Review Wing Chun

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
For Monday's Review--how about the classic wuxia action-comedy Wing Chun?

Wing Chun
(1994)
Directed by Woo-ping Yuen
Starring Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen
In Cantonese with English subtitles (English dubbed version also available)
Film: 5 stars (out of 5)

I rented Wing Chun on VHS back in the day, after watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I was impressed with Michelle Yeoh and the whole wuxia/martial arts fantasy genre. I'm glad I did because this is one of my favorites.

In addition to Michelle Yeoh (who plays the Wing Chun character), the movie stars Donnie Yen (Iron Monkey; Hero) as well as Waise Lee, Norman Chu, King-Tan Yuen, and Catherine Hung Yan. Pei-pei Chang has a cameo.

The story is light and comic. Much of the plot will seem familiar to those who have seen a number of Shakespearian comedies--girl dressed as guy, mistaken identities, love triangles, suitors sneaking in and out of bedrooms just in the nick of time, plays on words, sexual innuendo, etc. You've even got a literal den of thieves with comically bumbling ne'er-do-wells.

The "plot" as it were is an excuse to hold the story together for the fight scenes. The martial arts in the movie are not brutal death-matches, but of the spin-through-the-air, prop-using, wonderfully choreographed, skilled ballets that are indicative of the film's action choreographer Woo-ping Yuen (who also choreographed The Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Kill Bill, and many more). Donnie Yen contributed a lot to the choreography and action directing also.

And what great fight scenes they are! There are at least 8 or 9, so you certainly get your money's worth. They are so much fun to watch. Michelle is simply wonderful, especially in the last third of the movie when she stops dressing in men's clothes and goes into cute and perky mode. All people involved in the action scenes obviously have tremendous skills.

Perhaps the most famous scene from the film is one where one of the local bandits has come to challenge Wing Chun in her place of business (a tofu store). No problem, says Wing Chun. All you have to do is smash this pan of tofu sitting on the table and you will be the winner.

How hard could that be, right? Well, it's damn nigh impossible when what prevents you from putting your fist into a plate of tofu is Michelle Yeoh and all her skills. An amazingly choreographed scene that brings big smiles all around. Michelle's facial expressions are priceless as she goads the hapless bandit into just "one more try" before slamming him back to the ground yet again.

Anyone remotely interested in martial arts romantic comedies should rush to pick this film up. If DVD is your thing, I highly recommend the R2 PAL version, but if that does not work for you, try to find the Tai Seng R1 (actually R0 I think) DVD. Or at least the R0 from Hong Kong.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Very little chance this will make it to my watchlist but gosh darnit I enjoyed the review, probably more than I would the film. But one never knows. I like Michelle. Have you gotten closer to Wanee & Junah? Wanna make a date to re-watch it together?

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Re: Wing Chun. Yeah, if you are not a fan of the genre, It would probably seem pretty cheesy. But I'm a huge fan so what can I say? It's just a FUN movie.

Here's the "tofu scene" clip (it's short--less than 3 minutes). Anyone who doesn't crack a smile I would suggest skipping the rest of the movie.

Re: Wanne and Junah. How about I re-watch it within the next week or so and post my review on Monday 8/21? You could then add your thoughts to my review thread.

Last edited: