turned her IV fluid blue right under the noses of the hospital staff. Just like the night Leland came in and murdered Jacques Renault and got away with it. Except he didn’t. Under hypnosis, Dr. Jacoby remembers seeing him smother Jacques, and he is now being arrested.

Okay, at least there was some measurable progress this week. I’ll give this one 7 empty hypodermic needles, the third clue from the giant - “Without chemicals, he points.” Gosh, about 90 more clues like that and Cooper might start getting someplace.

Best dialogue:
Harry: You were visited by a giant?
Albert: Any relation to the dwarf?

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
Well, I just gotta bag on MadPac to start with. (Not just because his myth-busting video on the subject was from Cracked, which was originally a comic satire publication on a mission to compete with Mad Magazine, although I always assumed that the majority of their readers also enjoyed the latter as well.) Unlike the military assault weapon in the example, Coop was shot, as we learned this ep., with a Walther PPK. I Googled that weapon and it's a .380 semi-automatic. Law enforcement grade Kevlar vests can stop a .38 Special round, which is the same caliber bullet as the .380 but with more powder behind it to shoot "harder" than the PPK would.

I've seen advertised in the '80s some nylon-composit bullet-resistant vests which couldn't be penetrated by a low-powered handgun such as a .380. However they also had absolutely no spreading of the impact out from the bullet-sized spot where it hits. So a close-up and personal shot stopped by one would be about like a Cynthia Rothrock side kick in stiletto heels.

Seeing as how the vest was concealed under formal wear, that would be the most likely type so a broken rib from each round hitting it was realistic after all, with the added twist of the gut-shot for which he was vulnerable for scratching at a tick. The real stretch here is that he was so tough as to get right back on the job still suffering from a gut shot and two broken ribs.

I know, too much of my misspent youth was lost in plasma-donor centers some of which had nothing better to occupy the mind than gun-enthusiast magazines. And then there's all that History and Discovery programming. So now back to the show.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think that Harold the reclusive orchid grower had a vague facial resemblance to Ned the pie man in Pushing Daisies? I had to check the credits to make sure they weren't the same actor, which they weren't. Maybe it's primarily in the eyebrows, though.

Now they know that Leland Palmer killed Jaques Renault. No big surprise there. It was only a matter of time before they got him, especially with the depressive to manic mood swing he got with the closure that came from murdering the man arrested in the murder of his daughter.

James just can't seem to stay true to one girl. Interesting to make his song with either of them their song from the show. More surprising that he would be one to sing falsetto and play a hollow-body electric guitar.

Jean Renault seems more calm, together and dangerous than his late brother we've meet and presumably the one we haven't.

The kidnapping of Audrey is a fascinating side story.

Hawk is now officially my fictional man-crush while we're on this show. The pointed help he gave Lucy with her word-game task, and its timing, "prohibited" and "robot" were perfectly delivered.

And we've now met the one man against whom I want to see Andy get the girl, and his name is appropriate as Brimfin pointed out.

So I guess they'll keep the one-armed man's chemicals away from him until he points, based on Coop's latest interpretation of a tip from the giant.

I'll give this one 7 hybrid orchids on the grave.

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Sorry about my absence, folks. Contrary to rumors, I'm still alive. It turns out if I don't do my review immediately after watching the episode, preferably on Friday, something else always gets in the way on the other days. |Long story short, my father had hip surgery and could barely walk. I've been spending most of my free time with my parents, assisting them as well as I can. The hardest part has passed now and things will go back to normal soon. I'll be posting the "Tonight! + Current episode" entry tomorrow, not today, along with my review of episode 3.

Mad-Pac

Ok, so this week (sorry, last week, sorry again) we started with Ronette having a crisis, getting agitated and needing to be controlled. I'm a little confused because it seems Sheriff Truman said, "Ronette pulled out her IV. I just gave her a sedative." It sounds like he said that HE gave her a sedative. That's what I understood and how the subtitles read. If that's true, well, well, dear Sheriff, I know you are very versatile and resourceful, and we all know that in a small town, a conscientious civil servant has to learn to multitask, but at the same time I believe that the doctors, the REAL ones, would frown upon the idea law-enforcement officers would be dispensing medication at their own criteria. After all you don't want doctors making arrests, do you? But of course, he might as well have said, "THEY just gave her a sedative", so all this snarky rant was for nothing. Ouch! Each time Cooper gets letters from under people's fingernails I wince with pain.

So we're introduced to Harold Smith, as usual, another quirky character. He's a shut-in, and claims he simply can't go outside. He gives Donna an orchid to be placed on Laura's grave. I thought it was very curious that Bob (not the how's mythical Bob, but our own Bob Peters) almost mistook him for Ned the Piemaker. Clearly, Lee Pace would be way too young in 1990 to be playing an adult in Twin Peaks (he was 29 when Pushing Daisies started back in 2007), but the comparison is apt, as he combines some characteristics of the people in that show.. He's a quirky character, there's this eyebrow thing, he's a shut-in (a theme also used in Daisies, as Chuck's aunts were shut-ins), and he likes flowers like Chuck (who enjoyed growing flowers for the benefit of her beloved bees).

