Review Venom (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTU3MTQyNjQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgxNDczNTM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego "Venom" to save his life.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Tom Hardy Signs On To Play “Venom”

tom-hardy-venom-01-480x288.jpg

Sony Pictures has announced that Academy Award-nominated actor Tom Hardy has signed on for the lead role in “Venom”.

First appearing in the “Spider-Man” comic book series as an alien costume worn by Peter Parker, the creature ultimately left Peter Parker and merged with photographer Eddie Brock to become the antihero known as Venom.

It’s expected this film, announced in March, will not tie to the new Tom Holland-led “Spider-Man” franchise. Scott Rosenberg (“Pain & Gain”) and Jeff Pinkner (“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”) are penning the script while Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”) will direct the movie which is slated to begin production this Fall ahead of a debut on October 5th next year.

Doctor Omega

Spider-Man Will Not Appear In “Venom”

spider-man-will-not-appear-in-venom-696x464.jpg

If he hasn’t made it clear already, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige made it very plain on the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” world premiere red carpet that Spider-Man will NOT be appearing in Sony’s upcoming “Venom” movie.

Asked that question directly by Variety, he responded: “No. No, I think the folks there are making a great ‘Venom’ movie and I don’t know much about it, but I know they’re off to a good start with Tom Hardy.”

Separately, producer Amy Pascal tells Fandom that the hiring of “Zombieland” helmer Ruben Fleischer should give us an indication of the tone of the planned “Venom” film:

“Well, Ruben is a very talented, ironic, funny guy. He did a great job with Zombieland, so when you think of that mixed with Venom, I think that tells you what it should be.”

She also tried to clear up the confusion over the MCU connections of the film and the other “Spider-Man” spin-offs in the works at Sony:

“First, there is Spider-Man happily in the place where he’s supposed to be which is in the Marvel Universe. I think everything comes from that. This is the signpost, the tentpole, the signature and… the other movies that Sony’s going to make, in their relationship to this [MCU] Spider-Man, take place in this [separate Sony] world. Although you’re not going to see them in the Marvel Universe, it’s in the same reality.”

Pascal also confirmed that events in the direct sequel to “Spider-Man: Homecoming” will kick off minutes after the events in the fourth “Avengers” film.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Shoot Delayed A Few Weeks?

venom-shoot-delayed-a-few-weeks-696x464.jpg

In June came word that Sony was moving forward quickly on its “Venom” movie which would adapt the Spider-Man villain on the big screen in his own feature not connected to the MCU.

At the time the report suggested filming could begin by September in Atlanta and New York City. Today, Omega Underground is reporting that the film has begun hiring in Atlanta for principal photography on the movie which will kick off likely a few weeks later than originally anticipated.

Tom Hardy is slated to play the title character, a guy who bonds with an alien symbiote and becomes Venom who then faces off against Carnage. We know the “Venom” film will heavily focus on the character’s horror roots and boast inspiration from the likes of John Carpenter and David Cronenberg.

“Venom” opens late next year.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Shoot Delayed To Late October?

venom-shoot-delayed-to-late-october-696x464.jpg

Filming on the Tom Hardy-led “Spider-Man” spin-off feature “Venom” has been delayed yet again.

Omega Underground reports that shooting on the project is now slated to kick off on October 23rd in Atlanta and New York and potentially San Francisco.

Taking place outside of the MCU continuity, Hardy stars as Venom in the Ruben Fleischer-directed project which is said to have more of a horror/sci-fi tone than the main series. Riz Ahmed has also been rumored as a potential villain in the role of Carnage, but that’s not confirmed.

Filming was originally to begin around now but was pushed back to the end of this month and has now been delayed again to late October.

The film is currently scheduled to hit cinemas on October 5th 2018, so the date is unlikely to be impacted by this delay.

Doctor Omega

Michelle Williams In Talks For “Venom”

michelle-williams-in-talks-for-venom-696x464.jpg

Michelle Williams is reportedly in talks to joins Tom Hardy in “Venom,” the upcoming “Spider-Man” spin-off project in development at Sony Pictures.

Riz Ahmed is also slated to be involved in the Ruben Fleischer-directed project which would mark a change of pace for Williams who tends to avoid big-budget, visual effects-heavy fare (Sam Raimi’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” a notable exception).

Character details regarding who she will play have not been revealed. Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner wrote the script and the film is on the fast track with an October 5th 2018 release targeted.

Doctor Omega

Production Begins On The “Venom” Film

production-begins-on-the-venom-film-696x464.jpg

It has taken years to get to this point, but finally production is officially underway on the long-gestating “Spider-Man” spin-off film “Venom” at Sony Pictures.

The first photo has been released showing off the film’s star Tom Hardy on-set as he prepares to take on challengers as Eddie Brock – the man who bonds with an alien symbiote to become the many fanged Venom.

Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams, Jenny Slate, Reid Scott and Scott Haze are all slated to co-star in the film which Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”) is directing with a script by Scott Rosenberg & Jeff Pinkner.

