Information Welcome to Paradox (1998)

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
To whom it may concern, some of us will start "Welcome to Paradox" this Friday. Care to join in?

Greetings, everybody, and good morning! We can start with Welcome to Paradox this Friday (the 11th) evening. I'll be posting the opening thread in the "Fantasy and Science Fiction" board at least until we have a permanent folder especially for the show. I need the email addresses of whoever wants to join, so I can share the episode by sending you a link to your email account. That's how the system works. You won't need to download the episode and just watch it online like you've been doing. I'll keep you informed anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad-Pac

OK, we have news. Our "Welcome to Paradox" forum now is, at least temporarily, in the "TV REVIEWS" forum, which can be found in the "THE TV ZONE SECTION." Quite easy to find.

Mad-Pac

You just couldn't play the game could you?!
Oh... But I learned from the best. When you joined the Sages, nothing was good for you. Let's face it, you'll only watch old British that you have already watched so you can reminisce about it with other people who have watched it. When you joined, you wanted to push "Doctor Who" and tried to nominate "Revenge of the Dahleks" or something, a story arc, as an independent series! Then, you nominated Blake's 7, but part of it and said it should be called "Blake's 5" because it was, again a totally different show. Then you suggested that we could pick shows with several seasons, but choose the top 20 episodes.

Whenever you could, you would try to bend the rules to include old British shows. When nothing worked, you went on a rant about how come a group that claimed to enjoy science fiction shows would not watch the most iconic sci-fi show ever, Doctor Who. And you accused the group of being anti-British, which is ridiculous, since several have been nominated already and we watched two at least.two.

Then you disappeared and went to the Blake's 7 board. I'm not sure why, but you came back at some point bringing many like-minded fellows. What I don't understand is why didn't you just start a Blake's 7 round of reviews and then invite us to participate. No, everybody came and joined the thing that we were already doing and then transformed it from the inside until it became something else.

When the Blake's 7 fans came, and I mentioned nominations, Blake's 7 was nominated several times. Clearly, either people didn't know the difference between a nomination and a vote or this voting was a mere formality, because the new crowd was so eager to watch Blake's 7 I don't know why they were not doing that already.

New folks came with new rules. So, now all of a sudden, long-running shows were in. Then the single season idea was dead, because if you can admit single-season shows AND several-season shows, then it's ANY SHOWS period.

Fine, I thought, we can have two boards. One with ANY SHOWS WHATSOEVER, and one for single-season shows. But it turns out that the voting had been made in that context so we got stuck with godawful Star Cops. My patience was running thin with Blake's 7 and now I had to endure Star Cops. But, what the hell, rules are rules. I bit the bullet and let's watch previously-rejected-twice Star Cops, which was as bad as I thought, but I tried to give my most positive attitude to the endeavor anyway.

Then it came the time to vote. All of a sudden people who were not really participating in the Star Cops board appeared and voted for previously-rejected Catweazle. And again, Catweazle, a children's show, was a champion of nominations and another formality voting was approaching.

Catweazle won with a large margin, yet, not everybody who voted cared to come and comment, so it seems these people just wanted the show to win and others to watch.

At some point I thought we could all get a compromise with "The Omega Factor" which seemed quite nice and age appropriate. After all, old Sages were willing to try it and new Sages had voted for it as second or third. It looked like The Omega Factor was going to win and we could have, again an acceptable compromise.

And then... All of you guys who had voted for The Omega Factor simply scrubbed it away from your votes. It disappeared and suddenly became the most impopular show in this round. Naturally it was determined Catweazle would win and it did. End of story.

What does the future hold for us? You guys whom I call "The Brits" are the majority, so you will always win. Basically you will determine what the rest will watch. You are a cohesive group of like-minded people and we, supposedly the old ones, are the outsiders.

The future as I see will be this: shows that you guys have already watched and hold no surprise for you. On the contrary, you have to refrain yourselves from giving spoilers away. And all episodes have already been reviewed by Doctor Omega and commented by you. We are not likely to move to a new show like we did in the old times which was a new experience for everyone and we would have a productive discussions based on first impressions. No. nostalgia wins from now on.

