Review Welcome to Paradox (1998) - episode 5 "Research Alpha"

How would you classify this episode? An Alpha, a Beta or an Omega? Do your research and grade it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Aug 24, 1998 on Syfy

A scientist makes the decision of using himself as a test guinea pig. What could possibly go wrong?

CAST

Roma Maffia ... Barbara Cloak
Robert Wisden ... John Hammond
Brent Stait ... Vincent Cloak
Chilton Crane ... Helen Hammond
Michael Philip ... The Host
Sadie Lawrence ... Josie
Gordon Booth ... Fred
Apollonia Vanova ... Receptionist (as Appollonia Vanova)
Leanne Adachi ... Reporter #1
Ted Cole ... Reporter #2
Dan Webber ... Guard
Stefanie von Pfetten ... Julia
Erick Kaffka ... Beta Cop

WRITING CREDITS

Jeremy Lipp ... (teleplay)
James H. Shmitz ... (story)
A.E. van Vogt ... (story)

DIRECTED BY

Charles Wilkinson

Mad-Pac

From what I remember there were at least two or three episodes I originally felt were creative and innovative. But apparently I've forgotten the duds. This one, for example. Well, let's take it apart and see what's salvageable.

Our two main antagonists had different approaches to self-improvement: evolution vs. bio-engineering. The idea that evolution means "getting things better" for a species is a common misconception that a good scientist wouldn't hold. Evolution doesn't mean improvement, but adapting to the circumstances. In fact, Hammond points that out, but his argument is just presented as one of the sides of the discussion, when I think, in fact, he nailed it there. If all of a sudden your species has to live outside the water, those who "evolve" by developing the ability to breathe air will survive and let the species continue, otherwise, if such a mutation doesn't naturally occur in the first place, they'll go extinct. So, without the environment pressing the species to change in a certain direction, any mutation is potentially useful or pointless.

WTF? Hammond had needles under his fingernails? I didn't expect that. I didn't like how his descent into madness was simplistically described by Barbara as "he's more machine than human" and that he had lost touch with humanity. He was obsessed, but I could see that kind of obsession in a regular human being as well. Nothing in the story indicated that his obsession would be a consequence of the bio-engineering alterations he had, or that it affected his brain. That being said, Hammond wanting to inject the serum in himself just to see what would happen was ridiculous, but I chalk it up more to bad writing than the character losing mental coherence.

Poor Dr. Cloak. In fiction, using oneself as a guinea pig never ends well. Especially if you are a man. I mean, again, in the realm of fiction, women are shielded against gruesome transformations. I think one of the few shows that dared going there was American Horror Story. Otherwise, usually the woman gets lucky.

Once again, the host's part seems disconnected with the story, which makes me think it was written when the writers had only a general idea of what the story was going to be like. The Host ends mentioning "four lives destroyed," let's see. Hammond, dead. Check. Cloak, dead. Check. Barbara: ascended into a superior being of light: I'm not sure that qualifies as destroyed. Helen: got rid of a lousy husband and inherited the company. So, Barbara won the genetic lottery and Helen, the life lottery. In the end, things were not so bad.

One might argue this is another "technology is bad, stay away from it" kind of episode, but then almost all episodes about technology are like that. Except for a few cases, like Star Trek, when technology does improve everybody's lives and it's not a cautionary tale. A more modern show like Black Mirror repeats the same pessimistic message and people involved with advanced tech usually get the short end of the stick, except that it's a newer show so the issues they cover are more relevant to current times.

Finally, it's not a good thing when you watch an episode and you wish you were watching another one, which you think dealt with the subject in a better way. I recommend watching The Outer Limits (1995) episode The New Breed, and you'll see how the changes make much more sense, as they happen for a reason and the story is about nanotechnology instead of magical evolutionary transformations.

But don't give up on the show just yet. I have good memories of Welcome to Paradox because it dared to risk and ring something different.

Curiosity. I already knew the author A. E. Van Vogt and I knew him from "The War Against the Rull" and yeah, that too has monsters. Typical 1950s sci-fi space opera with alien monsters.

Another curiosity. I can only imagine the satisfaction for the actor playing that random guard who actually gets lines this time! "Guess what, Erick. You actually have a speaking part this week!" And I felt the actor tried to make his brief moment of fame count.

