News Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Sony Sets “Morbius” and “Venom 2” Dates?

venom-gets-eminem-song-spider-man-talk-696x464.jpg

Sony Pictures has officially announced today that they will release two untitled Sony/Marvel projects in 2020 – specifically one on July 10th and another on October 2nd.

With “Spider-Man: Far from Home” set for July 2019 (and so no Spidey in 2020) and the solo Silver Sable and Black Cat films stalled in development, there’s only two real possibilities – the currently in pre-production Jared Leto-led “Morbius: The Living Vampire” for the July date, and a sequel to this year’s smash hit “Venom”.

Overcoming bad reviews, the first “Venom” was shot for a relatively cheap $100 million and has so far racked up an astonishing $780 million worldwide, making it a much-needed hit for Sony.

Indeed though 2019 is stocked to the gills with superhero films, 2020 is actually pretty anaemic so far on that front with the only revealed projects so far being Warners/DC’s “Birds of Prey” and Disney/Marvel’s “The Eternals”.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Co-Writer Won’t Return For Sequel

venom-co-writer-wont-return-for-sequel-696x464.jpg

“Venom” co-writer Jeff Pinker has confirmed that a follow-up to Sony’s megahit Marvel adaptation is happening, but he won’t be involved.

The film opened in October to weak reviews, but has defied expectations and become a global hit, especially in China. It has now tallied around $851 million worldwide.

Sony has already set aside an October 2020 release date for a Marvel sequel film which is widely expected to be the “Venom” follow-up, and speaking with IGN this week Pinker revealed that all he can say is it is going forward:

“I can’t say anything other than that it is happening. I am not [working on it]. As of right now, I am not… Without revealing anything that I’m not allowed to reveal, it is not impossible that in a future/upcoming Venom movie, Spider-Man will play a significant role… I think it’s fair to say that everyone involved would be very excited by a Spider-Man/Venom movie.”

Despite the film’s commercial success, Sony is expected to take a slightly different direction creatively with the follow-up – probably leaning more into the body horror, romantic and darkly comedic elements of the original as opposed to the superhero elements.

Woody Harrelson was teased as taking on the role of the villain Carnage in the next one in a post-credits scene.

Doctor Omega

Kelly Marcel Returns To Pen “Venom 2”

venom-gets-a-rom-com-blu-ray-trailer-696x464.jpg

Sony Pictures has officially begun moving forward on the “Venom” sequel with Kelly Marcel, one of the screenwriters from the first movie, having been hired to pen to script.

Marcel’s deal was said to be a significant one and also means she will executive produce the follow-up, which will see Tom Hardy return as the symbiote-infused Eddie Brock.

Michelle Williams is expected to rejoin Hardy, as is Woody Harrelson as the villain Carnage, but a director has not been set yet. The first film’s helmer Reuben Fleischer may not return as he’ll be busy with the “Zombieland” sequel for almost all of this year.

The first film grossed $855 million worldwide and the studio recently set an untitled Marvel sequel for October 2020 which led to the conclusion it would be for this. Arad, Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal will return as producers.

Doctor Omega

Venom

Producer Amy Pascal has confirmed this week that while a sequel to “Venom” is in the works, there is “no timetable” at present for the project which means the film’s previously targeted October 2nd 2020 release date is almost certainly a no go. Critics were mixed on the Spidey spin-off, but the movie made $856 million at the worldwide box office so a sequel was inevitable. At present, there’s no word on the film’s director, script, or cast. [Source: CBM]