I've been doing this for several years and it has always worked. Do you wanna know why? Because we never chose shows just thinking of ourselves. We always took into consideration the impact our choices would have on others. And if we felt someone would hate a show we loved, we didn't nominate it. Simple as that.

For instance, the former group coordinator, chaarmedwon666, a.k.a. "Agent Stone" always said that there were two shows he vowed he would never, ever watch: The Prisoner and UFO. Guess what happened: we never picked either of these shows, because we knew the guy simply hated these shows to death, so in deference to our colleague, they were off limits.

However, one day, The Prisoner was nominated, and by me. At some point I decided to ignore that unwritten rule. And The Prisoner won. And Agent Stone, the founder, left and never came back. And then, since he was away, then we did UFO. Until now I wonder if I shouldn't have stuck to that old principle.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

I presume like Blakes7 we've seen the last review of Catweazle from you ,and all the threads are there so it doesn't matter eh?.
If I satay or not is none of your business. People are free to come and go and with nobody this is an issue. Why should it be with me? Why do I have to abide to special rules? If you observe, you'll see not everybody has commented on episode 1 of Catweazle. and some people commented very late in the game. You shouldn't try to force people to "enjoy" the things you enjoy and confront them if they choose to continue reviewing or not. Whatever contribution anybody is willing to give, no matter how little it is,should be enough and should be gladly accepted by the others. This is not a job in which we're expected to have a certain performance. You're confusing things a great deal.

Next I suppose you'll be renaming the group ' Sages of U.S. Single Season Shows',
Which just shows how distorted and prejudicial your views are, because the show I'm proposing, "Welcome to Paradox" is CANADIAN, not from the US, and perhaps you don't know the USA and Canada are completely different countries. And your rant about something akin to "United Sages of America", or however you choose to view us, is pure BS. In our long run we saw:

The Prisoner (1967), The Prisoner (2009), UFO, Invasion:Earth, all from the UK.
Total Recall 2070, Earth 2 from Canada
And I nominated 3% (but nobody voted for it) from Brazil.

How does that fit in a "Sages of U.S. Single Season Shows"? I'm expecting some smart reply for that.

Without you and probably Brimfin, this iteration of The Sages is dead.
Congratulations.
I'm really tired of all your negativity. The way I see things, we had one board for the Sages, and now we have three. And if it's up to me, there'll be four, five, six. IMDF is a nice forum and a great place for ideas and interactions to thrive, and this is what's happening. New ideas are coming out, and people are looking for their niches. This is just what a discussion forum needs.

Mad-Pac

Sorry also that his option number 6 in the poll is a slur aimed at me. Shame.
OK, OK, just to be clear, and before I say something I shouldn't, which "shame" is that again? I'm confused.

And come on, I was pulling your leg. Can't you take a little joke, even if it's a little mean? And can you honestly say it is not true?

Mad-Pac

Clearly at least one person would rather review shows that fall outside the voting system.
Yep, like Captain Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru. Circumstances have forced me to think outside the box.

Mad-Pac, you have a board, however unsuited, for the time being.
OK, for the time being. Does that mean this is under judgment or something? Have I violated any community rules?

Personally what I find ill-suited is coming to a supposedly new show and seeing that all episodes have already been reviewed by you, from beginning to end. A trail that has already been walked several times. Nothing new there. What's the point of even starting? What would you do in that situation? wouldn't you rather go explore the terrain and find a brand new trail nobody has tried before? Isn't that much more exciting?

And now with Catwweazle it's the very same thing. We've always started with "This Friday on..." and presenting the show to an audience for the first time and when it wasn't the first time we would at least try to pretend it was, that we were discovering the show as a group, together. Now I see that you have already told all the story, reviewed all episodes. Your reviews are there, and there are replies to them. Again, what's the point?

And now you expect us to use your old threads and I can't even start a new one, indicating this is the first time the Sages come in and explore this show. I would always start with a brief synopsis of the episode (which could include a question for the group, something to motivate discussion) and the cast list. But now having to use your threads, this brief intro appears way down the replies, so it's no longer introducing anything. Really, it's your thing instead.

