Michael J Bird's Who Pays The Ferryman - Whole Series Thread

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I have created 8 threads for this series, one per episode , but for convenience here is the whole series in one thread.

1. Return To Yesterday
BBC series made in 1977, set in Crete. Eight episodes.
Alan Haldane, a boat builder, has had to relinquish control of his company after a hostile takeover. He decides to return to Crete, to " look for answers, find myself", thirty years after he was last on the island.
During the second world war he fought with the partisan army repelling the Nazis. He saved many Cretans, killed many Germans and was a bit of a hero.
Back on Crete he visits an olive grove,now so peaceful, we see flashbacks of the carnage that took place in that field during battle. His thoughts are interrupted by a pretty woman, Annika Zeferis, who now owns the land. She invites him in to her home.
images (5).jpeg

They drink wine, he tells her of his past . A man enters, swarthy, moustached, Matheos Noukskis, he is Annika's factory manager and friend. After Haldane leaves, Annika can't stop talking about him to Matheos who is clearly jealous. He makes his move, he proposes to her, she declines. She tells him a story, why they cannot marry.
" The mountain was once in love with the sea, and sent as a gift to the sea a clear blue stream. The stream turned into a river and finally entered the sea. The sea poisoned the river with salt. Why do you do this? said the mountain, I gave you a gift and you ruined it, do you despise me? The sea replied, salt is vital to me, I need it to survive. I am honoured by your gift but salt is the one thing you cannot provide me"
A rather cryptic way of telling Matheos that he isn't man enough for her and cannot provide something she craves. This will have devastating consequences later in the series.
Alan Haldane visits Babis Spiridakis, a lawyer and old friend from the war, a fellow partisan fighter. They greet in Babis' plush office in town. But the greeting is muted and Haldane wants to know why.
fVXaPGIaplIC0OKi8ni3MkRlC0Y.jpg
Haldane was given the nickname Leandros, an ancient Greek name of honour.
Babis " Leandros do you remember Malina Matakis?"
Haldane" of course I loved her"
B " after you got sent back to England after the war, Malina was pregnant with your child, she wrote to you to tell you, but you never replied, she thought you had abandoned her"
H " I would never do that. I wrote three times. I never heard from her. I assumed she didn't want to see me again. I moved on."
B " As far as I know she never received any letters. It was difficult for her being single and carrying baby, here in Crete such things can make life impossible. Luckily for her Stellios Papadakis from our little group, stepped in and saw her unhappiness, took the responsibility of the child himself and married her. Malina was extremely grateful. She was fond of him, and they had a happy but brief marriage. He died in 1949 , and Malina died four years ago from a brain haemorrhage"
H " I'm truly sorry, I did write, I swear it Babis. Do you believe me?"
B " Leandros, of course! You are my brother, I remember the bullets you removed from my body, saved my life"
The two hug.
H " and the child?"
B " she is now a woman , married herself with a son..Elena Vassilakis , her husband Nikos and son Alexis"
H " I want to see her Babis"
B " you can't!! She believes Stellios was her father"
H " I wont tell her I'm her father but I must see her, talk to her. Please Babis"
Elena and Nikos run a taverna about 30 miles away in a neighbouring town on the coast.
Haldane enters and buys a drink. He engages in chit chat with Elena, longing to tell the truth but daren't. Nikos comes to the bar, Haldane sits at a table while a quarrel between Elena and Nikos rages, and rages..in Greek of course.
Next day back with Babis,
B " yes they quarrel a lot lately. The problem is about their future. Elena owns the taverna, it's her legacy from Malina. Nikos is not happy with that for a start. He is ambitious and wants to sell it, a development company have made an offer but Elena refuses to sell. In the end Nikos I fear will give her an ultimatum"
H " him or the taverna?"
B " yes, and she loves her husband , so she cannot win"
Meanwhile Matheos spurned by Annika visits Katerina Matakis, mother of Malina and also of Annika.
K " how is my daughter Matheos? How is she running our factory?"
M " she is very headstrong but doing well "
K " she needs a man. I would give my blessing to you marrying her Matheos"
M " I have asked, but she seems interested in an Englishman. A holiday maker I think. An Alan Haldane"
Katerina cries out in shock, drops the wine glass she was holding " Leandros!! No!"
Haldane is back Annika's house for dinner. Romance is in the air, they kiss.
The next day in the taverna Haldane sees Annika there talking to Elena.
H " do you come here often ?"
A " yes very often, and you ?"
H " well , I will now, Babis Spiridakis has lent me his villa up the road, so I'll be staying for some time"
A " that is good Leandros. Elena you see is my niece so I'll be here often too"
H " your niece?"
A " her mother Malina was my sister"
OMG ! After apparently abandoning Malina, though he didn't really, he now is dating her sister., and he daren't reveal that to Annika.
But who caused this misery all those years ago? Did Haldane write to Malina?
In her villa, the aged mother Katerina, opens a writing desk, in it is three letters that she now takes out, all opened and addressed to Malina, that she intercepted and never told her daughter. She allowed Malina to think Leandros had deserted her. But why?

Last edited:

michaellevenson

2. Some Talk Of Alexander
Alan "Leandros" Haldane has decided to settle down, possibly for good in Alunda to stay near his daughter Elena. He also wants to see if he can help with their problem regarding the taverna. Babis Spiridakis doesn't think this is a smart move.
B " you may get hurt. Elena not knowing you're her father might regard it as interference from a stranger"
H " well I'll have to win her trust"
Annika has been summoned almost by her mother Katerina to visit her in her villa.
K " I hear you're seeing an Englishman"
A " not any Englishman. It's Leandros, who fought for the Andartes during the war"
K " You invited him to dinner alone?"
A " what of it mother?"
K " you've already made one bad choice for a husband. A divorce that bought shame on our family name. Matheos would be a better choice, and he loves you. Yet you treat him badly"
A " Matheos is my business manager and I treat him well but I don't love him. But why talk of marriage? I've only met Leandros a few times. But I do find him attractive"
K " promise me you'll never see him again"
A "why?"
K " because I have asked you, that is enough"
A " for what reason are you against this man?"
K " promise me!"
A " no mother, I cannot, and I'm seeing him tonight. You now know without Matheos coming here to tell you "
That evening, in town at a restaurant Annika and Haldane meet another Englishman, Hebden, and his daughter Josephine (Lalla Ward). Hebden too fought here in Crete during the war, but not with the partisan army, the Andartes, he tells his story.
MV5BZWRjOWVmOGMtMWYzMy00ZTZjLTg5YzgtYTM3ODIzODFmNTMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpgMV5BMWNkMGM1ZTctYjY4OC00NTRlLWE1NjItM2FlMDFjZDRiODM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg
H " I was with signals corp, stationed about 40 miles from here. Our job was to keep a lookout for the Germans and get word to the authorities and protect the coastal village. We came under attack, and lost many men. The Germans advanced towards us. We had a choice of surrender and be a POW or try to retreat and warn the Andartes. They were just nine of us left, two injured, we couldn't leave them, so we carried them, that slowed us down. Most of the men wanted to surrender but I was the ranking sergeant, we had lost the other officers, so I took charge. It was a slow march, a Stuka bomber spotted us from the air and sprayed the road.."
Haldane" how many survived?"
Heb " Five of us, we lost one wounded, in the attack, so me , one wounded and three others made it to Alunda. The Andartes hid us in a cave until we could get out"
Josephine" my father loves telling his war story, but I forgive him, he's a hero"
Hebden " oh , I'm no hero, not like you Leandros"
Annika " you are a hero Mr Hebden, all those who fought for us Cretans were"
The next day Haldane is at home when the police call.
MV5BN2IzNTk4YTMtMWE0Ni00NjE5LTgwNGQtZTA3OGQ4ODM3NWQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg
Kr " my name is Major Krasakis. I know all about you Mr Haldane, or Leandros if you prefer. I need your help. An old man , on a donkey is coming down from the hills, he'll be here the day after tomorrow. His intention is to kill Hebden"
H "whatever for!?"
Krasakis" I gather Hebden dined with you last night and told you of his bravery. He didn't tell the whole story. All Cretans know that Hebden's group hiding in that cave were found by the Nazis. The officer in charge of them made a deal with the English sergeant, to leave them be if they revealed the location of the Cretan terrorists, the Andartes. Hebden agreed. That night 36 men women and children died in the attack. The people of Alunda were gathered in the square as the executions of other Andartes fighters took place"
H " I had heard something of this, but we always thought it was German propaganda"
K " it was no propaganda. I want you to speak to Hebden and get him to leave. I can not stop the old man, Goulskis, he has committed no crime. When the people of Alunda find out they will demand blood. I will do.my best to uphold the law but it may prove impossible"
H " I'll do what I can Major"
But Hebden denies everything.
Hb " it's nonsense Leandros"
Josephine " and what is this major Krasakis doing? Nothing ! It's outrageous"
Hb " I will stay and face this man"
Matheos is quick to put the boot in and tells Annika,
" I hear an old man from the mountains is coming to kill an Englishman who betrayed the Andartes . It seems your Leandros is not the hero he would have you believe"
In the quiet of their hotel room Hebden has had second thoughts, he tells his daughter,
Hb " perhaps Haldane was right, maybe we should leave Jo"
J " that would make people believe the lies"
In the square the whole of Alunda is there, including Annika and Haldane. Hebden stares in the face of the old man as he clambers off his donkey.
The man is puzzled, looking at Hebden astonished, not who he expected.
Hebden " you know don't you?"
Hebden collapses on his knees in tears.
Hb " it wasn't me, it was sergeant McKenzie. Please tell these people, it wasn't me. I wasn't even a sergeant, I was one of the wounded. I was carried for days by the others, I lost consciousness many times, I don't even remember the cave, we lost men because of me! They would not leave me. I contributed nothing"
He uncontrollably sobs, Leandros picks him up, even the old man seeking revenge feels pity.
Hb ( sobbing) " I'm sorry Jo"
Jo " it was all lies, the father I admired, all built on lies"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

3. The Long Shadow

Alan "Leandros" Haldane has an idea to solve Elena's problem regarding her husbands insistence that their taverna be sold to property developers. He is with Elena discussing it.
taverna8-3.jpg

