Review Welcome to Paradox (1998) - episode 4 "News from D Street"

Was this episode good news for you? Grade it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Sep 07, 1998 on Syfy

Mr. K. is an old-school detective who has been tasked to find a mysterious man who has a list of names someone wants. Mr. K encounters sinister characters, an alluring artist and the real self he never knew existed along the way.

CAST

A Martinez ... Inquiry Agent Rasheed Kay
Claudette Mink ... Marcia
J. Douglas Stewart
Ron Sauvé
Michael Philip ... The Host
Martin Evans ... Victor Lazarre
David Thomson ... Mr. James
John Dadey ... Corporate Suit
Rick Burgess ... Barman
James Leard ... Taxi Clerk
Mike Dopud ... Heavy-set Man
Timothy Edwards ... Young Man
Erick Kaffka ... Beta Cop

WRITING CREDITS

Miguel Tejada-Flores ... (teleplay)
Andrew Weiner ... (original story)
Andrew Wiener ... (short story)

Mad-Pac

That was an enjoyable episode with a classical sci-fi theme. It brings several of those tropes hardcore fans never get tired of: film noir, VR, a hard-boiled detective, a beautiful woman with a dubious agenda. And considering the protagonist's ethnicity, at times I thought I was watching a live action version of Grim Fandango, except that instead of souls, they would deal with consciousnesses inside a computer.

Considering the show is old, one can overlook the fact that this kind of story seems to have been told many times already. We should have in mind that this episode was aired in 1998, and movies like The Matrix and The Thirteenth Floor (which I highly recommend) only got to the movie theaters one year later, (while the book Simulacron-3 is from 1964.) There's also a short story I read once about this very theme which was written way before the show and the Matrix movies, and I think I've located the book in my closet, but it's under a big pile of other books so it'll take me a while to get it. But I do want to check who wrote it and in what year.

OK, the fact everything was happening in the Matrix, I mean, in the "Grid," was sort of evident, but perhaps I think that because I probably watched this episode already, and have seen and read this kind of story several times, but also because these events are also supposed to happen in Betaville, and all of a sudden it would seem that there's a part of Betaville in which people behave as if they were in a film noir. And drove old VW Beetles instead of new ones (Volkswagen must have provided the show with some generous sponsorship). Obviously that had to be a constructed reality.

One problem I find, though, is that even if the man with the list could escape into this virtual world to evade his assassins, his body would still be physically present in the VR facilities inside a pod, and if the bad guys located that, they could easily capture him. The fact that the assassin went inside the VR program to try and kill the executive in the virtual world seemed confusing and convoluted. And in the end, Kay is dying and chooses to be put in VR again, his vital signs dropping to practically zero, but he would still have a flicker of life. But even then, he would be dying, right? Slowly. endlessly dying because life is not 100% suspended once you're inside one of the pods. That seemed confusing as well.

And finally there's the Host's narration, which doesn't make much sense in the context of the story, and the feeling I have is that the writers write that monologue with a general idea of what the episode is, and then it may happen that the story will contradict what the Narrator said. "In the future, the difference between the real world and cyberspace is a thin line. Rasheed Kay has just crossed it and found there's no coming back." Which sounds asinine when the character did precisely that: he came back.

But in spite of flaws like this, even today this is still a good work of classical science fiction. "News from D Street" gets a list of 8 names of innocent men and women blackmailed into spilling secrets for the bad guys.

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Well, I listened to the opening this week, since I thought it might include some background on the story like it did last week, but the guy mentioned, “He’ll find out nothing is what it seems to be,” which was the crux of the twist in the story. Still, I can’t say that it spoiled it as there were many other clues along the way starting at the beginning.