Mad-Pac

In the very very very unlikely event of Mad Pac still being involved he'll organise it, if not then either me or you could do it.
Just for the record I have no intention of leaving Catweazle, even if it's really, really, really not the kind of show I could enjoy. And I promise I'll try to be respectful, while still pointing out the many flaws I see and how ill-suited it is for a group of adults of different nationalities in 2018, which pretty much differs fundamentally from a family with little kids in Britain in 1970.

Mad-Pac

Or just walk away and start settling in on your new board.
Why are you assuming I'm walking away? Even with Blake's 7 I did continue with the intention of going on, but then Star Cops came and two shows of a format I'm totally unfamiliar with were too much of a strain. In fact, if Catweazle hadn't been picked, I would still be in Blake's 7. I might even come back still, in fact, though I am not sure fans would like to read what I have to say, but I don't want to promise anything at the moment..

Mad-Pac

I see I'm not getting an apology for your slur.
It was just a joke, some provocative banter. But speaking seriously I do think I said anything untrue. If it's up to you you'll only watch old British shows that you have already seen, which to me is weird because normally people prefer to watch new shows, new movies, read new books, watch new plays and dislike watching what they already have. It's OK, that's the way you roll. But please, "slur" is way, way overreacting. Or we're having a brutal cultural gap here.

If you remember I said myself and Doc Omega had done a B7 review would you like to contribute.
At this point I no loner know if the cat is in the bag or the bag in the cat, but I do know I coordinated the transition and voting and that was carried on according to the rules of the Sages of the Single Season, so I understood you guys were joining our group and not the other way around.

All I and I believe the other newbies wanted was good ol' Sages like the old days, choose a show and stick with it.
Not that that meant anything to you when you left Kolchak. But it's in the name of that that I'll remain with our current nasty Cat. But just for the record, the fact that the Sages never failed to finish a show referred to the Sages as a group, not the behavior of a particular individual.

" lets pick another show, Mad Pac can do that one, The TR 2070 sages, but the rest of us will do the runner up. Be honest, you'd be livid..
I sure would. And I'm glad that never ever happened. First, I didn't leave and take everyone with me leaving you alone like in you insane example. I started another board and those who wanted, came. Including you, by the way with Star Cops. Second, even I started Star Cops, I didn't leave Blake's 7. The fact I left it later has nothing to do with the previous fact, it was just that the show is terrible. Likewise, I'm not leaving Catweazle (unless you guys kick me out or something) and since I'm organizing that board there's no way I can leave without acknowledging the fact my old group is dead. (Or maybe not.) Long story short, I'm not leaving the Cat show.

What's the point of carrying on with this iteration of The Sages?
Well, our thing has continued throughout the years since about 2009, just with different people, and long before they were called Sages. It's in the name of this tradition I don't want to kill the idea. I'm glad to think I'm having a kind of interaction that somehow reminds me of the one I had in 2016, 2013, 2011... The good aspect at least. But yeah, if Brimfin, mainly, and cloister56 leave that's it. That group is definitely defunct and this is a whole new party. We are already a minority, so in objective terms the old timers are the intruders.

If another show is picked after you've done WTP, if you don't like it you'll ignore it and do something else.
I've been thinking about that. I think for that board these new times require a new rule, the veto power. Regular and consistent members should have VETO POWER over a show even if it's picked by the majority. You know, like the UN Security Council. It works for the UN, it could work for us. In the old times that was not necessary because there was a gentleman's agreement: we simply wouldn't pick a show if it terribly annoyed one of our friends. Those were innocent times. But now gentlemen's agreements no longer work, so if an active member says "no way I'm watching this show" the group should pick another even if a couple dudes love it to death. This should be something to be enjoyed, no a reason to bite the bullet show after show. In my case, three shows already: Blake's 7, Star Cops and now Catweazle, that is, shows I dislike a great deal and wouldn't watch otherwise. And if I had remained quiet I'm sure there would be another show like this and another one after that. How many should be enough? How many did you endure when we non-Brits were calling the shots?

Of course you have done nothing wrong .
I'm glad to hear that. Even though that sounds terribly like a controversial meme going around, ("Mario did nothing wrong" and my picture in it), but I'm sure this was not intentional from your part. But if it was, I'm really amazed and your knowledge of Internet culture is impeccable. Then I'm offended and in awe at the same time.