At his home meanwhile, the villa he has borrowed from lawyer friend Babis, Matheos Noukakis turns up. He is delivering a gift from Annika. It is a mast for a small sailing vessel. Haldane is in the boat building business and in the sitting room are plans and drawings for a boat. Matheos enters, leaving the mast outside of course, the door unlocked. No sign of Haldane, but on the table is a letter, an airmail envelope from England.
Matheos is of course full of jealousy with Leandros and Annika openly seeing each other. He reads the letter, and has a plan for a rather cruel joke.
Annika, Elena, Nikos and Haldane all sit at Annika's place and discuss a plan to transform the taverna. Haldane will invest capital into taverna and build a dozen or so small boats, creating work for the locals, and turn the taverna into a holiday destination for tourists, accommodation and boat hiring rolled into one. Nikos is persuaded, and the marital quarrels between him and Elana hopefully behind them. Haldane of course tells everyone that he expects a profit, and not that he's doing it because he's Elena's father, a fact that no one except Babis Spiridakis knows.
Babis is visiting Katerina, the mother of Annika, who last episode failed to stop Annika seeing Leandros.
K " Annika still refuses to take my advice. She is headstrong and also I worry about my granddaughter Elena, this business with the taverna"
B " ah Katerina , there i have good news for you. An offer to invest in the taverna has been made, to turn it into a profitable business. Nikos has accepted. The offer comes from a friend of mine, a good man called Alan Haldane, he fought in the war for the Andartes, we call him Leandros. You must have heard of him?"
K " yes I have "
She turns away in disgust , but says nothing. Leandros is weaseling his way into her family as far as she is concerned. Her guilty secret of 30 years,( see ep1) could be exposed.
MV5BZTllNDc5NzktZGJhYi00NGIyLWEzM2ItNGMxNmE0YzZkZmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4NzkyNDg1._V1_QL75_UY28...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Haldane is at home , just rang Annika thanking her for the mast, he is at his work desk pouring over boat designs when the door bell rings. In walks Lorna Mathews, this is the woman who wrote to him from England.
Lorna " Alan I was so happy when I got your telegram, and the air ticket. That was sweet of you. You didn't have to , just knowing you're still interested in me , I would have flown here."
The letter was Lorna telling Alan that a guy named Philip had proposed to her, and at her age, 42, she was considering accepting, but wanted to finally make sure that there was no chance of getting back with her old flame Alan. But Haldane replied, she is so happy.
Haldane "Lorna, there's no easy way of saying this, but I didn't send a telegram or an air ticket. Someone has played a rather cruel joke, and when I find out who I'll break their neck!"
Lorna collapses in tears , Alan comforts her, then looks up and sees Annika in the open doorway.
Annika runs out and gets in her car and drives off.
Lorna accepts it's over between her and Haldane, and that he loves Annika. Haldane has told her the whole story, about Malina back in '44, his daughter Elena, and now he is in love with Malina 's sister , and daren't reveal this to Annika.
H " even if she loves me, she being Malina 's sister would believe I abandoned her and never wrote to her after the war. I could lose Annika too"
On her way to the airport and home Lorna stops off at Annika's home.
A " why are you here? to boast?"
L " you made a big mistake, there's nothing between Alan and me. He was just comforting me after a rather cruel joke" She tells Annika all about it.
A " thank you, it was brave of you to come here"
L " take care of Alan, he is worth holding on to, something I couldn't do"
Later Annika confronts Matheos,
" I had to go to every travel agent to find out, but it was you who bought the air ticket, and sent the telegram"
M " I did it for you. Haldane is not the right man for you"
matheos.jpg
A " I will decide that! Not you. Anyway you did it not for me but because you're a spiteful and jealous man..you were a good factory manager, I'll miss you for that, but do not go back there again, any money owing you will be sent. Now get out, and light a candle if Leandros ever finds out what you did to him"
M." I'm not afraid of him. I have friends, many, if I sneeze he will catch cold, if I spit at him he will drown"
At Katerina's villa, her son Petros has arrived.
P " mother what is this secrecy, that I had to fly here from Athens so urgently?"
K " it concerns your sisters. Malina, may she rest in peace, and Annika. A man has come to Crete who threatens the good name of one, and the happiness of the other. Your duty is to go against this man, and if necessary destroy him!"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

4. A Dead Man To Carry My Cross
Arriving in Crete at the airport is an Australian, Tony Viglis, bringing with him a coffin containing his grandfather, who was born on Crete and his dying wish was to be buried in his home village of Daphne in the mountains.
Meantime Katerina Matakis and her son Petros,
P " but Mother, the past is the past, let it go. Why should I stand against this Haldane?"
K " you dare say that. Our family is dishonoured"
P " but what can I do ?"
K " you must oppose this Haldane in everything he does. Drive him out of Crete, and if it should be necessary kill him"
Matheos Noukakis enters with some news regarding the arrival of Tony Viglis.
M " the coffin contains Andonis Viglis, this Tony Viglis wishes to bury his grandfather in Daphne"
K " God in heaven! No ! That shall not happen. I will see to that"
Alan "Leandros" Haldane has been busy constructing the boat he has been working on since arriving in Crete. Annika has persuaded him to take a day's rest. She wishes to show him her home village where she was born. The village is Daphne.
After seeing the sights, Leandros and Annika go to a café. In to Daphne drives Tony Viglis, he enters the cafe.
V " anyone here speak English?"
H " yes"
V " Ah bonza mate. My name's Viglis, I'm looking for the local priest. Been to the church, someone is there but they slammed the bloody door on me"
All the people in the café get up and walk out .
H "Annika what's going on?"
A " quick Leandros lets leave"
Outside the villagers are gathered, some armed with pickaxes or hammers. One goes over to Viglis' car and smashes it.
Viglis runs over, two men stop him, and punch him hard, Haldane tries to help Viglis, Annika cries out in Greek, suddenly everyone stops.
A " get him out of here Leandros"
H " what the hell is going on"
A " they have their reasons. Don't judge them harshly"
H " what could possibly justify this barbaric behaviour."
images (4).jpegdownload (3).jpeg
A " I'll explain later, now just go"
Haldane takes Viglis back to his house , he is concussed and a doctor is sent for. Annika arrives.
A " where is he?"
H " resting in bed . The doctor gave him something to sleep. He'll be okay"
Annika explains " there used to be many Viglis in Daphne, they were bad people, thieves , rustlers, they held the villages of the mountains in fear. One day they murdered two girls from Daphne, the people rose up, and hanged the killers. To this day no Viglis has ever set foot in Daphne again"
H " Viglis wants to bury his grandfather there"
A " that won't be permitted. Anywhere else on Crete ,yes, but not in Daphne"
H " sounds like you agree with them?"
A " they are my people. I understand, I will not interfere"
H " when did all this start?"
A " 1916"
H " Jesus! That's 70 odd years ago. Speak to them, tell them to stop this madness"
A " I cannot"
H " cannot or will not?"
A " does it matter?"
H " to me yes, a great deal"
A " okay, WILL NOT! "
H " then you're as bad as they are"
Annika storms out, the first real argument between her and Haldane.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Major Michael Krasakis arrives at Haldane's place.
K " how is Mr Viglis?"
H " resting"
K " my men have been to Daphne, but no witnesses will come forward. That is not surprising"
H " yes, I know all about it"
K " perhaps you do not know that left to their own the people of Daphne would have no objection to Andonis Viglis being buried there, but unfortunately they have not been left to decide for themselves. The land on which Daphne stands is owned by one family, the villagers pay rent to this family, and it is they who fan the flames of vendetta against the Viglis family"
H " in other words do what we tell you or get off our land?"
K." Maybe not quite as crude as that, but yes. As an officer of the law I can impose order on any miscreants but I can't order the burial to be allowed, that is a matter for the Church"
H " well, Annika , Mrs Zeferis, has some influence, maybe she can do something"
K." I think not Leandros, her maiden name is Matakis, the family that own Daphne. You look shocked, you didn't know?"
H " no I bloody didn't"
K " the person behind this feud is Katerina Matakis, I will see her today. But I hold out little hope"
Krasakis with Katerina,
K " Madam Matakis you realise incitement to violence is a crime?"
K " there was no incitement, it was not necessary"
Kr " if for any reason Tony Viglis returns to Daphne and any harm comes to him, I will stand squarely with him"
K " you would protect him against people of your own blood?"
Kr " no, the law will do that. My duty is to uphold the law"
K " in man's law, there is no justice"
Kr " Justice is blind. It doesn't differentiate between Cretan and non Cretan. Good day Madam Matakis"

In the office of Babis Spiridakis.
B " the way I see it there can be no religious reason to deny the burial. I assume your grandfather was on good terms with the catholic church"
Viglis" too right went to services every week"
B " it would simplify things Mr Vigils if you buried your grandfather elsewhere"
V " look my grandfather worked dammed hard all his life.. He bought that plot of land for his burial, and no barbarians are going to stop him having his final wish fulfilled"
Haldane " can you speak to Katerina Matakis Babis?.make her see reason?"
B " it would do no good. She would be deaf to all entreaties. She feels deeply about the wrong perpetrated against her family. I have spoken to local priest, he says the cemetery is full and cannot have another internment. This I know to be a lie. So as your lawyer Mr Viglis I can contact the Cardinal, on ascertaining the facts, I'm sure he will order the burial. The priest of Daphne will then have to conduct the funeral, but then it may still not be enough to stop Katerina.

michaellevenson

The Cardinal orders the burial.
Major Krasakis tells Haldane in his home on the morning of the service,
Kr " the funeral company have refused the job, that doesn't surprise me. My men will carry out the digging, I will also leave two men for 24 hours in case the burial is disturbed"
H " you think they'll dig it up afterwards?"
K " it's possible, but I can only keep my men there for so long"
Krasakis leaves. Haldane turns to Annika.
H " all this because of your mother, one crazy old woman, speak to her Annika"
A " I cannot. It will hurt her too much"
H " hurt HER! Have you any idea what may happen up there this morning? And yet you agree with all this madness"
A " no I do not . The past should be left alone I agree entirely with you Leandros, but I cannot betray my mother"
Petros is pleading with Katerina to end the vendetta .
P " please mother. The Cardinal has given his blessing, let it rest"
K " you know Petros, if I didn't still remember the agony of your birth, I'd question whether you were my son!"
MV5BMmNlNmFiODEtZWE3ZC00NTk0LWE0OWMtMWNmNTRjNjdmNTYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg
At the grave
The coffin is lowered, the whole of Daphne are present. Krasakis and his men watch alertly. Tony Viglis, Leandros and Annika nearest to the grave. Katerina and Petros at the front of the villagers.
Katerina" A Viglis is to be buried here in Daphne, can we allow it?"
The crowd murmur, they start to edge forward. Krasakis and his men instinctively have hands hovering over their gun butts in case of violence.
MV5BODhiMTYwNTgtNWZiZS00OTc0LWE1ZGItMWQ2NjQ3NDcxM2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpgendcredits4.jpg
Annika steps forward,
A " Andonis Viglis may you rest in peace with God. I Annika Zeferis, born Matakis say this"
Katerina" Petros, your sister has lost her mind. Do something"
P " Andonis Viglis rest in peace with God. I Petros Matakis, head of the family say this"
K " you are a coward my son, shame is brought onto our family"
P " Any retribution we will leave for God mother"
The service proceeds, the people disperse.
Haldane, " thank you Annika "
A " I did what I had to, what I should have done before"
H " Major Krasakis, I think all will be well now"
Kr " let's hope so. Petros Matakis may not have heard the end of it though"
Katerina pushes past them, Petros in tow, looking like a condemned man. What will his mother do to him!?"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

5. Receive The Light
In Katerina Matakis villa she is talking to Matheos.
" I must place a burden on you, that of vendetta. A great wrong has been done to my family, I cannot tell you of it, but I need your help. The Englishman Leandros must be driven out of Crete. You will have my support, and I will be very grateful. My son as a result of his cowardice has forfeited his inheritance. You understand Matheos? Drive Haldane out or destroy him!"
Matheos leaves the villa, a plan formulating in his mind.
matheos16.jpg
On the beach Leandros,Annika and Nikos, ( Elena's husband) are admiring the finished boat that Leandros has built, christened The Knot.
Annika " it is a good name Leandros, the knot that ties you to our community to our hearts"
A fisherman , Andreas, comes along with his two sons and challenges the " mighty Leandros" to a race.
A " your boat against mine. I'm a Cretan, no one can make boats for our waters like we do. What do you say Leandros? The winner keeps the losers boat as the prize"
Haldane hesitates,
A " what is the matter? Frightened of losing?"
H " no no, I just wondered what I'll do with two sailing boats. Probably sell yours"
Andreas roars with laughter.
A " tomorrow is Easter Friday, a day of mourning for Christ, but on Sunday he rises , so we celebrate, and then we race"
H " okay a deal"
Leandros and Annika go to lunch at Elena's taverna, then Annika returns to her factory to prepare for the holiday break. Leandros returns home , and finds it's been vandalized.
Later, Major Krasakis is examining the place with Leandros. Everything destroyed, furniture smashed up, graffiti on the walls, a total mess
Kr " you say nothing has been taken?"
H " no, just wrecked, look at this, months of drawings and designs for sailboats I was doing for Nikos and my business venture, just gone, now just wastepaper. Why Major, and who?"
Leandros goes to see Babis, who owns the villa.
H " your stuff wasn't touched , just mine, but I thought you ought to know"
B " have you told Annika?"
H " no"
B " she will comfort you , considering her feelings for you"
H " what feelings?"
B " Leandros surely you know, she loves you, and can't understand why you hold back in your feelings to her"
H " how can I tell her how I feel? She'll find out sooner or later about Malina then I'll lose her for sure"
B " perhaps it is better to lose something precious than never have it at all"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Annika is staying at her niece Elena's taverna for the holiday period, she tells Annika what happened at Leandros place.
Annika helps Leandros tidy the place up. They kiss, a love that they both share for each other is obvious. She stays the night.
Saturday night , approaching midnight, the whole of the people of Alunda are at church celebrating Easter rising. One by one everyone takes a lighted candle.
Annika " come Leandros, receive the light. It is our tradition, if you can walk home from Church with the candle still lit you will have good luck for a year"
haldaneannika2.jpg
The next morning, the race is on .
Andreas" you understand the course Englishman?"
H " yep, to the island of Spriralonga, through the headway, and back along the west coast and back here"
A " okay, may God give good fortune to both our boats, but more to mine eh Englishman?"
images (10).jpeg

The race starts, Leandros wins quite easily. Babis and Annika congratulate him ,
B " now Andreas has nothing. A fisherman without a boat, and he is poor"
H " aw c'mon I'm not going to hold him to the bet"
A " you must Leandros, it would dishonour him not to take the boat, and in public"
Andreas comes over carrying a bottle of brandy.
A " well you've won Englishman. This bottle was for you to console you in defeat, but now I drink it. You said you'd sell my boat, what is your price Leandros?"
H " erm...one bottle of brandy"
A " done! Now we celebrate"
A big beach party takes place that evening. While the party is in full swing, Matheos creeps up to The Knot with a can of petrol, and after emptying it strikes a match.
Some time later someone runs onto the beach from harbour shouting in Greek.
Annika " he says your boat is on fire"
Everyone runs to the harbour, but it's hopeless, the fire has engulfed the boat.
The next day Leandros is sitting staring at the charred remains, very depressed with what Major Krasakis tells him.
K " we found a petrol can in the remains. I think we must link this to the vandalism at your place. You have enemies, someone wants you off of Crete"
H " but who?"
K "I have a suspect in mind , I questioned him but he claims he was elsewhere last night, and others support him, so I can do nothing for now. Good day Mr Haldane."
Babis and Annika are nearby,
B " he put everything into that boat, a man like him feels this deeply, he may give up, give up on us Annika"
Krasakis leaves, suddenly a convoy of vehicles arrive, out steps Andreas the fisherman with a dozen or so others,
H " what's going on?"
MV5BNjMyODNiYjEtZmQyNi00NWZiLWFmN2QtNmZhNTFiYWU3NTUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4NzkyNDg1._V1_.jpg
Andreas " we come to help you rebuild the boat. We are brothers now yes! You are the great Leandros, we are your tools. Friends"
Annika " receive the light Leandros, of friendship, warmth, from us to you with love"
A truck arrives with timber , tools ,
Andreas" okay Englishman let's get to work"
Babis whispers to Annika " he is back with us, tied to the people, his people now"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

6. The Well
Driving along a mountain road Annika and Leandros come across an upturned jeep, with a man trapped underneath it.
They rush to his assistance and pull him out. His name is Duncan Neave, a fifty something Englishman, and not a particularly polite one.
Haldane " we'll get you to a doctors"
Neave " don't bother, I'm okay, I must get back home"
H "don't be daft man, you've probably broken your collar bone, and your vehicle is kaput"
N " well get me to a bloody garage then"
H " look, Neave, I'm taking you to a doctor's"
Later...... coming out of the doctors' Neave has his arm in a sling.
N " what now, I've got to get back to Maligala, in the mountains, my people will worry about me"
H " we'll phone them from my place"
Annika" I doubt there's a phone there Leandros or electricity"
N " that's right, no phone, no electricity no water nothing"
H " come back to my place and I can phone for a garage, I can put you up for the night, you can probably be back in Maligala tomorrow"
wO3IFm22vXvI63y4YFPaUBb6C3m.jpg

That evening Haldane treats Neave to a meal at Elena and Nikos taverna. Across the room at another table are holiday couple from England, Mary and Terry Cooper, he is staring over at them.
Mary " what is it dear, look like you've seen a ghost?"
Terry " I think I have"
After Haldane and Neave leave, Terry Cooper wanders over to the table and picks up a wine glass and pockets it much to his wife's bemusement.
Meantime Annika is at her mother's villa.
Katerina " one last time, I ask you not to see the Englishman ever again"
A " I need a reason mother, other than he's a foreigner"
K." I ask you,that is all"
A " you may as well know I will probably marry him"
K " he has asked you?"
A " not yet, but he will. I'm sorry we will not have your blessing mother"
Annika leaves, Matheos enters.
K " did you hear?"
M." Yes , I was at the door"
K." she must not marry Haldane, you know what you must do"
The next day Neave is in less pain, and more polite.
N " thanks Haldane, the garage phoned while you were bathing, the jeeps' repaired but they want 2000 drachmas"
H " seems reasonable"
N " yeh, but I have only 800"
H " okay I'll lend you the rest"
N " no, I couldn't pay you back, but I'm not too proud to accept charity"
H " okay"
N " consider it your contribution to saving Maligala"
After collecting the jeep for Neave Haldane goes back to collect him , and off they go to Maligala. Leandros notices a small motor in the back seat.
N " that's for a project I'm doing in Maligala...drilling"
After a treacherous mountain drive they arrive in Maligala, a very poor isolated village with no amenities at all. Greeting them is a young woman in her twenties.
Samantha" where the hell have you been"
N." Had an accident, Mr Haldane here was a good help"
S " did you get the motor?"
N " yes, look Haldane over there"
H " a drill head?"
N " yes, for water. We've gone down eighty feet, no luck so far"
Inside Neave's crude accommodation he explains.
N " I came here eight years ago, there was two springs, good water too, but they dried up, now I know there's more "
H " that's your field of expertise then, engineering?"
N " yes. The water dried up three years ago, we've dug five bores since then, but nothing"
H " five in three years, is that all?"
N " it's slow work Haldane, the motors keep breaking down, money is tight , but we'll persevere. Look I'll get Christos to drive you back down the mountain, but not now, it's getting dark, you can stay here the night"
H " no problem"
The next morning Neave is up early tending his drill, Leandros is washing when he hears moaning from Samantha's bedroom.
H " are you okay Sam?"
He enters, and finds her in bed with Christos, and quickly leaves.
Outside he walks up to Neave.
N " Sammys' in bed with one of the villagers isn't she?"
H " you know?"
N " I guessed it was going on"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Later alone with a Samantha,
S " did you tell him"
H " no, but he guessed"
S " you think I'm using him?"
H " aren't you?"
S " let me tell you how we met.
He found me in Turkey, literally found me by the roadside. I was a mess, a junkie, needles the lot, he brought me here and helped me kick the habit. It was tough, I screamed and shouted at him, wished him dead , spat at him, he even had to tie me down to stop me ripping myself to shreds with my own nails. He would sit up with me, sometimes all night holding my hand when the cravings became unbearable. Then one day I was free of it, I know I'll never be completely cured, but I've kicked the habit. He saved my life. He then gave me money,a plane ticket and drove me to the airport and told me to get on with my life. But as I sat there waiting I knew I couldn't leave him I owe him so much, so I came back here , I love him.
Still think i'm using him ? He is a good man , and good in bed too. The thing with Christos is my problem, but I love Duncan. And now he's saving Maligala. When the water ran out, many of the young ones drifted away, not fancying the three mile trek to the river for water, but Duncan knows there's water here somewhere, he has worked to the bone finding it. He drives the villagers on to do the drilling, sometimes even bullies them, does everything he can to get money for the equipment, even steal, all for the people, Duncan is a very special man".
H " I'm sorry for doubting you. Do you think there's water here?"
S " Duncan believes it, if there isn't it's the end of Maligala. Communities like this only exist up in the mountains where there's water"

The next day Leandros is back home having breakfast with Annika when the doorbell rings. It is Major Krasakis with Terry Cooper.
Kr " Leandros, Mrs Zeferis, sorry to disturb you, this is Mr Cooper from England , a police officer. You were seen in the company of this man"
Krasakis shows him a police photo shot of Neave, but labeled Bernard Kingsley.
Haldane" yes, but the name is Duncan Neave"
Cooper " his real name is Bernard Kingsley. Wanted for murder. Been on the run for eight years"
H " who did he murder ?"
C " his wife, I was with the Leicester constabulary, rumours were he had another woman, but that turned out to be gossip. His wife had incurable cancer, so Kingsley gave her an overdose"
H " a mercy killing?"
C " as you know Mr Haldane there's no such provision in English law for that. I have to take him back for trial"
H " don't you think he's suffered enough?"
C " I'm sure he has, more than you realise. He is a Roman Catholic, as was his wife....and so am I."
Kr " where is he Leandros?"
H " Are you sure you have the right man"
C " certain, I got his fingerprints from the taverna, his wine glass"
Kr " where is he?"
H " and if I don't tell you?"
Kr " then I'd have no choice but to arrest you for obstructing the law, and don't think I wouldn't"
Annika tells, " he's in Maligala"

michaellevenson

In Maligala Leandros has driven back to warn Neave or Kingsley as he is really.
N " Sam! Sam! "
S " what's happening?"
N " the police are on there way to arrest me.( to Haldane ) she knows the whole truth"
S " you did this Haldane"
N " no no, an off duty police officer saw me, and contacted the gendarmes"
H " I can get you out of here,hide you, some friends can smuggle you to Egypt "
S " well come on what are we waiting for?"
N " no, you're not going Sam, and neither am I. It's time to stop running"
The police arrive, Krasakis and his men get out. Samantha disappears for a short time.
Cooper is with the police.
C " Bernard Kingsley I have a warrant for your arrest"
Samantha is covering them with a rifle,
S " nobody move or I'll blow your heads off. Duncan, Haldane get in the jeep, we can still get out"
N " drop the gun Sammy. You would be a fugitive with me, I can't allow that. Drop it...now"
Kingsley is led away, Samantha in tears.
Next day Haldane returns to Maligala,
H " you didn't see him off at the airport?"
S " no , one tearful farewell was enough"
H " Cooper says, if he pleads guilty to manslaughter he could get a suspended sentence, at most he'll do three years"
S " he'll be back then, I'll wait"
H " it could be three years Sammy"
S" I know"
Sammy sees the villagers lounging about ,
S " come on , drill drill, you owe him that much. He's coming back, now come on , if you want water drill!"
Haldane gets in his car where Annika is waiting,
H " she's going to wait for him"
A " of course, that is true love"
MV5BYzBjMThlMDktYTQ0Ni00NDlkLTg1YzEtNjE1YjJhODVmOTAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

