Review Who Pays The Ferryman ep6- The Well

Discussion in 'TV: Reviews' started by michaellevenson, Jul 6, 2018.

1. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Driving along a mountain road Annika and Leandros come across an upturned jeep, with a man trapped underneath it.
    They rush to his assistance and pull him out. His name is Duncan Neave, a fifty something Englishman, and not a particularly polite one.
    Haldane " we'll get you to a doctors"
    Neave " don't bother, I'm okay, I must get back home"
    H "don't be daft man, you've probably broken your collar bone, and your vehicle is kaput"
    N " well get me to a bloody garage then"
    H " look, Neave, I'm taking you to a doctor's"
    Later...... coming out of the doctors' Neave has his arm in a sling.
    N " what now, I've got to get back to Maligala, in the mountains, my people will worry about me"
    H " we'll phone them from my place"
    Annika" I doubt there's a phone there Leandros or electricity"
    N " that's right, no phone, no electricity no water nothing"
    H " come back to my place and I can phone for a garage, I can put you up for the night, you can probably be back in Maligala tomorrow"
    That evening Haldane treats Neave to a meal at Elena and Nikos taverna. Across the room at another table are holiday couple from England, Mary and Terry Cooper, he is staring over at them.
    Mary " what is it dear, look like you've seen a ghost?"
    Terry " I think I have"
    After Haldane and Neave leave, Terry Cooper wanders over to the table and picks up a wine glass and pockets it much to his wife's bemusement.
    Meantime Annika is at her mother's villa.
    Katerina " one last time, I ask you not to see the Englishman ever again"
    A " I need a reason mother, other than he's a foreigner"
    K." I ask you,that is all"
    A " you may as well know I will probably marry him"
    K " he has asked you?"
    A " not yet, but he will. I'm sorry we will not have your blessing mother"
    Annika leaves, Matheos enters.
    K " did you hear?"
    M." Yes , I was at the door"
    K." she must not marry Haldane, you know what you must do"
    The next day Neave is in less pain, and more polite.
    N " thanks Haldane, the garage phoned while you were bathing, the jeeps' repaired but they want 2000 drachmas"
    H " seems reasonable"
    N " yeh, but I have only 800"
    H " okay I'll lend you the rest"
    N " no, I couldn't pay you back, but I'm not too proud to accept charity"
    H " okay"
    N " consider it your contribution to saving Maligala"
    After collecting the jeep for Neave Haldane goes back to collect him , and off they go to Maligala. Leandros notices a small motor in the back seat.
    N " that's for a project I'm doing in Maligala...drilling"
    After a treacherous mountain drive they arrive in Maligala, a very poor isolated village with no amenities at all. Greeting them is a young woman in her twenties.
    Samantha" where the hell have you been"
    N." Had an accident, Mr Haldane here was a good help"
    S " did you get the motor?"
    N " yes, look Haldane over there"
    H " a drill head?"
    N " yes, for water. We've gone down eighty feet, no luck so far"
    Inside Neave's crude accommodation he explains.
    N " I came here eight years ago, there was two springs, good water too, but they dried up, now I know there's more "
    H " that's your field of expertise then, engineering?"
    N " yes. The water dried up three years ago, we've dug five bores since then, but nothing"
    H " five in three years, is that all?"
    N " it's slow work Haldane, the motors keep breaking down, money is tight , but we'll persevere. Look I'll get Christos to drive you back down the mountain, but not now, it's getting dark, you can stay here the night"
    H " no problem"
    The next morning Neave is up early tending his drill, Leandros is washing when he hears moaning from Samantha's bedroom.
    H " are you okay Sam?"
    He enters, and finds her in bed with Christos, and quickly leaves.
    Outside he walks up to Neave.
    N " Sammys' in bed with one of the villagers isn't she?"
    H " you know?"
    N " I guessed it was going on"
    More...
    Previous Episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep5-receive-the-light.5084/
    Next episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep7-a-river-to-cross.5090/

#1 michaellevenson, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. michaellevenson