We begin with a man named Walter Hertz saying he’s going to leave the “corporate spooks” he’s been a part of. Before he goes, they want a list of names he has. He knows they’ll use it to blackmail those people a second time and so he refuses. “You’ll get those names over my dead body,” he declares and then he storms out. The leader doesn’t need to resort to those tactics. He tells his heavy to go get the names first, and then kill him. Walter tries to run but the heavy armed with a weaponized finger quickly starts to catch up. But then a man calling himself Pablo Manheim pulls him through a loose fence slot and tells him he can help him escape permanently. I was reminded of an episode of NIGHT GALLERY where Mickey Rooney played a mobster trying to find an escape and ended up in the collection of a rich man, who has a block of cells containing everyone from Amelia Earhart to Adolph Hitler. But this wouldn’t be as sinister as that.

Next, we meet the central character of the story, one Rasheed Kay who calls himself an inquiry agent, saying that’s what used to be referred to as a private detective. He is the typical tough private eye of the 40’s or 50’s, even narrating his tale as he goes along. The location printed on the screen reads “Club Foot VR.” Now the only VR I know is Virtual Reality. So I was expecting that shortly he would step out of the club and into a modern setting, and we’d find out that this was all just a holographic simulation. A man named Victor Lazarre comes in and wants him to find Walter, claiming Walt’s wife is looking for him to settle some property issues. Rasheed takes the case, but suspects the whole thing. “Something didn’t seem right about this guy – maybe it was all the lies he was telling me.” He knows the property issues could be handled easier without the husband present, so obviously the whole story is bogus. He leaves the bar, but it’s still all 1940’s or 1950’s outside. When he asks about Walter’s work, the term software is bandied about by Kay and the man he talks to which doesn’t wash with the time period. He checks out Walter’s place and finds paintings by a local artist named Claudia. He goes to visit her and just like in the movies the two instantly fall for each other. But Kay also notices a lot of cabs that have weird graffiti on them and Claudia says Walter was obsessed with checking them out. Since Claudia also tells him Walter was never married, he goes back to Victor Lazarre and returns his check. I freeze-framed the check and saw that it was dated August 9, 1952. Since Betaville is not in that time setting, this whole thing absolutely had to be an elaborate fraud of some kind – VR, hologram, what-have-you - and connected to that "escape" that Pablo had talked about..

Kay is picked up by a guy he saw in the newspaper name Hugo Burns - a mob boss who’s just been released for lack of evidence again. Hugo tells Kay that if he finds Walter, he wants Rasheed to tell him first – for triple what he’s getting paid. Later, Rasheed finds out that Hugo is a guy nicknamed Codeman. When he locates Walter, he finds out the truth. Like Walter, he is in a stasis tank and this whole scenario is an imaginary world. When Walter spotted someone from the real world chasing him, he remembered the truth about the place. Hugo Burns (aka Codeman, aka Pablo Manheim) is actually the man who runs the stasis tanks and occasionally comes in to visit. Walter remembered arriving in a D Street cab, and is trying to find the right one so that he can get back to the real world before his old colleague finds him. Unfortunately, the colleague does just that and drags him away in a D Street cab. Rasheed and Claudia give chase only to see the cab drive into a wall and vanish. They decide to help Walter and they steal another D Street cab and emerge from their tanks and tried to help Walter, who’s being tortured for the names on the list. In the fight, the hood's finger weapon goes off killing him and injuring Rasheed. Rather than going to a hospital, he wants to go “home.” He’s returned to the stasis tank where he resumes his private eye career and is visited by his latest client Claudia. He says he was an accountant in his real life, and never wanted to go back to that endless boredom of numbers. Meanwhile, off in another corner, Codeman assures Walter the programming is circular – no yesterday or tomorrow just endless todays.

It didn’t all make sense (like the guy hiring other people to paint the cabs to say things like “Not this one” so that he could find the right cab to get back), but I liked it. The bad guys lose out, the good guys are saved and everything works out okay. The good characters were very likeable too. I’ve long admired A Martinez, who can play good and bad guys with equal skill. He’s currently on LONGMIRE playing a complex character named Jacob Nighthorse – a bad guy, but with a sense of honor about him. I’ll give this one 9 cab tops that read “D Street”, which was all Walter really needed to look for in the first place.

