Tremble All You Want ... discuss

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Hey ... go here: timeanddate.com

I'm in PST San Francisco. Anything I post after 3:00pm your time is while I'm half asleep and will likely be unintelligible :emoji_zzz:
Yeah, sorry if I imposed. I thought "hey he could've been more considerate and spoonfed me a bit" but I overlooked the fact that it was your bed time. I guess I'm just frustrated. If your unintelligible still allows you to reference a movie/character from Antarctica, I wonder what MY unintelligible is. sad5.gif I can only wish I was as knowledgeable as you. I feel so small and dumb when talking to you. Oh well, the solution should be me studying more instead of whining and getting mad about it. Sorry again for that mishap. I lost it yesterday.

It was a very very popular series and Americans reference it often. There are many who believe that every situation you might encounter in life ... there's a Seinfeld episode about it.
I think I may have encountered a reference to it in some American articles I read but I just brushed it aside. If I referenced a Filipino series I'm sure you'll go ???? too.

Ritual is a really good film, not sure if it's in your wheelhouse, though.
I kind of liked what was written on its poster. Ugh, look at what you did to me. I start looking at posters now!

In the three other movies I mention here, they all focus on the target in real time, like a voyeur. Tremble was assembled post-production. Yes we see Mayu walking here and there, interacting with people, making funny faces, etc., but think about how much of it was done with tricky camera work. And sound design.
Hmmm................... now that I think about it. I somehow can see this. I think I was too engrossed at her character and the actress herself that I failed to see these aspects.

In Tremble I was charmed by the actress, her performance.
I agree. I think it is Mayu (the actress) who brought the film together. She may be the star of the film, but she also acted like it. She was born to play the role. She really was the star. I wonder if it was a different actress who played the part, will I still like it? Given that I like the character. If it was an actress less charming and less-charismatic....I wonder.

Finally, Where Have All the Flowers Gone is a film nobody has seen except me. I mentioned it because it is a surreal master class in that time/space continuum jumping thing.
Thanks for explaining further. I literally looked like a question mark yesterday while reading your post.

By the way, I really love the film because I think it brought the "cute" word to another level but aside from that, there's another reason. Its what you said unrelated to film which is mind-boggling and made me laugh like never before. I'll tell later on your sleeping time so you can't reply anymore :emoji_blush: and you can have something to curse me for over the weekend as I will not be here. Hehe.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

Just how charismatic Mayu is: she gets paired to two men who have issues on their own and deserve to be dissected like a frog yet we don't care. They're like a "who?" because of Mayu. Hehe.

That's how powerful her presence is.

sitenoise

Just how charismatic Mayu is: she gets paired to two men who have issues on their own and deserve to be dissected like a frog yet we don't care. They're like a "who?" because of Mayu. Hehe.

That's how powerful her presence is.
I dunno about that, but it is a movie about a girl so she should get the bulk of the attention. As I mentioned Ni serves as a metaphor to my reaction to the film as a whole. What I found amazing about his character is not just how loser-y he is but how courageously authentic he is in the things he blurts out. "What's with the scary face" was to me a really perceptive, honest question. There is a way that someone could ask that question in an argumentative way, but the way he asks it is innocent, inquisitive, and reveals a lot about his character. "I'm at the like-level". Brilliant!

plsletitrain

I dunno about that, but it is a movie about a girl so she should get the bulk of the attention.
Hmmmm....you have a point. But if she was a weak actress, she would have been annoying. I know an annoying girl when I see one. I should know, I'm one.

What I found amazing about his character is not just how loser-y he is but how courageously authentic he is in the things he blurts out. "What's with the scary face" was to me a really perceptive, honest question. There is a way that someone could ask that question in an argumentative way, but the way he asks it is innocent, inquisitive, and reveals a lot about his character. "I'm at the like-level". Brilliant!
confused2.gif

Here you go :emoji_alien: again.

If I was Mayu and Ni talked to me that way, I'd ask him, Are you........................okay????????????????

sitenoise

if she was a weak actress, she would have been annoying.
Absolutely. I think I'm just trying to move the goal posts a little wider and say it was a small perfect storm, not just a girl. What I refer to as its movie-ness, or fiction as you say (I think)--all the tricky things that are outside just observing a person with a camera. I think that stuff is hard to do. I think the director did well incorporating the fantasy stuff. Even little things like when they were playing ping pong and Ni smashes it off the table, cut to Mayu's face, the way it was lit.

Ni was annoying as the f-word, pushed to the limits of annoying, but he wasn't dangerous or harmful--his stalking behavior could make a young woman feel in danger but it seemed like the point of pushing the limit of his annoying-ness was that danger was off the table. There are too many Japanese movies about women who cling to men who are dangerous and harmful. Tremble was refreshingly not that.

And if he shouts "Come on let's make my baby!!!!" to my neighbors I'll push him to the rain.
Totally! But then he turns around and says to her "I couldn't say that to your face". Pure stupid sweet.

So Ni was annoying and Mayu got off track in a couple ways, mostly in her treatment of her co-worker friend. It seems like that's what movies and religion are all about: redemption. You can't be redeemed if you haven't sinned. We love seeing people come to their senses and choose the right path.

I sat through the whole movie preparing for how pissed I was going to be if Mayu and Ni got together. He was annoying. And I'm not fully onboard with the notion you should "choose the one who loves you". And then BOOM! I know what's going to happen, I disagree with it, it happens. How do I feel? I feel good. Mostly because I loved the last shot. I applaud the film for pulling that rabbit out of the hat. It wasn't Ryan Gosling's photoshopped abs in soft focus. It was two people knotted up in a stairwell. Felt like home.

hmmm , maybe it's getting late lost.gif

lol01.gif

plsletitrain

I think the director did well incorporating the fantasy stuff. Even little things like when they were playing ping pong and Ni smashes it off the table, cut to Mayu's face, the way it was lit.
I never pay attention to those details, but now that you point it out, I can see them.......... Man your eyes, you should trademark it--its one of a kind!!!!!!!

Ni was annoying as the f-word, pushed to the limits of annoying, but he wasn't dangerous or harmful--his stalking behavior could make a young woman feel in danger but it seemed like the point of pushing the limit of his annoying-ness was that danger was off the table.
Yeah, where can you see a guy who looks like his saliva is still falling while he talks to a girl then puts lip balm on his lips!

Totally! But then he turns around and says to her "I couldn't say that to your face". Pure stupid sweet.
Ugh, it was irritating. Trying hard to appear sweet but too overkill. He couldn't say to her face so he said while turning back. How literal. I wasn't impressed.

And then BOOM! I know what's going to happen, I disagree with it, it happens. How do I feel?
My eyebrows may have twisted a lot during that last shot. It was like watching Ryan Gosling's photoshopped abs. Wait, you studied Ryan Gosling's abs and found out it was photoshopped? mjeyds.gif

plsletitrain

And I'm not fully onboard with the notion you should "choose the one who loves you".
Maybe this is where the gender differences in philosophy lie. Its easier for you guys because you choose who you date. Of course you won't court the girl you don't like. Its different for women. Or at least the women in my world. We only wait. We only get to choose from those who courted us so no matter how we longed for our crush to invite us for coffee, we can't do anything about it and then eventually learn to love the one who took the effort. After all, its not that hard to love someone who showed you kindness. I'll stamp bullsh-t on whoever says you can never learn to love someone. You only fail to because you're fixated to someone else, but doesn't mean you can't give a chance to the one who takes the effort.

Ahem. I'm a love guru now. :emoji_butterfly:

plsletitrain

I don't know why I can't stand him. He hasn't done anything wrong. I have this prejudiced look on him that I just don't like him. I need to examine myself if I get the time and reflect what has he done to me.

plsletitrain

One of the reasons why I love this film more.

I accidentally watched this.
Yes, I accidentally watched it.
No worries--the Spoiler box really has a spoiler. I won't pull the same prank.
How do you accidentally watch a film? mjeyds.gif

How do you “accidentally” press the play button? How did your eyes “accidentally” open to see the film? How did your brain “accidentally” process and comprehend, for 2 hours, the film???? Its either you watched the film or you didn’t—there’s no such thing as accidentally watching a film! It’s like saying you accidentally brushed your teeth!

NO ANSWERS WILL BE ENTERTAINED!!!!!!!

I'm outta here. I'm making an embarrassment of myself lol. Sorry if my posts didn't contribute to humanity. I'll do better next time.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Ok, my sister and niece have left. I spent the last week trying to introduce them to Korean movies, and a HK movie. The results were...mixed.

So here I am trying to decide whether to watch Tremble All You Want. I've skimmed the thread trying to get impressions without reading too many plot elements or spoilers. And after 34 posts from y'all going back and forth...I still can't tell if @sitenoise liked the movie or not. He speaks in riddles. I think @plsletitrain liked it but even that I'm not sure about.

Anyhoo, if the only version out there is a dodgy version with fan subs, and no glowing recommendation here (that I can tell), I think I'll pass. Don't hate me.

sitenoise

Anyhoo, if the only version out there is a dodgy version with fan subs, and no glowing recommendation here (that I can tell), I think I'll pass. Don't hate me.
I gave it 5 stars. But it's complicated.

I'm not sure it's your kind of film, but I think if you watched it you wouldn't be offended. Both @ebossert and @Daniel Larusso gave it glowing reviews. 236 ratings at letterbox averaged 3.5/5.

And, btw
Bolero, which is classical music's version of 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall
lool11.gif

plsletitrain

You need to watch it to see a girl literally running for the hills after a guy tells her he likes her and the guy literally disappearing out of shame.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
...I still can't tell if @sitenoise liked the movie or not. He speaks in riddles.
I got through the first 10 minutes. I was struggling to comprehend what the hell this girl was saying, and rapidly losing the struggle to care.

Maybe it would have settled into a rhythm and become less of a chore to try and work out what the hell she was on about, but I didn't have the strength to go on. Believe me, the dialogue (or should I say monologue?) in this film is nowhere near as lucid and straight to the point as @sitenoise's commentary!