Review Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
(Valérian et la Cité des mille planètes in French) is an upcoming 2017 English-language French science fiction action film produced, written and directed by Luc Besson. The film is based on the French science fiction comics series Valérian and Laureline, written by Pierre Christin and illustrated by Jean-Claude Mézières. It stars Dane DeHaan as Valerian and Cara Delevingne as Laureline. The film is scheduled for release on 21 July 2017 in the United States and on 26 July in France.

Last edited:

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
I still have my set of old Valerian comic albums, mostly the English translations, a couple in French. This could be fun, though the live-action Valerian looks a little--umm--metrosexual--compared to his comic counterpart. I'd actually have liked to see this done in an animated style that was close to the original. But I'd watch this out of curiosity and pure nostalgia.

Doctor Omega

“Valerian” Final Trailer On Wednesday

final-valerian-trailer-this-wednesday.jpg

STX Entertainment has released a thirty-second teaser for the final trailer for Luc Besson’s new sci-fi adventure “Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets”. This third and final preview will hit on Wednesday.

Based on the French comic series “Valerian and Laureline,” the $180 million project marks a huge risk and is the most expensive indie movie ever made in Europe. Besson recently confirmed that while there were 188 visual effects shots in his last sci-fi epic, 1997’s “The Fifth Element,” this one boasts 2,734.

That said, the film’s U.S. marketing via indie distributor STX Entertainment has come under fire for being rather under-served at this point with minimalists posters. A very well received teaser trailer late last year preceded a still strong but slightly less well-regarded second trailer the other month, both of which focusing arguably perhaps too much on the world building and not enough on the storyline.

Set in the 28th century and follows agents Valerian and Laureline who, on an assignment from the Minister of Defense, undertake a mission to Alpha – an ever-expanding metropolis where various species from across the universe have united their talents and resources for the betterment of all.

However, there’s a mysterious dark force at the center of Alpha which threatens not only the citizens of that planet but the rest of the universe as well. Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Clive Owen, Kris Wu and John Goodman also star.

“Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets” opens on July 21st.

Doctor Omega

Final Trailer: “Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets”

final-trailer-valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-696x464.jpg

EuropaCorp has unveiled the third and final trailer for Luc Besson’s $180 million sci-fi epic “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” based on the classic French comic series.

Set this time to an orchestral version of Stevie Wonder’s “Pastime Paradise,” the clip deals with some story elements, showcases one big sequence, and generally forgoes some of the cute creatures and ‘place of wonder’ tone of the previous trailers for something darker and more urgent.

“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” opens around much of the world on July 21st.

Doctor Omega

Elizabeth Debicki Lends Voice To “Valerian”

elizabeth-debicki-lends-voice-to-valerian-696x464.jpg

Elizabeth Debicki has come onboard as a last-minute addition to Luc Besson’s big-budget 28th century-set sci-fi epic “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” which opens in July.

Debicki isn’t playing a screen role but rather just lending her voice to the film and is likely the female voice you heard in the recent trailer describing the city of Alpha.

The actress is coming off a raved about turn as the High Priestess of the Sovereign in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” and is currently filming Steve McQueen’s “Widows” opposite Viola Davis.

STX Entertainment and EuropaCorp are releasing “Valerian” which also stars Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, Kris Wu, John Goodman, and Ethan Hawke.

Doctor Omega

“Valerian” Isn’t As Big A Risk As It Appears

besson-talks-about-that-valerian-trailer-696x464.jpg

There’s several big gambles at the movies this Summer, but arguably none is bigger than Luc Besson’s independently funded sci-fi comic adaptation “Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets”.

Boasting a massive price tag of $210 million U.S. dollars, it would appear on the surface that Besson has staked the future of his EuropaCorp studio on the movie. However, in a new interview with Screen, Besson reveals that the film has already paid for itself and the economic risks involved are minimal:

“Like every film company, we will only greenlight a project if at least 80% of its budget is covered. With ‘Valerian,’ we’ve covered 96% of the budget with pre-sales. The risk to EuropaCorp is 4% of the budget so there’s no actual financial risk. The risk for the company is more one of notoriety. If the film is a big flop, we’ll lose credibility for making these sorts of films. The risk is not financial, but rather human.”

As one of the few original tentpole features opening this Summer, the movie does stand a better chance than expected domestically considering how U.S. domestic audiences are obviously engulfed in franchise fatigue and are staying away in droves this season.

How the reviews for the film play out though will have an impact. “Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets” opens on July 21st.

Doctor Omega

Besson Has Already Penned “Valerian” Sequel

besson-has-already-penned-valerian-sequel-696x464.jpg

However the film goes at the box-office, filmmaker Luc Besson is so enraptured with “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” and its French comic source material that he’s already raring to go on a follow-up.

Talking with Nerdist, the filmmaker reveals he’s already mapping the storylines for two more movies:

“I finished the number 2 already and I’m writing the number 3. I don’t know if we will do it because it’s not up to me. It’s up to the audience if they like it. I’m enjoying writing it. So I don’t even wait. I’m just writing for myself. I finished the [sequel] already, then I [got] bored a month ago, so I said ‘let’s write the third’.”

The new film marks the most expensive movie ever produced in France, budgeted at a whopping $180 million, but thanks to pre-sales has already made back most of its budget.

“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” opens in cinemas on Friday.

Doctor Omega

Reviews are coming in and they are splitting opinion.

Opinions are differing wildly, with no consensus being reached as of yet.