Review U.F.O. episode 24Timelash

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Another amazing episode with stunning fx considering it was made in 1970. Second favourite of mine, can't put it above Mindbender mainly because of a flaw in the story, which doesn't spoil the story but it aggravates me a little.
We all know of the Star Trek episode Wink Of An Eye, where Kirk is speeded up to a different time continuum and the Enterprise crew are motionless in their own timesteam. Here Straker and Colonel Lake return to SHADO HQ from Heathrow airport to discover SHADO is frozen in time. The HQ is trapped in a time bubble. Straker and Lake can walk around unaffected as everyone is motionless. A traitorous SHADO operative, Turner , has operated a piece of alien equipment given to him that has done this to SHADO HQ whilst allowing him to speed up to a different continuum, all in preparation for a UFO landing at HQ , and take over. Straker and Lake attacked by a UFO which is itself in this other continuum has inadvertently bathed Straker and Lake in an energy field that allows them also access to this speeded up reality.
We have fantastic scenes of Straker and Lake chasing Turner around the film studios above SHADO HQ while all is motionless around them.
But there's more!..Turner seems totally invincible, even when Straker machine guns him at close range, the bullets have no effect.
Turner " you idiot Straker, the closer the aliens get the more power they transmit to me. I can play time like a trumpet. You can only see me where I've been or where I'll be , not where I am"
There seems no way of stopping Turner and reversing what he's done. He is like invisible, but can be seen, but only a few seconds in the past or future, not where he exactly is at present.
A bafflingly brilliant episode.

Last edited: