Review Who Pays The Ferryman ep4- A Dead Man To Carry My Cross

Discussion in 'TV: Reviews' started by michaellevenson, Jun 30, 2018.

1. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Arriving in Crete at the airport is an Australian, Tony Viglis, bringing with him a coffin containing his grandfather, who was born on Crete and his dying wish was to be buried in his home village of Daphne in the mountains.
    Meantime Katerina Matakis and her son Petros,
    P " but Mother, the past is the past, let it go. Why should I stand against this Haldane?"
    K " you dare say that. Our family is dishonoured"
    P " but what can I do ?"
    K " you must oppose this Haldane in everything he does. Drive him out of Crete, and if it should be necessary kill him"
    Matheos Noukakis enters with some news regarding the arrival of Tony Viglis.
    M " the coffin contains Andonis Viglis, this Tony Viglis wishes to bury his grandfather in Daphne"
    K " God in heaven! No ! That shall not happen. I will see to that"
    Alan "Leandros" Haldane has been busy constructing the boat he has been working on since arriving in Crete. Annika has persuaded him to take a day's rest. She wishes to show him her home village where she was born. The village is Daphne.
    After seeing the sights, Leandros and Annika go to a café. In to Daphne drives Tony Viglis, he enters the cafe.
    V " anyone here speak English?"
    H " yes"
    V " Ah bonza mate. My name's Viglis, I'm looking for the local priest. Been to the church, someone is there but they slammed the bloody door on me"
    All the people in the café get up and walk out .
    H "Annika what's going on?"
    A " quick Leandros lets leave"
    Outside the villagers are gathered, some armed with pickaxes or hammers. One goes over to Viglis' car and smashes it.
    Viglis runs over, two men stop him, and punch him hard, Haldane tries to help Viglis, Annika cries out in Greek, suddenly everyone stops.
    A " get him out of here Leandros"
    H " what the hell is going on"
    A " they have their reasons. Don't judge them harshly"
    H " what could possibly justify this barbaric behaviour."
    A " I'll explain later, now just go"
    Haldane takes Viglis back to his house , he is concussed and a doctor is sent for. Annika arrives.
    A " where is he?"
    H " resting in bed . The doctor gave him something to sleep. He'll be okay"
    Annika explains " there used to be many Viglis in Daphne, they were bad people, thieves , rustlers, they held the villages of the mountains in fear. One day they murdered two girls from Daphne, the people rose up, and hanged the killers. To this day no Viglis has ever set foot in Daphne again"
    H " Viglis wants to bury his grandfather there"
    A " that won't be permitted. Anywhere else on Crete ,yes, but not in Daphne"
    H " sounds like you agree with them?"
    A " they are my people. I understand, I will not interfere"
    H " when did all this start?"
    A " 1916"
    H " Jesus! That's 70 odd years ago. Speak to them, tell them to stop this madness"
    A " I cannot"
    H " cannot or will not?"
    A " does it matter?"
    H " to me yes, a great deal"
    A " okay, WILL NOT! "
    H " then you're as bad as they are"
    Annika storms out, the first real argument between her and Haldane.
    More..
    Previous Episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep3-long-shadow.5079/
    Next Episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep5-receive-the-light.5084/

#1 michaellevenson, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. michaellevenson

Major Michael Krasakis arrives at Haldane's place.
    K " how is Mr Viglis?"
    H " resting"
    K " my men have been to Daphne, but no witnesses will come forward. That is not surprising"
    H " yes, I know all about it"
    K " perhaps you do not know that left to their own the people of Daphne would have no objection to Andonis Viglis being buried there, but unfortunately they have not been left to decide for themselves. The land on which Daphne stands is owned by one family, the villagers pay rent to this family, and it is they who fan the flames of vendetta against the Viglis family"
    H " in other words do what we tell you or get off our land?"
    K." Maybe not quite as crude as that, but yes. As an officer of the law I can impose order on any miscreants but I can't order the burial to be allowed, that is a matter for the Church"
    H " well, Annika , Mrs Zeferis, has some influence, maybe she can do something"
    K." I think not Leandros, her maiden name is Matakis, the family that own Daphne. You look shocked, you didn't know?"
    H " no I bloody didn't"
    K " the person behind this feud is Katerina Matakis, I will see her today. But I hold out little hope"
    Krasakis with Katerina,
    K " Madam Matakis you realise incitement to violence is a crime?"
    K " there was no incitement, it was not necessary"
    Kr " if for any reason Tony Viglis returns to Daphne and any harm comes to him, I will stand squarely with him"
    K " you would protect him against people of your own blood?"
    Kr " no, the law will do that. My duty is to uphold the law"
    K " in man's law, there is no justice"
    Kr " Justice is blind. It doesn't differentiate between Cretan and non Cretan. Good day Madam Matakis"

#2 michaellevenson, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 7:29 AM
  3. michaellevenson

In the office of Babis Spiridakis.
    B " the way I see it there can be no religious reason to deny the burial. I assume your grandfather was on good terms with the catholic church"
    Viglis" too right went to services every week"
    B " it would simplify things Mr Vigils if you buried your grandfather elsewhere"
    V " look my grandfather worked dammed hard all his life.. He bought that plot of land for his burial, and no barbarians are going to stop him having his final wish fulfilled"
    Haldane " can you speak to Katerina Matakis Babis?.make her see reason?"
    B " it would do no good. She would be deaf to all entreaties. She feels deeply about the wrong perpetrated against her family. I have spoken to local priest, he says the cemetery is full and cannot have another internment. This I know to be a lie. So as your lawyer Mr Viglis I can contact the Cardinal, on ascertaining the facts, I'm sure he will order the burial. The priest of Daphne will then have to conduct the funeral, but then it may still not be enough to stop Katerina.

#3 michaellevenson, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  4. michaellevenson

The Cardinal orders the burial.
    Major Krasakis tells Haldane in his home on the morning of the service,
    Kr " the funeral company have refused the job, that doesn't surprise me. My men will carry out the digging, I will also leave two men for 24 hours in case the burial is disturbed"
    H " you think they'll dig it up afterwards?"
    K " it's possible, but I can only keep my men there for so long"
    Krasakis leaves. Haldane turns to Annika.
    H " all this because of your mother, one crazy old woman, speak to her Annika"
    A " I cannot. It will hurt her too much"
    H " hurt HER! Have you any idea what may happen up there this morning? And yet you agree with all this madness"
    A " no I do not . The past should be left alone I agree entirely with you Leandros, but I cannot betray my mother"
    Petros is pleading with Katerina to end the vendetta .
    P " please mother. The Cardinal has given his blessing, let it rest"
    K " you know Petros, if I didn't still remember the agony of your birth, I'd question whether you were my son!"
    At the grave
    The coffin is lowered, the whole of Daphne are present. Krasakis and his men watch alertly. Tony Viglis, Leandros and Annika nearest to the grave. Katerina and Petros at the front of the villagers.
    Katerina" A Viglis is to be buried here in Daphne, can we allow it?"
    The crowd murmur, they start to edge forward. Krasakis and his men instinctively have hands hovering over their gun butts in case of violence.
    Annika steps forward,
    A " Andonis Viglis may you rest in peace with God. I Annika Zeferis, born Matakis say this"
    Katerina" Petros, your sister has lost her mind. Do something"
    P " Andonis Viglis rest in peace with God. I Petros Matakis, head of the family say this"
    K " you are a coward my son, shame is brought onto our family"
    P " Any retribution we will leave for God mother"
    The service proceeds, the people disperse.
    Haldane, " thank you Annika "
    A " I did what I had to, what I should have done before"
    H " Major Krasakis, I think all will be well now"
    Kr " let's hope so. Petros Matakis may not have heard the end of it though"
    Katerina pushes past them, Petros in tow, looking like a condemned man. What will his mother do to him!?"

5. michaellevenson

Neil McCarthy as Babis Spiridakis.
    [​IMG]

Stefan Gryff plays Major Krasakis, previously Capt Krasakis in the series The Lotus Eaters, also set in Crete, in 1972, five years earlier.
    [​IMG]

#5 michaellevenson, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018