As Doc says lets be honest and part ways.
I don't know about you, but I'm not going anywhere besides covering a few shows I can actually enjoy in parallel. Is that too much to ask? I'm sure you don't want me to be miserable and mopey all the time, do you? Come to think of it, if I get a tiny amount of my comfort zone stranded here in the middle of the Northern Sea, my mood might just improve and I might even see something good in Catweazle. Come to think of it, it's a win-win situation!

BTW even if magic is true in the world of Catweazle, it isn't a flaw, just an interesting angle,
Not a flaw per se, just a plothole considering the premise of the show. Unless the writers explicitly leave it clear that Catweazle was never meant to be seen as a superstitious fool who thinks the most elementary science is magic. If everything turns out to be magic from the get-go, including electrickery and telling bones, I admit you're right. WHICH MEANS NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL, because you have already seen the goddamn show, as usual, and again, as usual, you already know everything that is going to happen, including secret interviews given by the actors and writers and awards I have never heard of, you had years and years to think about this show, you've formulated and read every conceivable theory about the story, and as far as debating is concerned, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN A COMFORTABLE POSITION OF ADVANTAGE against someone watching the show for the first time, just the way you like it.

Mad-Pac

Steam has been vented.
And that feels good and bad at the same time. I just everybody remembers this is just a silly discussion about an even sillier TV show. But, you know, people have already died and killed for silly internet discussions. It's been known to happen.

(and - for the record. M-P- the "for the time being" comment was referring to the TV REVIEWS board that I emptied out for you and put your WTP threads into - for the time being - until a dedicated PARADOX board could be created by Administration.

I was trying to help you out... As best as I was able.) :emoji_disappointed:
Phew! It sounded like a veiled threat. Wow, am I paranoid or what?

Yes, let's all accept our differences in civility... for the time being (hands touching each other in my best Mr. Burns impression)

(Obs: this is a joke not a threat.)

You are welcome to join us on both those journeys Mad-Pac, however contrary your reviews.
Well, I shouldn't be welcome to join anybody on the Catweazle board, since I never left, but just for the record, you too are welcome to join the Catweazle discussions, and we'll all appreciate it deeply if you do. As for Blake's 7, I'm sure others have already been absent for several episodes too, and I doubt such a fuss was made when they showed up again.

And, when you have completed your WELCOME TO PARADOX watch, simply get in touch with Administration and I am sure that they will create a board for whatever your next show is. As I explained, I have no power in that area. (but I still tried to help you out as best I could today).:emoji_disappointed:
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Life's too short.

Once again.... Peace - and happy reviewing. :emoji_alien:
Said it all! :emoji_angel:

Mad-Pac

1. Blakes7 re-watch is the " Shows with greater than 30 episodes" forum. After B7 another long series to be voted on.
1. Blakes7 re-watch is the " Shows with greater than 30 episodes" forum. After B7 another long series to be voted on.
2. Catweazle is on the " Brit Show" forum. British shows only to be nominated here in future.
3. Welcome To Paradox is on the " non Brit Show" forum.
After WTP nominating for American,Canadian, Brazilian etc shows.
So we will always have one long show ( any nationality), one British show ( 30 episodes or less), and one show globally sourced in keeping with traditional Sages fare. This one can be regarded as the primary Sages project if that makes our fellows comfortable.
What d'ya think?
I think that could work and I'd be willing to try it. Just to be clear, board # 3 would also be for short-lived shows.

Just for the record, personally, I don't have a beef with British shows per se and some of my favorite shows are British:

Game of Thrones (and yes, co-productions do count so deal with it),
Black Mirror,
Life on Mars
(and anything with Liz White),
Torchwood,
The Prisoner (2009),
The Prisoner (1967)
UFO,
Humans,
Mr. Bean,
The Benny Hill Show,
Persuaders,
The Saint,
The Avengers,
The Champions,
The Tomorrow People
(OK, this one might not resist a contemporary look and succumb due to its poor production values, but the stories were clever and the intro theme, very cool)
Monty Python's Flying Circus,
Space: 1999,
Hustle,
Ashes to Ashes,
Hard Sun,
Sherlock,
The Office,
Broadchurch,
Collision
(truth be told, pretty much anything with Lucy Griffiths),
The Night Manager,
Vikings,
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret,
A Touch of Cloth,
Spooks,
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell,
Misfits,
The IT Crowd
Episodes.
In the Flesh
Walking with Dinosaurs,
Rome,
Primeval,
Orphan Black,
Penny Dreadful,

It's British shows made last century that tend to suck, especially those that save a great deal on budget and those in which the director can't tell the difference between theater and television, a plague in early British TV. But even among the oldies,there are a few honorable exceptions.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Greetings, everybody, and good morning! We can start with Welcome to Paradox this Friday (the 11th) evening. I'll be posting the opening thread in the "Fantasy and Science Fiction" board at least until we have a permanent folder especially for the show. I need the email addresses of whoever wants to join, so I can share the episode by sending you a link to your email account. That's how the system works. You won't need to download the episode and just watch it online like you've been doing. I'll keep you informed anyway.
What is the quality of the episodes you have?

Mad-Pac

We have three forums now, let's designate each one for a particular type of show and rigidly stick with it.
2. Catweazle is on the " Brit Show" forum. British shows only to be nominated here in future.
3. Welcome To Paradox is on the " non Brit Show" forum.
I just would like to leave it for the record that, after careful consideration, I don't agree with this suggestion. I don't want to be restricted to not nominating British shows in Forum #3, since there are so many British shows I love, as I just demonstrated. I don't think there is anybody who has strong reservations against British shows in general, so it makes no sense to create an anti-British TV forum. I mean, just because I don't get the particular shows you guys love so much, it doesn't mean there are many others I'd love to try.

Besides, I don't see the reason to crystallize Forum #2 as being for British shows only ad infinitum, ad nauseam. This is something that would get old pretty quickly and I guaranteee even you guys would want to change that.

Here, my suggestion @michaellevenson . If you want a group for British shows, I encourage you make one. I just showed it's not difficult to diversify, so why don't you try it? If your intention was to turn the Sages into an exclusive British club, perhaps creating a brand new thing would be more effective than transforming something that already exists, as it was done with Forum #1, which was changed from short shows to any shows, and that group lost its original soul.

When I mentioned VETO POWER, perhaps I chose an expression that has a not very nice reputation. What I meant that if members of the group find a particular show particularly objectionable, it would be more in the spirit of camaraderie to simply pick another show instead of subjecting our friends to a very unpleasant experience. There should be some sort of CONSENSUS, otherwise the problems we are having are going to go on and on.

There are so many good shows neither of us have seen yet. I can't believe we simply cannot come to an agreement about one that will either please everybody, or at least, not be too annoying. Is that so much to ask?

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Is it possible to post the DVD order as the order on TVDb does differ as it shows the aired order.. It doesn't make any difference really as you say it's an anthology series and we get told each week what is the next episode, I was just curious.
This is the order on TVDb:

1 - Our Lady of the Machine
2 - Research Alpha
3 - The Winner
4 - News from D Street
5 - The Girl Who was Plugged in
6 - The Extra
7 - Alien Jane
8 - Hemeac
9 - All Our Sins Forgotten
10 - Acute Triangle
11 - Options
12 - Blue Champagne
13 - Into the Shop

Mad-Pac

Is it possible to post the DVD order as the order on TVDb does differ as it shows the aired order.. It doesn't make any difference really as you say it's an anthology series and we get told each week what is the next episode, I was just curious.
Curiosity killed the cat. Ha, ha! :emoji_pouting_cat: No, seriously, the series was sold in four DVDs, and this is the cover of the first.

"The Girl Who was Plugged In" appears as first. All in all it doesn't matter, since this is an anthology in which the setting, the city of Betaville, loosely relates them together, but the stories are originally short stories written by different people in different years, and there's no grand arc.

Here is the order I have:

01 The Girl Who Was Plugged In
02 Our Lady Of The Machine
03 Alien Jane
04 The News From D Street
05 Research Alpha
06 Blue Champagne
07 The Winner
08 The Extra
09 Hemeac
10 All Our Sins Forgotten
11 Into The Shop