Review Warriors of the Deep (1984)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
the_fifth_doctor.jpg

The Doctor, Tegan and Turlough land inside an undersea secret military base in wartime Earth, 2084. The base is about to be attacked on two fronts. Enemy agents within work to neutralize the base while an assault team of aquatic Silurians prepare without for a surprise attack.

Your thoughts on this story....

On to the next story.....

THE AWAKENING

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-awakening-1984.5308/

Back to the previous story....

THE FIVE DOCTORS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-five-doctors-1983.3692/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This is a pretty disappointing piece of garbage. The redesigned Silurian and Sea Devil costumes were atrocious nowhere near as good as the originals. Writer Johnny Byrne has stated that the lighting was a big factor in this serials troubles. His script called for a dark , dank , gloomy sea base, which would have given the whole production a bit of atmosphere. Ingrid Pitt's Dr Solow karate kicking the Myrka is another addition that Byrne wasn't happy with;
" nowhere in my script did I describe Solow as a karate kicking Rhine Maiden"
The denouement with the Hexachromite was flagged up about twenty minutes before the end, so we were even denied a decent ending.
I don't know exactly where this stands in Classic Who appreciation but it's safe to say that this is in the bottom ten.
However Ian McCulloch and Tom Adams were good. I've always rated Adams, never really saw enough of him.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I believe that this was also the story that Michael Grade caught sight of and decided that the time had come for the axe to fall on Doctor Who as soon as possible if he could help it. "Cardboard things clonking across the floor; you'd just sit and laugh at it."

JNT was given the choice of making this in a rushed way or cancelling it.

A pity, in retrospect, that he gave the go-ahead.

Having said that, I recorded this on audio at the time and, stripped of that harsh lighting, with the costume disasters fading from memory, I decided that it worked a lot better on audio after a few listens.

Then it came out on vhs and I was reminded of how shoddy the visual side of the story was.