Research Alpha is not as terrible as an Omega, but perhaps it's a Delta or a Gamma. Well, I don't react to sci-fi monsters very well, so I give this one 4 creepy child-size statues.

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
As far as getting me interested in the episode, they had me at “Guest Star Roma Maffia.” I’ve long enjoyed her work. She has an exotic look to her and often plays intriguing characters. She did a documentary called “That Gal…Who Was in that Thing” where she and 4 other actresses talked about their careers and parts. She once tried out for the part of a “hit man” in the movie NICK OF TIME, and got it. She was every bit as scary as a man would have been doing the scene where she’s calmly holding a gun to the lead’s daughter and daring him to try and shoot her before she could pull the trigger. (Wisely, he didn’t try it.)

This story is about two scientists trying to create the perfect human. Vincent is trying to do it by creating a serum to speed up evolution by thousands of years. Reminded me of a classic OUTER LIMITS episode (original series, of course) where Edward Mulhare tries the same thing to young David McCallum with intriguing results. Meanwhile, John is trying to do it by bio-engineering every single cell. He’s had some successes extending the lifespan of a patient with some sort of condition and maybe helping a blind girl to see with some sort of sensor in her head. It was all rather vague and unexplained, unfortunately. Anyway, in classic TIME TUNNEL fashion the scientist is told his project is going to be scrapped for lack of results, and so Vincent decides to try the experiment on himself. Meanwhile his wife Barbara (Roma), who also believes in him, decides to try the experiment on herself. Now early on, I noticed that Barbara walked with a distinctive limp that was never explained. Naturally, there was only one reason for such a limp in a story like this. Sure enough, as soon as she injects herself with the serum she begins to walk normally. Curiously, it is never an issue for the remainder of the show. No one seems to either notice or comment on it, and also Barbara makes no attempt to hide it.

Though Vincent and Barbara clearly love each other, they don’t communicate very well. She didn’t know he took it; he didn’t know she took it. Obviously the serum likes her better because she still looks just as intriguing and just has occasionally green coloring around her eyes and she begins to walk normally, hear quiet sounds, and even control things with her mind, while poor Vincent turns into a bald weird-eyed, hunched=over freak whose only asset is more strength.

John gets mixed into the party because he has spycams in the lab and knock-out gas which he uses on Barbara along with injection of a truth serum that come from needles that directly emerge from his fingers. Fortunately, the formula she took allows her to outwit the truth serum and give him a phony story which he believes to be true. But later examination of her data proves to him that she was totally unaffected by his serum. Earlier when he discussed the genetic serum with Victor, he told him it would never work because it doesn’t take into account that rare random human that advances the species every thousand years or so. That didn’t really make sense because one such individual could only affect a set number of people, not change the evolutionary development pattern (if you even believe in evolution; I believe we were created by God). Anyway, John thinks Barbara is that rarity and has no qualms about taking Vincent prisoner while trying to extract usable DNA from her. He ends up killing Vincent in the attempt, but Barbara senses it from a distance and heals him and even brings him back to life. Still, he is taken prisoner. John demands that Barbara submit to his genetic hand or he’ll kill her husband. Finally, John’s wife Helen breaks in with a gun and tries to stop him. In the confusion, the force field holding Vincent is momentarily broken and he escapes to attack John, but the field is still active and both men end up electrocuted by it. Barbara, with nothing left for her now and angry, decides she wants nothing more to do with humanity and injects herself again advancing to the next stage. She turns into an ethereal form and vanishes.

Well, I was hoping for an ending where Barbara was able to heal her husband and they could advance together, but no such luck. Once again, scientists are punished for tampering with things beyond their simple knowledge. The host also gets everything wrong again. He says Barbara will pay the dearest price, but John and Vincent both lose their lives and Helen loses her husband. Barbara does too, but she also advances to the next stage, which might make her god-like and able to do things like cure people with her mind. Doesn’t sound like she ends up with the worst end in this deal. And he blames the arrogance of both scientists. Yeah, John was pretty arrogant no argument. But Vincent’s actions were more like desperation, and his wife was willing to let him experiment on her but he wouldn’t do it; an arrogant man would have taken her up on her offer without a second thought. Maybe we should just ignore what the host says in the future.