Doctor Omega

New Details On “Venom” Movie Storyline

new-details-on-venom-movie-storyline-696x464.jpg

Following on from their presentation at Comic-Con Experience 2017 in Sao Paulo for the animated feature “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”, Sony Pictures offered some updates on the live-action “Venom” movie.

Director Ruben Fleischer (and briefly Tom Hardy) appeared live via satellite to fans to shed some light on what to expect. The biggest reveal is that the movie is primarily based on two comic book runs: ‘Lethal Protector’ and ‘Planet of the Symbiotes’.

The former comics storyline sees Venom and Peter Parker agreeing to leave each other alone as long as Venom doesn’t commit any more crimes, so Venom packs up and leaves NYC for San Francisco. There he tackles five new offspring of the Venom Symbiote: Scream, Phage, Riot, Lasher, and Agony.

‘Planet’ on the other hand saw Earth invaded by an army of symbiotes with Venom teaming up with Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider to stop them. It has long been confirmed Tom Holland’s Peter Parker is not an official part of the “Venom” universe.

Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams, Jenny Slate, Reid Scott, and Scott Haze co-star in the film which opens October 5th next year.

Doctor Omega

Tom Holland “Venom” Cameo Rumored

tom-holland-venom-cameo-rumored-696x464.jpg

No-one still seems to be quite sure just how much or little the upcoming “Venom” movie will tie back to Sony’s revived “Spider-Man” franchise and in doing so becoming a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

All indications before now seemed to be that the currently filming R-rated “Venom,” starring Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams, stands apart from the MCU and so we shouldn’t expect current Spider-Man actor Tom Holland to appear.

However, documentary director Jon Schnepp (“The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?”) recently appeared on Collider’s Movie Talk and claims we’ll see Holland’s Spider-Man appearing in Venom:

“Spider-Man is going to be in Venom. For the last couple of months, we’ve been hearing how Sony is keeping it all separated, and Spider-Man is in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but every other character that’s in the Spider-Man universe is separate. All I’m saying is that Spider-Man – and I’m talking about Tom Holland’s Spider-Man – is going to be in Venom.”

Unlike ‘Homecoming,’ Marvel Studios isn’t involved in the production of “Venom” at all and thus has no say over developing characters that would exist in their universe. Production on the MCU film “Spider-Man: Homecoming 2” begins later this year for a 2019 release. That Hashtag Show also adds that Germany and UK are looking to be major locations in the film.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Gets Parker, Not Spider-Man?

venom-gets-parker-not-spider-man-696x464.jpg

Yesterday came a report that Sony’s upcoming “Venom” film won’t be entirely standalone and will film scenes with the current screen incarnation of Spider-Man played by Tom Holland.

Previously on several occasions, there’d been suggestions it was a possibility. However, depending on whom you asked at Marvel or Sony, it was either a sure thing or simply wouldn’t happen.

In a new episode of the Collider Heroes podcast, host Jon Schnepp has revealed more details and says that Tom Holland has been filming scenes on the Venom set, but only as Peter Parker and not as Spider-Man:

“Tom Holland was on set filming scenes on Venom for at least two days as Peter Parker. Okay, so I’m not saying Spider-Man is in the film. When I say Tom Holland’s Spider-Man is in the film, I’m saying Peter Parker is in the film. This is a cameo. I don’t know what it is. I didn’t read the script.”

Schnepp also broke the original news yesterday about Holland being in the film which is rumored to be kicking off an R-rated Marvel universe for Sony. Neither Sony or Marvel has confirmed the validity of either report.

The report comes in the wake of Tom Hardy seemingly confirming that Carnage is the main villain recently. Riz Ahmed, Woody Harrelson and Michelle Williams co-star in the Ruben Fleischer-directed film which opens in October.

Doctor Omega

New Set Photos As “Venom” Wraps Filming

new-set-photos-as-venom-wraps-filming.jpg

Filming only began in late October on Sony Pictures’ “Spider-Man” spin-off “Venom,” but new photos from the set of the Tom Hardy-led film suggest it has wrapped principal photography.

Over the weekend, Hardy sent out a series of Instagram photos of himself posing with crew members and some posts featuring the word ‘wrapped’. One such post said:

“Wrapped SAN Fran Jam DuN. Sound Team Venom MVP crew shout out to all the crew on Antidote legends all. Outstanding work team. Thank you all. Am humbled and absolute Honour and a privilege. You killed it. Smashed that Thank you for letting me run with you.”

Sony hasn’t offered any official word confirming that “Venom” principal photography is over. As previously reported, the film will not feature Spider-Man even as actor Tom Holland was spotted on set and is seemingly making a cameo as Peter Parker.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Carnage Cameo & Trailer Fallout

venom-carnage-cameo-and-trailer-fallout-696x464.jpg

There’s been plenty of speculation about the upcoming “Spider-Man” spin-off film “Venom,” including the villain which has previously been teased as being fan-favorite Carnage (aka. Cletus Kasady) and/or other offsprings of the symbiote like Scream, Phage, Riot, Lasher, and Agony.

