Review Torchwood (2006)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Torchwood
(UK: /ˈtɔːrtʃˌwʊd/) is a British science fiction television programme created by Russell T Davies. A spin-off from the 2005 revival of long-running science fiction programme Doctor Who, Torchwood aired four series between 2006 and 2011.

In contrast to Doctor Who, whose target audience includes both adults and children, Torchwood is aimed at older teenagers and adults. Over its run, the show explored a number of themes; prominent among these were existentialism, homosexuality and bisexuality, and explorations of human corruptibility.

Torchwood follows the exploits of a small team of alien hunters, who make up the Cardiff-based, fictional Torchwood Institute, which deals mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

The BBC continued to approve and commission licensed spin-offs after the show's conclusion, including an audio series from Big Finish Productions.

SEASON ONE

1 1 "Everything Changes" Brian Kelly Russell T Davies 22 October 2006 1.1 2.52
2 2 "Day One" Brian Kelly Chris Chibnall 22 October 2006 1.2 2.50
3 3 "Ghost Machine" Colin Teague Helen Raynor 29 October 2006 1.3 1.77
4 4 "Cyberwoman" James Strong Chris Chibnall 5 November 2006 1.4 1.39
5 5 "Small Worlds" Alice Troughton Peter J. Hammond 12 November 2006 1.5 1.26
6 6 "Countrycide" Andy Goddard Chris Chibnall 19 November 2006 1.6 1.22
7 7 "Greeks Bearing Gifts" Colin Teague Toby Whithouse 26 November 2006 1.7 1.31
8 8 "They Keep Killing Suzie" James Strong Paul Tomalin & Dan McCulloch 3 December 2006 1.8 1.12
9 9 "Random Shoes" James Erskine Jacquetta May 10 December 2006 1.9 1.08
10 10 "Out of Time" Alice Troughton Catherine Tregenna 17 December 2006 1.10 1.03
11 11 "Combat" Andy Goddard Noel Clarke 24 December 2006 1.11 0.83
12 12 "Captain Jack Harkness" Ashley Way Catherine Tregenna 1 January 2007 1.12 1.23
13 13 "End of Days"

SEASON TWO:

1 "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" Ashley Way Chris Chibnall 16 January 2008 2.1 4.22
15 2 "Sleeper" Colin Teague James Moran 23 January 2008 2.2 3.78
16 3 "To the Last Man" Andy Goddard Helen Raynor 30 January 2008 2.3 3.51
17 4 "Meat" Colin Teague Catherine Tregenna 6 February 2008 2.4 3.28
18 5 "Adam" Andy Goddard Catherine Tregenna 13 February 2008 2.5 3.79
19 6 "Reset" Ashley Way J. C. Wilsher 13 February 2008 2.6 4.07
20 7 "Dead Man Walking" Andy Goddard Matt Jones 20 February 2008 2.7 4.32
21 8 "A Day in the Death" Andy Goddard Joseph Lidster 27 February 2008 2.8 4.26
22 9 "Something Borrowed" Ashley Way Phil Ford 5 March 2008 2.9 3.75
23 10 "From Out of the Rain" Jonathan Fox Bassett Peter J. Hammond 12 March 2008 2.10 3.85
24 11 "Adrift" Mark Everest Chris Chibnall 19 March 2008 2.11 3.49
25 12 "Fragments" Jonathan Fox Bassett Chris Chibnall 21 March 2008 2.12 3.69
26 13 "Exit Wounds"

SEASON THREE

Series 3: Children of Earth (2009)[edit]

27 1 "Day One" Euros Lyn Russell T Davies 6 July 2009 3.1 6.47
28 2 "Day Two" Euros Lyn John Fay 7 July 2009 3.2 6.14
29 3 "Day Three" Euros Lyn Russell T Davies & James Moran 8 July 2009 3.3 6.40
30 4 "Day Four" Euros Lyn John Fay 9 July 2009 3.4 6.76
31 5 "Day Five"

SEASON FOUR:

Series 4: Miracle Day (2011)