With all the problems, this was still a fascinating story that held my interest throughout. It didn’t end the way I would have liked but honestly not everything does. And it starred Roma Maffia! So I’ll give it 8 tiny little metal disks for holding files, which looked kind of futuristic in 1998.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Not sure if it is the full run, but I see a - very recently posted, good quality, playlist of episodes - including this one - is finally on youtube now.

Hope this is of some help, so thought I would mention it, but realise that it might actually be surplus to requirements now.:emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Ok lets see from the intro they are making a improved human and the wife is going to get accidentally affected by the experiment, perhaps even killed. Is this spoilers? we shall see.

We get introduced to the Omega Serum which is an attempt to mutate the species and improve it. This sounds like what Davros attempted with the Daleks. That was in response to the condition of the planet after decades of war and creating a creature that could survive that future.

Reminded me of a classic OUTER LIMITS episode (original series, of course) where Edward Mulhare tries the same thing to young David McCallum with intriguing results.
Interesting, I've not seen that episode yet. It like seeing how different shows take concepts in different directions.

I know that history is littered with scientists who experimented on themselves and their colleagues to develop things (such as the first spinal anaesthetic). I would hope by now that isn't something people still consider doing but it seems the future it will still be the case if TV and movies are to be believed. Probably best if you are going to tell your lead scientist you are shutting things down that you should also confiscate all his research and lock him out of the lab. Otherwise you get Seth Brundle going fly on you or Norman Osborne going all green goblin.

And sadly Vince gets "The Fly" end of the experiment on yourself lottery, where as Barbara seems to have ended up with the "Lucy" end of things. I did find it amusing Vince ends up sounding like he was doing a Batman voice. I did like his fight with Hammond, the flip into the pool was most impressive.
I think Barbara's speed bit would have worked a little better if the extra didn't move at exactly the same speed when she goes past her.

It's interesting to see the 2 different approaches to the same problem. I do wonder which way our species will go in our self evolution. Will it be increasing integration with technology. Once the prosthesis outstrip the original will people choose to convert, does down that road lie the Cybermen.
Or do we mess about on a biological level, wiping out genetic disease but again where does that stop, who wants to stay slim more easily, or learn things quicker, or look like Ryan Gosling.

The omega serum does seem to be the least useful out of the two. It's not made clear what it's effect was on the test subjects. Did it improve any ailments they had? The technological route at least seemed to have helped at least 2 people.

WTF? Hammond had needles under his fingernails? I didn't expect that.
Yeah I didn't see that coming. It did show that like Vince he isn't above a bit of self improvement, I have to ask what he uses those injection things for and on who.

I quite liked this episode, it's no were near as good as last week but it had some nice ideas perhaps a bit poorly executed.
6 security steps you should take when closing down an experiment, out of 10

Mad-Pac

Not sure if it is the full run, but I see a - very recently posted, good quality, playlist of episodes - including this one - is finally on youtube now.
Well, well, I'll be damned! It saves me the work of uploading episodes. Never underestimate the power of piracy and illegal uploads! Materials always find a way to YouTube.

Thanks for the link!

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
This episode felt like a rejected marvel comic pitch.
John was almost comically bad as the "villain". And why does it look like his office is in the hallway and why does his wife walk around in her pyjama's all day?
And seriously, the host, he keeps spoiling the episode at the beginning and misinterpeting it at the end.

Finally, it's not a good thing when you watch an episode and you wish you were watching another one, which you think dealt with the subject in a better way. I recommend watching The Outer Limits (1995) episode The New Breed, and you'll see how the changes make much more sense, as they happen for a reason and the story is about nanotechnology instead of magical evolutionary transformations.
I agree with this.

Mad-Pac

And why does it look like his office is in the hallway and why does his wife walk around in her pyjama's all day?
His working space did feel cluttered, like a busy corridor with random stuff in it. That "board meeting" installation with stone children around a board meeting table was weird, and we found those weird statues everywhere. But in defense for the Paradox fashion, I think they did a good job in consistently daring to show new fashion trends that could possibly have been developed in an alternate future or reality. Are you one of those who think a kimono is just a fancy bath robe?

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
But in defense for the Paradox fashion, I think they did a good job in consistently daring to show new fashion trends that could possibly have been developed in an alternate future or reality
Its the typical sci-fi fashion, remove all collars.