Carnage is all-but confirmed to appear in the film in some capacity, and now That Hashtag Show has posted a report suggesting said capacity is far more limited than some fans are probably hoping for. The site claims the character will only appear in one scene towards the end.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD

The report says that the scene, which could be a post-credits scene, sees Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) landing himself in San Quentin prison, and Dr. Ashley Kafka introduces him to Kasady. At this point in time, a piece of the Venom symbiote attaches itself to a new host.

END POTENTIAL SPOILERS

This follows in the wake of the release of the first trailer for the film this past week, a clip that has been met with a fairly negative response. With the project having only just wrapped, the clip was seemingly rushed out to get a copy in front of “Black Panther” – in the process it has only exacerbated both curiosity and concern about the project.

“Deadpool” creator Rob Liefeld was amongst the harsh critics, taking to Twitteryesterday to trash the clip and said: “Sony, stop calling bloggers and expressing your dissatisfaction that they are reflecting the truth. You ran that teaser that wasn’t ready for prime time! Look in the mirror.”

Additionally, a Sony representative tells MovieWeb that a report from a few days ago about Hardy’s Venom and a John Krasinski-voiced Peter Parker appearing in the animated feature “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” are not true. “Venom” opens in cinemas October 5th.

Doctor Omega

Cool trailer! Certainly looks to be a better use, at least, of the character than in SPIDERMAN 3.

And I would like to officially welcome you to the forum Dante! :emoji_alien:

But be warned.....

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Never been a big fan of Venom but this looks pretty good. Definitely a massive improvement on what they did with the character in Spiderman 3

Doctor Omega

Fleischer Explains “Venom” Film Inspiration

venom-trailer-was-a-surprise-big-hit-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Ruben Fleischer has spoken about his inspirations for “Venom,” the upcoming Tom Hardy-led “Spider-Man” spin-off film based on the Marvel antihero character. Hardy essentially takes on the dual roles of Eddie Brock and Venom himself in the film.

Speaking with Empire, Fleischer revealed some of the darker inspirations he took for the film and how this character is quite different to anything else we’ve seen from Marvel onscreen and he suggests we won’t see any “Spider-Man” connection here:

“Venom is unique within the canon of Marvel. You can’t say there are a lot of other heroes like him. There’s something about the tone of Venom that’s darker and more menacing. He’s not a conventional superhero by any stretch.

Among my influences were John Carpenter, David Cronenberg, even An American Werewolf In London. Unlike most superheroes who get bitten by a spider or invent their own Batsuit, Venom is really the combination of two beings to create a third.

This feels very much like Venom’s movie. It’s the introduction of the character. As to where it will go in future movies, and who he’ll run across, I can’t say.”

Fleischer is also very happy with Hardy’s work in the film with the actor said to be really exploiting the dual personality angle:

“Tom’s just so incredibly entertaining to watch. Duality is clearly something that fascinates him, so when you watch the way he’s acting opposite himself, it’s really impressive; just how he’s able to conjure an entirely separate version of himself as the symbiote. It’s a tour de force performance.”

The “Venom” film is currently slated for release on October 5th.

Doctor Omega

“Venom” Gets Eminem Song & Spider-Man Talk

Yesterday, Eminem launched a surprise album titled “Kamikaze” which also sports an unexpected bonus – a song for the upcoming “Venom” soundtrack. The track, imaginatively titled “Venom” and which includes numerous plot points about the film, can be listened to via Spotify below.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2SL6oP2YAEQbqsrkOzRGO4

The song hits as it has been an odd week for the (sort of) “Spider-Man” spin-off film. Director Ruben Fleischer and actor Tom Hardy have begun promotional interviews for the film which still has many lingering questions over it – even as it’s reportedly on track for a very strong opening weekend in early October.

Fleischer spoke with The L.A. Times who straight up wanted the answer – is Tom Holland’s Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the movie? Fleischer can’t say either way: “I honestly don’t know what I’m allowed to say. I mean, I know the answer – I’ve seen the movie. But I don’t want to get in trouble for saying something I’m not supposed to.”

By all indications though, Holland and Spider-Man have zero involvement in the film. Further interviews in Total Film (via Movieweb) recently have Fleischer confirming the film borrows from the iconic Lethal Protector storyline:

“It’s very much a pure Venom story which is something that we’ve done with this film – try to make it as much Venom’s movie as we could. You know, we have limitations in the inception of the movie… And then also the title, Lethal Protector. At that point, Venom has achieved this antihero quality. But he’s not just a pure villain. As it says, a lethal protector. So he’s a violent vigilante…so he’s somewhere in between.”

Hardy confirmed he has signed up for three films and never wore a motion-capture costume when filming the project because it wasn’t required as the eyes and mouth of Venom did not need to match up with Hardy’s real ones. They also used “a 7ft tall basketball player in a Lycra suit” for the physical shots.

Fleischer says the film works great as a standalone adventure, even if it does lay some minor groundwork for potential more Marvel films:

“The movie’s just all about Venom. so that’s what we’re focused on. It’s introducing Eddie and Venom. And then as to where it goes from there? We’ll have to see.. We definitely are thinking about this world as a big evolving world, and we want it to have the option of going in different directions. You’ll have to see what groundwork has been laid.”

“Venom” opens in cinemas October 5th.