32 1 "The New World" Bharat Nalluri Russell T Davies 8 July 2011 101 1.51 / 6.59
33 2 "Rendition" Billy Gierhart Doris Egan 15 July 2011 102 0.98 / 5.75
34 3 "Dead of Night" Billy Gierhart Jane Espenson 22 July 2011 103 1.02 / 5.49
35 4 "Escape to L.A." Billy Gierhart Jim Gray & John Shiban 29 July 2011 104 0.94 / 5.19
36 5 "The Categories of Life" Guy Ferland Jane Espenson 5 August 2011 105 1.02 / 5.17
37 6 "The Middle Men" Guy Ferland John Shiban 12 August 2011 106 0.88 / 4.60
38 7 "Immortal Sins" Gwyneth Horder-Payton Jane Espenson 19 August 2011 107 0.92 / 4.48
39 8 "End of the Road" Gwyneth Horder-Payton Jane Espenson & Ryan Scott 26 August 2011 108 1.17 / 4.64
40 9 "The Gathering" Guy Ferland John Fay 2 September 2011 109 1.05 / 4.63
41 10 "The Blood Line"

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The first two seasons were awful, imho. I kept watching because it was related to Doctor Who. Now the third season, that was spectacular. Great story and great acting! They finally gave Ian a personality
and then proceeded to kill him off.
The fourth season wasn't as good but it was fun to watch.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There are some really great moments in the first two seasons, so I wouldn't write them off as awful, but there are some truly cringe-worthy times. My favorite character is still Owen. Season three is really great. I like that Capaldi fellow. I hope he goes on to do something really good. And agree with season four. I actually reviewed that season week to week for the website I was writing for. Good things, but not as good as the previous one.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Do you miss it?
Does a Time Lord know how to use a sonic screwdriver?
Do Doctor Who tiny-fans need something to grow up for?
Does Cardiff have a rift? ( I have a cousin - won Welsh book of the year and I heard about the after-awards party so, hell yes!)
More betterTORCHWOOD please, any time yu like, but sooner rather than later and LOOSE THE YANKS!
In fact, I'd like a proper series 4 of TORCHWOOD and no more pratting about, please.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

More betterTORCHWOOD please, any time yu like, but sooner rather than later and LOOSE THE YANKS!
In fact, I'd like a proper series 4 of TORCHWOOD and no more pratting about, please.
I'm a Yank, and I'm in complete agreeance on this. Although, one of my favorite scenes was when Gwen and the American chick were discussing the differences between UK and US terms and foods. Gwen going on about how she couldn't find sparkling lemonade, and the other gal makes some comment about how the British is sparkling, and the US is flat, and Gwen essentially says that explains it all.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I loved it. The first series was a bit hit and miss. Some good episodes and some awful episodes. I thought the second series was much better. More consistent and they started to develop the characters more (especially Ianto). The third series really nailed it.

Unfortunately they lost it in the fourth series. The storyline really didn't lend itself to ten episodes leading to a lot of unnecessary padding. I think we spent the first 8 episodes watching the team get chased by the government and then the final two episodes they focused on the mystery and solved it without much challenge at all. If the government had left them alone it would have all been resolved in the first episode. It didn't help that most of the regulars had been killed off by that point and were replaced by characters I didn't really like much.

Doctor Omega

Torchwood - Chris Chibnall Interview

Brief interview with the writer of 'Countrycide'

And a closer look at "COUNTRYCIDE": that particular episode wot Chibnall wrote....

torchwood declassified ep 6

Doctor Omega

TORCHWOOD continues on BIG FINISH...

s-l500.jpg

Synopsis
"101%. It’s a masterpiece." - Gallifrey Archive

"Each instalment is special in its own right, from intense, character-driven moments to bigger, explosive scenes, all directed with flair by Scott Handcock and performed masterfully by the cast involved. Comparing each volume, this stands above the rest and will leave you desperate for series six..." Digital Fix

"This is award-winning stuff. These four episodes are the amazing culmination of a lot of talent, hard-work and complete dedication to excellence. Well done again to Torchwood, twenty-first century drama at its best." SFCrowsnest