By the way, as an accountant myself I have to object to Rasheed’s characterization of accounting as endless boredom with numbers. What he fails to realize is that the accountants always end up with the cop’s hot-looking ex-wives. There’s always a scene where the cop goes to see his ex-wife and then asks her, “How could you be happy married now to this accountant?” to which she replies, “Well, he may not be much, but at least he’s home nights.” That’s our motto, in fact: “Accountants - We may not be much, but at least we’re home nights.”

Brimfin

Mad-pac said:
One problem I find, though, is that even if the man with the list could escape into this virtual world to evade his assassins, his body would still be physically present in the VR facilities inside a pod, and if the bad guys located that, they could easily capture him. The fact that the assassin went inside the VR program to try and kill the executive in the virtual world seemed confusing and convoluted.
Excellent point. I hadn’t thought of that. By coincidence, I’ve just started watching a summer series called REVERIE which is about a futuristic VR program which people have entered and now some have gone into a coma from refusing to come out. They hire someone to go in after them using a VR share program. She asks why they can’t just disconnect them from the program and she is told the connection is through their neural system and cutting if off might cause brain damage or death. Perhaps, the same problem exists here. And since Victor needed to get information from Walter and not just kill him, he felt he had to go in after him. Even if it wasn’t true maybe Pablo/Codeman convinced him that this was the case. As to why Pablo couldn’t then rig it so Victor couldn’t get back out, maybe being connected with those “corporate spooks” he was able to threaten Pablo’s family if he tried anything funny.

Mad-Pac

“He’ll find out nothing is what it seems to be,” which was the crux of the twist in the story. Still, I can’t say that it spoiled it as there were many other clues along the way starting at the beginning.
For once I'd like to see a story in which "everything and everyone is what they seem to be," just for a change.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I love some noir in my sci-fi.
This episode was full of cliches, and the story didn't make sense all the time, but I really liked the feel of this episode.
As usual, the host puts the episode down a bit.

Cloister56

An excellent episode this week.
As a general rule, don't let the powerful and dangerous boss know you are quitting, and have information he wants, before saying he will only get it over your dead body. Just disappear one day, or at least if you have to tell him do it from a long distance.

I think I must have been slow this week as it took me a long time to put together what was going on. The idea reminds me a lot of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality". In that people hide in a VR game to escape their real lives, it's a really great episode.
This was probably the best acted out of the episodes so far. The 3 main characters were excellent and Marcia smoldered the whole time she was on screen. Rasheed Kay reminded me a lot of Josh Brolin in appearance.

I did wonder if Kay or Marcia would make it through the transition to the real world. It was never stated that everyone was a real person and I expect one of them to wake up to find the other had just been part of the simulation and was now gone.
The waking up in the pod was nicely done, starting from Kay's perspective.

The idea of using these pods to hide till the heat dies down is a nice idea. Unless I missed it I didn't know how the Pablo knew that was exactly what Walter needed. Maybe he just looks out for people being chased.
Walter didn't seem to be making much progress finding the right taxi to exit and Kay seemed to come up with a far better way. In his defense he was under pressure and Kay has been doing this investigating thing for a while it seems.

It was a nice ending having Kay live on inside the virtual world. As I understand it the pods slow things down to imperceptible levels but I take from that, that Kay will eventually still die. At least this way he gets to live out some length of a life, now with Marcia.

I can see what people are saying about the narrator giving away too much at the beginning. I know they are going for a Rod Serling approach but he seemed to know how to set up the story and not give too much away. I think the show may be better without it.

So my favourite episode so far, interesting concept, good acting, a pretty woman and some good detecting.

9 time zones it is recommended you are away from the boss before you decided to taunt him, out of 10.