So... Cooper is playing with his letter soup, since many of his clues are the letters left by the killer. Which makes me wonder how police officers would operate if vain criminals didn't purposefully leave elaborate clues behind

Albert makes the strangest declaration of love one could imagine. Out of the blue he becomes all metaphysical, and mentions Gandhi, and King, and that his concerns are global, so this is why he loves Sheriff Truman. And he says that a few moments after sarcastically remarking to Cooper that he (Albert) lives on Planet Earth. I guess that's not the same Earth you and I live in.

We also meet Richard Tremayne, a smug dandy with a face you instantly want to punch. And he is the sources of Andy's problems right now. And yes, I admit that makes me a little misogynist to make this all about Andy's feelings, because it's actually Lucy that will have a major issue to deal with nine months from now. But who told Lucy to fall for that phony Casanova who doesn't seem to be putting any effort to even pretend he's likable?

And what's the deal with this "Tremayne" name? If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), that was the name of the alien in Star Trek: TOS's "The Squire of Gothos", who, by the way, was also an affected dandy. That can't be just a coincidence. But I like the idea that Lucy is that kind of person who seems to have a pretty boring routine and doesn't seem to have a personal life, but then you realize there's a whole world you don't know about her.

Leland comes to tell Cooper and Truman about the man he used to know when he was a boy. Which, again, would make this stranger pretty old, and most definitely too old to do anything interesting, like terrorizing peaceful people's hallucinations. Then he throws a lit match to sort of make a point, and i didn't get what that point was, but that certainly impressed Cooper, who is convinced this is his man.

The James/Donna/Maddy/Laura quadrangular triangle is funny and predictable. We could already see that Donna would feel left out. I thought it was particularly hilarious when she told James (in order to make him jealous) that she had met "a young man who was bright, charming, intelligent... and 13" (no, that part she conveniently left out). In the end, Donna goes to complain about the situation to the person who actually was the one causing all the trouble: Laura, the deceased. OK... By the way, I don't know if Maddy's confession of feeling so upset because people think she is Laura is a genuine character concern or a nod to the fact that plot device is an old soap opera cliché, and people are actually SUPPOSED to think she is Laura. Come on, she even got rid of her glasses to look ore like Laura!

More fragments: Audrey's plight knows no limit: the bad guys are giving her drugs! At least her virtue is still intact. And Cooper realizes Shelly is after the insurance money. Truman talks to the one-armed man who sells shoes about... shoes. But what really gets him is the picture of the mysterious man. I swear that when he hid in the bathroom stall and had some kind of attack I thought he was going to turn into a werewolf. OK, actually I thought he was going to turn into the mystery man they are looking for. A Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde thing. Anyway, because of this incident, Cooper finds another clue which explains yet another part of the giant's riddle.

Cooper asks Ben if he has seen his daughter and he, as the concerned parent he is, replies in a very casual and dismissive way that he hasn't seen her since the day before, and then gets more worked up with Cooper's seemingly excessive interest in her whereabouts than the fact she's missing.

So, we meet Jean Renault, another name that reminds me of yet another name, in this case, French actor Jean Reno. And that may just as well be another "on purpose" coincidence, because Reno was already famous back in 1990.

The scene with Nadine breaking her restraints, showing some superhuman strength when she just wanted to clap her hers to the song Ben was singing was really bizarre. Actually she was doing her cheerleader routine and thought she and Ed were teenagers again. I suppose that will keep the interest in her character still alive, since she's not directly connected with the main part of the story.

So, we come to the part of Dr.Jacoby's hypnosis, which I'd call the core of the episode. Long story short, because of this unusual technique, Cooper and Truman find out who killed Jacques an Leland is arrested. I loved his "caught red-handed" face when the cops came for him.

Finally, Donna goes to cry her sorrows with Harold, whom she just met. Well, at least she doesn't look for that"sensitive and intelligent young man" who's JUST A KID! And it turns out he has Laura's diary, which could mean a great deal, but I suspect means nothing.

At this point, I'm just going through the motions. And grading is becoming a very hard task. I guess unless something really good happens, it'll be stuck right in the middle.

Looks like I bumped my head on the glass ceiling, but couldn't go beyond. "The Man Behind the Glass" gets 5 life paths that are strange and difficult ones, like this show.

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
So we're introduced to Harold Smith, as usual, another quirky character. He's a shut-in, and claims he simply can't go outside. He gives Donna an orchid to be placed on Laura's grave. I thought it was very curious that Bob (not the how's mythical Bob, but our own Bob Peters) almost mistook him for Ned the Piemaker. Clearly, Lee Pace would be way too young in 1990 to be playing an adult in Twin Peaks (he was 29 when Pushing Daisies started back in 2007), but the comparison is apt, as he combines some characteristics of the people in that show.. He's a quirky character, there's this eyebrow thing, he's a shut-in (a theme also used in Daisies, as Chuck's aunts were shut-ins), and he likes flowers like Chuck (who enjoyed growing flowers for the benefit of her beloved bees).
Not to mention how his indoor grow rooms remind me of Ned's fruit-rotting facility for his special resurrected pie recipe.

Mad-Pac

Not to mention how his indoor grow rooms remind me of Ned's fruit-rotting facility for his special resurrected pie recipe.
Good point. I had completely overlooked that part. Good times! Just imagine how simpler life was back in 2007... By the way, currently you can see Lee Pace in AMC's "Halt & Catch Fire".