"Continuing the story of Torchwood while also making some nods to the past, as well as using old characters in a meaningful way rather than simply fanservice, is the perfect balance. The series is in safe hands with James Goss and Big Finish at the helm." Blogtor Who

"Aliens Among Us was a success, reigniting the story of Torchwood and taking it in exciting new directions It recaptured the style and passion of series two and brought a new team just as diverse and engaging as the old." The Digital Fix

10/10. "Everything changes and I’m most definitely ready for it." Indie Mac User

Big Finish picks up the events after Miracle Day with Torchwood: Aliens Among Us...

Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper have restarted Torchwood. But it's in a very different Cardiff. Something terrible's happened to the city. With every day getting darker, will a new arrival prove to be the ally Torchwood needs?

5.9 Poker Face by Tim Foley

Torchwood are in trouble. Terrorist attacks are rocking the city. Control of the police has been ceded to Cardiff's alien masters. And it looks like it's all been arranged by Captain Jack Harkness. Worse, there's a dead woman in the cells who says that Torchwood will be hers by dawn.

5.10 Tagged by Joseph Lidster

"I know what you've done. I know what you'll do." The phrase starts appearing everywhere around Cardiff. On posters. On the internet. It's just a prank, isn't it? Only a wave of vigilante crime spreads through the city. People are taking revenge. Suddenly everyone knows what you've done. And they know what you'll do.

5.11 Escape Room by Helen Goldwyn

Gwen Cooper, Rhys Williams, and the Colchester-Prices go to try out an escape room. They've heard a lot about them. Especially this one. People keep going into the game and not coming out. But Torchwood will be fine. After all - partners can trust each other. Can't they?

5.12 Herald of the Dawn by James Goss

It starts normally enough: a car park full of ramblers is incinerated by a thunderbolt. But the next day it's clear there's something very wrong. Something's changed. Something's coming. It's the end of the world. And that's what Torchwood are best at...

Written By: Tim Foley, Joseph Lidster, Helen Goldwyn, James Goss
Directed By: Scott Handcock

Cast
John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), Tracy-Ann Oberman (Yvonne Hartman), Alexandria Riley (Ng), Paul Clayton (Mr Colchester), Samantha Béart (Orr), Jonny Green (Tyler Steele), Kai Owen (Rhys Williams), Tom Price (Sgt. Andy Davidson), Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper), Rachel Atkins (Ro-Jedda), Ramon Tikaram (Colin Colchester-Price), Terrence Hardiman (Escape), Sanee Raval (Xander), Kezrena James (Serena), Laura Dalgleish (Newsreader), Kerry Joy Stewart (Waitress), Garnon Davies (Rory), Joseph Tweedale (Assassin), Richard Elfyn (Inspector Bernstein), Aly Cruickshank (God Botherer), Marilyn Le Conte (Sue), Rick Yale (Darren), Luke Williams (Hywel), Charlotte O’Leary (News Reporter). Other parts played by members of the cast.

Torchwood contains adult material and may not be suitable for younger listeners

Producer James Goss
Script Editor Scott Handcock
Executive Producers Jason Haigh-Ellery and Nicholas Briggs

Doctor Omega

I have dipped into some Big Finish productions in the past.... Doctor Who and Blake's 7.

Then realised that - after an obligatory, cursory listen - that they were then left on my shelf to gather dust.

Maybe when a show on the telly is done... it's done?

And these things are just warmed up leftovers, making bucks off us, while trying and pretty much failing, to recapture a nostalgic past?

chainsaw_metal1

I've never had the chance to really delve into them, but have always been curious. The idea seems like a cool idea of capturing the feel of the old radio plays but with our favorite TV characters, but also feels like it's trying to cater to the portion of the audience who refuse to open a book.
And these things are just warmed up leftovers, making bucks off us, while trying and pretty much failing, to recapture a nostalgic past?
That could very well be right on the money as well, Doc. Between regular fans and completists who need every last bit of merch, they know they'll make a return.