Fun Which is the Worst Skywalker Trilogy?

Which is the Worst Skywalker Trilogy?

• The Prequels

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • The Original Trilogy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Disney Trilogy

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Star-Wars-9-Time-Travel-Fix-Last-Jedi.jpg

Which is the worst trilogy of the 9 film Skywalker family saga?

The Prequels?

The Original Trilogy?

The Disney Trilogy?

And why, in your opinion, is your choice the bottom of the pile?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Know that I'm saying all of this as one of the biggest Star Wars fans you have ever met. As far as I'm concerned, the weakest of the trilogies is the prequels. I say this for several reasons. First is that the original trilogy was brilliant. Yes, we have heard the stories of how Jedi could have been a much darker, and dare I say, more interesting film, but George erred on the side of marketing. Still, those films are brilliant, even the Special Editions, with their added scenes that add absolutely nothing to the story.

The Disney trilogy seems to be part of a much grander money making scheme by the House of Mouse, with a new movie being tossed at us every year or two, and tweaked to fit what they think the audience as a whole will pay for. And that's fine, I'm really okay with new Star Wars, and as I've gotten further from the EU and everything that was incorporated into it, I see just how flawed it all was, and convoluted. New books and book series, comic books runs, video games, etc. all just added to a constantly contradictory mess. Characters acted out of character from one book to the next, and the machinations of both the Rebellion and the Empire were just one tangled monstrosity. I'm glad something is being done to rein it all in and set it straight, even with the loss of some really great stories and characters. And honestly, I'm pretty happy with what has been set up so far with the Disney/Star Wars movies. Sure, they're not brilliant, but they're closer in spirit to the original trilogy. And IDGAF what the chauvinists think about Rey. Those guys can go jerk themselves off while watching monster truck rallies after their NRA meetings.

The prequels - I have a love/hate relationship with them. There is so much great in those movies, and so much that should have been rewritten at least a dozen times. That trilogy could have been perfect, but uncle George wanted to prove that Star Wars was his baby, and that he didn't need all of the people who actually made the original trilogy as great as it was. So we got banking disputes, trade blockades, political drama, and speeches about sand. It's so coarse, and it gets everywhere. But we also have some of the best lightsaber fights ever put on screen, and the opening of Revenge of the Sith is beautiful, with its space battle and rescue. And the dialogue. Seriously. The dialogue. I know that Carrie Fisher did some uncredited rewrites episodes II and III, but damn, she phoned it in. Larry Kasdan needed to come in and fix that. So for me, the prequels are the weakest link in the Star Wars fence.

And now @Doctor Omega is regretting asking for my reasons. :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Not at all, CSM!

All's fair in love and Star Wars! :emoji_grin:

I do worry that they are completely making this third and final trilogy up as they go along, missing a true vision, but I guess that charge could also be levelled at Lucas with the original trilogy. I never liked that second Death Star in Return of the Jedi. I remember being disappointed about that repetition, even as a kid.

If the upcoming third episode knocks it out of the park, I will change my vote for worst Skywalker trilogy to the prequels, as it is a close call thing at the moment. What I love about the prequels is it's charting of Palpatine's manipulative journey, using the pawns in his game. And that, despite it's Jar Jars, miscast Anakin's etc, just gives it the edge for me at this moment in time.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I never liked that second Death Star in Return of the Jedi. I remember being disappointed about that repetition, even as a kid.
I remember seeing it in the theatre as a lad, and I thought it was cool. Later, I also thought it repetitive. And then there were at least a half dozen other super weapons in the EU which were stand-ins for the Death Star, which again proves why it's not all bad that those stories are classified as Legends now.

And yes, I get that Starkiller Base in TFA is just another super weapon, but I really like that movie.