7. A River To Cross
In Katerina Matakis villa,
Matheos " I have done all I can to drive Leandros out of Crete"
K " and failed"
M " now what you ask is too much of a risk. To kill him"
K." Are you not seething with resentment? He has ended any chance you had of marrying my daughter. Do you not hate him?"
M " not as much as you Katerina , for a reason you will not tell me"
K " I have promised you my son's inheritance. Is that not enough?"
M " to take such a risk, I'd want more. Such as the brickworks you own, I believe I could do a good job as your manager. Better than your current one, make it more profitable for you"
K." Okay, I can arrange that"
M." Also I want some insurance. In case you change your mind"
K " what insurance?"
M." A letter, signed by both of us, a pact between us, outlining our intentions"
K " which you will keep I suppose, so you can use against me any time you wish"
M " there will be no need surely, we both want Leandros dead"
K " very well"
Katerina goes to her writing bureau and takes out paper.
While this conspiracy to murder is fermenting it's all good news for Leandros, Annika, Elena and Nikos. A spate of happy events.
Leandros boat is rebuilt, so he throws a party for all those men of Alunda who helped.
Nikos finally and formally agrees to go into business partnership with Leandros. He and Elena are at the office of Babis Spiridakis , who will draw up documents to be signed by all parties. Babis phones Annika with the news, she tells Leandros.
A" I have a very busy few days at the refinery Leandros, meetings to attend, I won't be able to see you until Sunday. Why not have the signing take place then at my house. Then afterwards we can all eat drink and enjoy each other's company"
Haldane" okay Sunday it is"
A" I sense this partnership makes you very happy. Elena means a lot to you doesn't she?"
H " and Nikos, also I'm hoping for profits from this venture"
A " there's something else isn't there? One day I hope you'll tell me"
Haldane knows it's not possible to tell Annika that he is Elena's father.
H " nothing to tell. I never had children, so this is the next best thing for me"
Babis Spiridakis visits Katerina on business, he is buying property on her behalf as her lawyer.
K " you know my daughter doesn't visit me anymore?"
B " I had heard, if there's anything I can do I will"
K " I hear also that Nikos has accepted the Englishman's offer of partnership"
B " yes, on Sunday at Annika's the papers will be signed"
K " I have decided to make Matheos Noukakis my manager at the brickworks"
B " I'm sure he'll do well. When does he start?"
K " soon, after he has done a job for me, very soon I hope"
Katerina expects Matheos to kill Leandros soon!

The next day Leandros opening his mail, comes across a worrying letter, it says just two words ' for Charon', and two coins in the envelope as well. He goes into nearby Araklion to the office of Major Michael Krasakis.
H " got this in the post this morning"
Kr " for Charon, you know who Charon is?"
H " he was the ferryman wasn't he?"
Kr " and still is for some. The ferryman who carries the souls of the dead across the river Styx and into the Underworld. For that he must be paid, two coins are placed on the eyes of the deceased when buried. Someone has given you a warning Leandros, someone wants you dead."

michaellevenson

While Babis is laying out all the documents for the signing in Annika's house, and Annika prepares the food for afterwards, Leandros is outside kicking a football around with Alexis, Elena's son, his secret grandson.
Elena is there,
E " you know Leandros I never knew my father, he died when I was five but I have been thinking of him for some reason lately , I hope he would have approved of our partnership. You Leandros are about the same age as he would have been"
H " a few years younger"
E " of course you knew him, you fought with him in the Andartes. Anyway I feel Leandros a special place in my heart for you, like a father"
Annika " come on in Elena Leandros ,Alexis all is ready"
The signing takes place, then food ,champagne and joy.
Outside creeping toward Leandros car is Matheos. As carefully and quietly as possible he lifts the hood and takes out some cutters and gets to work.
Later Nikos,Elena and Alexis leave, Leandros walks them to their car.
H " Nikos we need a good architect to carry out the structural changes to the taverna we envisage needing"
N " I have someone in mind Leandros"
Elena " goodbye Leandros thanks for everything..I hope you don't mind but we've decided to rename the taverna after my mother, The Taverna Malina"
H " er.. no it's perfect"
Nikos tries to start his car, but it won't start.
images (7).jpegimages (8).jpeg
Inside the house Annika is clearing away the dinner table.
Babis " well Leandros you have a family"
H " by adoption yes"
B " will that satisfy you?"
H " it'll have to Babis. The truth can't come out"
Annika comes back in,
A " it's been a perfect day, just perfect"
H " not quite, Nikos car wouldn't start. He's going to send a mechanic here tomorrow to fetch it"
A " how are they getting home?"
H " I've lent them mine"
Nikos is driving Leandros car down the treacherous winding steep road, Elena and Alexis in the back. There's no brakes!!
Nikos is struggling to control the speeding car, when it swerves off the road, and plunges 100 feet down a ravine, landing on its roof, all three of them still inside.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

8. The Daughters Of Themis
Nikos is driving Leandros car, Elena and Alexis are in the back. The car has no brakes, the result of sabotage by Matheos Noukakis. The car plunges off the road and down a ravine.
Later....police and ambulance are on the scene. Major Krasakis arrives bringing Annika, Leandros and Babis. The bodies of Nikos and Alexis are on stretchers. Leandros runs to the upturned car screaming ,
H " ELENA! ELENA! "
He desperately tries to reach her, her body still in the car. He is holding onto her hand crying, screaming with grief. Krasakis gently pulls him away.
Kr " it's no good Leandros. Can you not see that? They are all dead"
crash9.jpg
In Katerina Matakis villa, Matheos is confident Leandros is dead, or soon will be.
M " he will not return to Alunda alive. Now, our bargain, your son's inheritance and the job at your brickworks is mine"
K " when I have confirmation of what you say"
The doorbell rings.
M" here maybe is your confirmation. Remember I'm here to discuss a job with you, nothing more"
Matheos leaves to answer the door. Katerina stares at a carving over the door of her drawing room leading into the hallway. The carving is in plaster mould and depicts a female goddess.
K " oh Themis, goddess of justice. It is done, I Katerina Matakis am the instigator of your will"
Babis and Annika enter, Matheos stays by the door.
A " I bring bad news mother. An accident happened near my home"
K " accident?"
A " Leandros's car left the road and fell 100 feet"
K " and the Englishman is dead, that is what you tell me?"
Annika collapses in tears, Babis says,
B " no Katerina, Nikos was driving, his car wouldn't start, he borrowed Leandros car. Elena and Alexis were in the car. All three are dead"
K." No! Elena , Alexis Nikos HOW?! ( to the carving) Themis what trick is this? ( to Matheos) What have you done? Noukakis,...Matheos Noukakis I curse you..I ...I. .."
Katerina collapses in her chair.
Babis " I'll get a doctor"
Matheos unsurprisingly scarpers pronto.