Later alone with a Samantha,
    S " did you tell him"
    H " no, but he guessed"
    S " you think I'm using him?"
    H " aren't you?"
    S " let me tell you how we met.
    He found me in Turkey, literally found me by the roadside. I was a mess, a junkie, needles the lot, he brought me here and helped me kick the habit. It was tough, I screamed and shouted at him, wished him dead , spat at him, he even had to tie me down to stop me ripping myself to shreds with my own nails. He would sit up with me, sometimes all night holding my hand when the cravings became unbearable. Then one day I was free of it, I know I'll never be completely cured, but I've kicked the habit. He saved my life. He then gave me money,a plane ticket and drove me to the airport and told me to get on with my life. But as I sat there waiting I knew I couldn't leave him I owe him so much, so I came back here , I love him.
    Still think i'm using him ? He is a good man , and good in bed too. The thing with Christos is my problem, but I love Duncan. And now he's saving Maligala. When the water ran out, many of the young ones drifted away, not fancying the three mile trek to the river for water, but Duncan knows there's water here somewhere, he has worked to the bone finding it. He drives the villagers on to do the drilling, sometimes even bullies them, does everything he can to get money for the equipment, even steal, all for the people, Duncan is a very special man".
    H " I'm sorry for doubting you. Do you think there's water here?"
    S " Duncan believes it, if there isn't it's the end of Maligala. Communities like this only exist up in the mountains where there's water"

#2 michaellevenson, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. michaellevenson

The next day Leandros is back home having breakfast with Annika when the doorbell rings. It is Major Krasakis with Terry Cooper.
    Kr " Leandros, Mrs Zeferis, sorry to disturb you, this is Mr Cooper from England , a police officer. You were seen in the company of this man"
    Krasakis shows him a police photo shot of Neave, but labeled Bernard Kingsley.
    Haldane" yes, but the name is Duncan Neave"
    Cooper " his real name is Bernard Kingsley. Wanted for murder. Been on the run for eight years"
    H " who did he murder ?"
    C " his wife, I was with the Leicester constabulary, rumours were he had another woman, but that turned out to be gossip. His wife had incurable cancer, so Kingsley gave her an overdose"
    H " a mercy killing?"
    C " as you know Mr Haldane there's no such provision in English law for that. I have to take him back for trial"
    H " don't you think he's suffered enough?"
    C " I'm sure he has, more than you realise. He is a Roman Catholic, as was his wife....and so am I."
    Kr " where is he Leandros?"
    H " Are you sure you have the right man"
    C " certain, I got his fingerprints from the taverna, his wine glass"
    Kr " where is he?"
    H " and if I don't tell you?"
    Kr " then I'd have no choice but to arrest you for obstructing the law, and don't think I wouldn't"
    Annika tells, " he's in Maligala"

#3 michaellevenson, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. michaellevenson

In Maligala Leandros has driven back to warn Neave or Kingsley as he is really.
    N " Sam! Sam! "
    S " what's happening?"
    N " the police are on there way to arrest me.( to Haldane ) she knows the whole truth"
    S " you did this Haldane"
    N " no no, an off duty police officer saw me, and contacted the gendarmes"
    H " I can get you out of here,hide you, some friends can smuggle you to Egypt "
    S " well come on what are we waiting for?"
    N " no, you're not going Sam, and neither am I. It's time to stop running"
    The police arrive, Krasakis and his men get out. Samantha disappears for a short time.
    Cooper is with the police.
    C " Bernard Kingsley I have a warrant for your arrest"
    Samantha is covering them with a rifle,
    S " nobody move or I'll blow your heads off. Duncan, Haldane get in the jeep, we can still get out"
    N " drop the gun Sammy. You would be a fugitive with me, I can't allow that. Drop it...now"
    Kingsley is led away, Samantha in tears.
    Next day Haldane returns to Maligala,
    H " you didn't see him off at the airport?"
    S " no , one tearful farewell was enough"
    H " Cooper says, if he pleads guilty to manslaughter he could get a suspended sentence, at most he'll do three years"
    S " he'll be back then, I'll wait"
    H " it could be three years Sammy"
    S" I know"
    Sammy sees the villagers lounging about ,
    S " come on , drill drill, you owe him that much. He's coming back, now come on , if you want water drill!"
    Haldane gets in his car where Annika is waiting,
    H " she's going to wait for him"
    A " of course, that is true love"