michaellevenson

Major Krasakis is with Babis in his office.
K " Mr Spiridakis I have just spoken to my people on the phone. Leandros car has been examined, and the brakes were crudely but effectively sabotaged. I have a firm belief that Matheos Noukskis is involved and tried to kill Leandros. He has disappeared from his house and has been spotted with his brother Yannis heading to the mountains, armed. Also I found this, a letter signed by Katerina Matakis, a pact between them to kill Leandros"
B " Katerina has had a stroke, she is gravely ill. The doctor doesn't know if she'll survive"
K " then maybe when she faces God she will find mercy"
The two of them go to Leandros house to tell him.
major.jpg
Haldane" but why Major?"
K " he is jealous of you. But the real reason for all this lies with Katerina Matakis and the past , of that I'm sure. It is often the case that in life we sow the seeds of tragedy. That plant may take many years to grow and more years to blossom its bitter fruit "
Katerina is in bed, staring straight ahead, eyes blinking, but no other movement. The doctor says to Annika,
D " she can see and hear, but that is all, total paralysis. She will remain like that until she dies"
A " how long doctor?"
D " I cant say. Days, weeks, months, a year at most. I'm sorry".
mqdefault.jpg

Annika goes down stairs to the drawing room. Putting away some sheets of writing paper left on the bureau, she notices a small strong box hidden in the drawer..a key is located in another drawer. Puzzled she opens the box and takes out three envelopes, letters sent from England from Leandros in 1944 to her sister Malina.

Annika shows them to Babis in his office in town.
A " you knew about them?"
B " yes, when Leandros came back to Crete he told me he wrote them, but I could not tell him why Malina never received them. Now I know. Your mother intercepted them"
A " did Malina love Leandros?"
B " yes, and he loved her. Now you know why Elena meant so much to him. But Annika there's other things you must know, about your mother"
Almost dark and Babis meets Leandros at the bottom of the mountains. He hands him a rifle.
H " thanks Babis. I'm going alone this is my vendetta"
matheos12.jpg
B " remember Matheos has his brother with him, he is a wild one. Take care."
Up in the mountains a shot is heard. Matheos and his brother stand over a man they've just shot in cold blood.
Later Babis is with the villagers, all are armed at the foot of the mountains. The legendary wartime Andartes are together again with a job to do.
Babis" news has come through that our comrade Yorges Kalaris has been murdered by the Noukakis brothers. It is now our vendetta too. We will go into the mountains to help Leandros"
Police vehicles turn up,out steps Major Krasakis.
K " I can't let you take the law into your own hands. Don't force me to go against you Babis. You of all people must know if I allow mob rule then anarchy will surely follow"
B " the Noukakis brothers are near Hellion"
K " yes I know, you are not the only ones with eyes and ears all over Crete, how do you think I knew of this gathering. Thank you for telling me anyway"
B " can we go with you Major?"
K " okay, but under my command is that clear?"
images (9).jpeg
images (6).jpeg
All head off into the mountains.
More shots are heard. Matheos has spotted Leandros and is taking shots. Leandros dives for cover and fires back.
Another shot, Leandros is hit and falls. Matheos and his brother stand over him ready to finish him off. A shot rings out, Matheos falls, Major krasakis to the rescue.
Later both Leandros and Matheos are carried down on stretchers , Yannis arrested.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Annika is upstairs in her mother's bedroom. Katerina paralyzed in bed.
321AvSvuLOoHgJ8TGR2taLAUQCr.jpg
Annika opens her handbag and takes out the letters ,crunches them into a ball and hurls them at Katerina. She rips into her mother, shouting and SCREAMING
Annika " I should love you but I can't. I should pity you but I can't. PEOPLE HAVE DIED BECAUSE OF YOU, INCLUDING YOUR OWN GRANDDAUGHTER AND GREAT GRANDSON , YOU'RE A MURDERESS. Okay your hand was not the one that took their lives ,BUT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.
You kept those letters from Malina, not out of love for her, but out of hatred for the Englishman she loved. YOU DID HER A GREAT HARM. LEANDROS DIDN'T DISHONOUR HER. YOU DID!!
And why? WHY ANY OF IT? BECAUSE OF YOUR BIGOTRY AND HATRED OF ALL THINGS FOREIGN. You caused so much unhappiness, AND YOU KNEW THAT!
It was your guilty secret that you bore for thirty years. YOU ROBBED MALINA OF THE HAPPINESS SHE WANTED. YOU EVIL TWISTED WOMAN. When Leandros returned to Crete and you saw I loved him as Malina had done, this you could not bear You knew if you told me the truth I would turn against you and rightly so. So you twisted your guilt into a cloak to place on Leandros shoulders, HIS PUNISHMENT TO BE YOUR ABSOLUTION.. You also did Elena a great wrong. She longed for a father. YOU KNEW THAT AND SAID NOTHING. Well mother how do you enjoy your handiwork now, what is your burden of guilt like?"

Annika has had a framed photo in her hand during this tirade which she got from the drawing room. A photo of Alexis, Nikos and Elena smiling in pose.
A" you have lost the love of your son mother, and now me, you will never see me again. AND I TAKE FROM THIS HOUSE MY INHERITANCE.HATRED HATRED OF YOU! AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT. FOR AM I NOT YOUR DAUGHTER? LOOK AT THESE SMILING FACES ELENA NIKOS ALEXIS.And you must look at them mother, for you cannot move. LOOK AT THEM EVERY DAY AND PRAY YOU DIE SOON! AND THEN YOU WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN A STENCH IN THE NOSTRILS OF GOD!! REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU STAND BEFORE HIM"
Annika in an act of cruelty puts the picture on the cupboard opposite the bed in such a way as to be in Katerina's line of sight, she then leaves the room. A minute or so later she returns with the nurse.
A " this picture, leave it here always, in this precise position, so my mother can see it. It brings her such comfort!!"
At the hospital Leandros is recovering, Annika at the bedside holding his hand.
A " it's okay Leandros I know everything. But that is the past, the future is about us, our happiness, together for always"
annika5.jpg
The two of them visit the grave of Malina to pay their respects, then out at sea on Leandros's boat, ready to begin their new life.
MV5BNTk2Y2Q4NGItMGU1OC00NDBkLTlkZDktZTFhY2U0MmJjYjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4NzkyNDg1._V1_.jpg
THE END

Last edited: