Review Wonder Woman (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
But no post credits scene

The upcoming “Wonder Woman” is scoring strong early reaction, but full reviews and details aren’t due out for another week or so.

One thing that can be confirmed at this point though – don’t expect an end credits stinger. The film’s producer Charles Roven was asked this week if there will be one on the movie. He confirmed there isn’t and explains why:

“I’m not going to say we’d never do one. … There was one in Suicide Squad. But I don’t think that we want to feel that we’re forced to do something just because we didn’t in the past.”

The comments come as several new clips (above) have been released, as has a rather cool poster involving Diana lifting a tank. “Wonder Woman” opens in cinemas on June 2nd.

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Has No Deleted Scenes

wonder-woman-has-no-deleted-scenes-696x464.jpg

Don’t expect a director’s cut of Patty Jenkin’s’ “Wonder Woman” when it comes to home video. In fact don’t expect to see any deleted scenes at all because, according to Jenkins, there aren’t any. Not one.

Speaking during the junket for the DC Universe film, Jenkins revealed that the only changes between her first cut and the theatrical cut were some tightening of individual scenes rather than structural changes like extracting sequences:

“You know, it’s not like a long journey didn’t happen but what amazes me is how little has actually changed from the first cut other than tightening. Little changes to the final battle, that was really it.

I think that what I ended up finding about the final battle was I was hitting emotional points for Diana that I really wanted to hit but I felt a craving for some other kinds of emotional gratification and engagement that we tried to accentuate even more.

I think what you learn is rhythm, tone, humor where the jokes are happening but in our case, I just now can finally say all this. We didn’t cut one scene in this movie nor did we change the order of one scene in this movie from the script that we went in shooting with… We’ve got the DVD now, they keep wanting to put cut scenes and there aren’t any.”

She does say the one major change was the “walk to No Man’s Land” scene which they reshot but otherwise kept intact – it’s just a different version of the same sequence.

In related news, some gorgeous concept art from the film has gone up at EW courtesy of production designer Aline Bonetto who is especially proud of Doctor Poison’s laboratory: “You have to give the feeling that every tool, every bottle, is something on the way to create something more dangerous. You can only go further and further. They had to push me out of this set.”

“Wonder Woman” opens in cinemas on June 2nd.

Doctor Omega

Gadot, Jenkins On “Wonder” Sequel Possibilities

Wonder-Woman-poster-preview.jpg

The world premiere of “Wonder Woman” took place last night at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. The film’s director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot were on hand to greet fans, photographers and more on the red carpet – including giving some brief interviews.

The pair spoke with Heat Vision about the early reaction and the prospect of a sequel. In terms of what era they’d like to explore with the character next, Gadot says: “She’s 3,000! So it’s hard to just pick one, but I would love to explore the early years of her in man’s world.”

Separately, Jenkins was asked the same question by Uproxx who asked if the next one might explore contemporary times or the 1930s to which she responded: “I’m definitely planning something more interesting using that period of time. Definitely, it’s the plan. I can’t say what it is! But it’s definitely right in the pocket of what you’re talking about.”

Jenkins was asked if fan response might influence her direction with a sequel to which she said: “I think you need to have a strong vision of your own. We had a bunch of fan screenings yesterday and they named their favorite scenes, and every single one named different scenes.”

Original 1970s “Wonder Woman” TV star Lynda Carter was on hand, posing for fans and with Gadot in some photos. “Wonder Woman” opens June 2nd.

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Heads For $175M Global Bow

wonder-woman-heads-for-175m-global-bow-696x464.jpg

Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” is heading towards a global opening weekend of $175 million according to estimates. The film is currently on track to open to $65-75 million Stateside, and over $100 million overseas.

Those latest estimates don’t take into account the critics reviews which have been unleashed and are racking up incredible scores with a 95% & 7.6/10 on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 76/100 on Metacritic. That makes it easily one of the best-reviewed superhero films to date.

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Banned In Lebanon

wonder-woman-banned-in-lebanon-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Wonder Woman” film has been officially banned in Lebanon shortly before the film was scheduled to screen in the country’s cinemas.

The ban was prompted by a Lebanese group called Campaign to Boycott Supporters of Israel-Lebanon over the film’s star Gal Gadot, the Israeli actress who plays Diana Prince.

Lebanon is officially at war with Israel and has a law that boycotts Israeli products and bars Lebanese citizens from traveling or having contact with Israelis.

Lebanon exhibitor Grand Cinemas announced the ban was official on its Twitter feed this morning, but the film was only set to play in just fifteen locations in the territory.

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Box-Office Estimates Jump

wonder-woman-box-office-estimates-jump-696x464.jpg

Prerelease tracking figures have shown that Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” is looking to score a bigger domestic debut than first anticipated, helped in part by stellar reviews.

Warners remains steadfast in their studio estimates of a $65-70 million opening weekend, but THR says independent figures are estimating a North American debut of $95 million or more, along with over $100 million internationally.

The $150 million-budget movie opened to $6.3 million in a handful of Asian markets on Tuesday and Wednesday, excluding China, and scored among the best starts ever for a Warner Bros. release.

DreamWorks Animation’s “Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie” also opens this weekend and is tracking to score $25 million, a very good amount for a $38 million budget feature.

Doctor Omega

The Best “Wonder Woman” Scene Was Almost Cut

the-best-wonder-woman-scene-was-nearly-cut-696x464.jpg

Though the overall film has been raved about, there’s one particular sequence in this week’s “Wonder Woman” that transcends the rest of the film – Diana’s walk across No Man’s Land.

It’s a hugely important scene thematically, symbolically and story-wise as, having seen all the suffering around her, she makes a stand and says ‘no more’ as she presses forward into a hail of bullets – one painful step at a time.

People have raved about the scene, but according to director Patty Jenkins, it was a real fight to keep that scene in the film. Why? Because it’s a moment of self-affirmation and thus doesn’t fit the tired “heroes vs villains” trope. Jenkins says.

“It’s my favorite scene in the movie and it’s the most important scene in the movie. It’s also the scene that made the least sense to other people going in, which is why it’s a wonderful victory for me.

I think that in superhero movies, they fight other people, they fight villains. So when I started to really hunker in on the significance of No Man’s Land, there were a couple [of] people who were deeply confused, wondering, ‘Well, what is she going to do? How many bullets can she fight?’ And I kept saying, ‘It’s not about that. This is a different scene than that. This is a scene about her becoming Wonder Woman.'”

In a separate interview, producer Charles Roven talked about the screenplay and explained how both Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns actually did most of the work on the final film’s script but because of writer’s guild rules, the screenplay credits went to a bunch of other guys like Zack Snyder and Jason Fuchs who ultimately had little input in the final script:

“Really early on, before Patty came on the project, we put our toe in the water with two writers. They took completely different approaches to the material – one was the Crimean War and one was World War I, but a completely different World War I experience. We had quite a Writers Guild arbitration with a number of writers because we had a lot of writers, and then there were the preceding writers and the other incarnations of the development of ‘Wonder Woman.’

But for our ‘Wonder Woman, ‘ we didn’t like the ultimate take on those scripts, even though they’re talented guys, and Zack [Snyder] and Allan Heinberg then collaborated on a story. We had a different director on at that time, and that director — which was OK’d by the studio — brought a number of writers on. We had more writers working with — everybody had knowledge because you can’t do it with the Writers Guild without telling everybody what you’re doing and everybody has to be OK— but we had more writers working at the same time than I’ve ever done. In the history of all the movies that I’ve done, it never worked out that way before.

While there are things that most of [the other writers] contributed that are in the script, there wasn’t anybody who ended up making such a contribution that they were able to get a credit. A guy by the name of Jason Fuchs got the third position in the ‘Story By’ so it’s Zack Snyder, Allan Heinberg, and Jason Fuchs, but Allan Heinberg got the full screenplay credit.

Even though after he wasn’t able to finish working — he had to go back to the TV series that he was working on — [DC Films head] Geoff Johns and Patty did a tremendous amount of collaboration. But again based on the rules they weren’t allowed to get any credit, but they did a lot of writing that stuck. So that’s the long-winded version of the answer being that we had a basic arc of a story, but scene to scene it really came together when Patty got involved.”

Roven adds that the whole fish out of water comedy and Diana’s naivete due to living such a sheltered life on Themyscira, those are all elements that began with Jenkins.

“Wonder Woman” is out in cinemas now.

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Scores $11M In Previews

wonder-woman-scores-11m-in-previews-696x464.jpg

The “Wonder Woman” film is off to a robust start at the box-office with the Patty Jenkins-helmed tale scoring $11 million in Thursday previews.

The marks the best preview night ever at the domestic box office for a movie directed by a woman. However, that’s lower than the previous DCEU movies which have raked in between $20-27 million in Thursday night previews ahead of opening weekend hauls in the $128-166 million range.

However that charts above Thursday preview nights for Marvel origin films like “Doctor Strange” ($9.4m), “Ant-Man” ($6.4m), “Captain America: The First Avenger” ($4m) and “Thor” ($3.2m). It’s actually equal with “Guardians of the Galaxy” ($11.2m) which went on to an opening weekend of $94 million.

Where things go from here will be interesting. If it holds to previous DC films, it’s on track for a debut weekend in the $60-80 million range. If, thanks to great reviews, it behaves more like a Marvel film then expect that number to go up.

Doctor Omega

Wonder Woman 2 Confirmed: Also Modern Day Setting Confirmed....

DC Comic's newest film, "Wonder Woman" dominated the box for it's Thursday opening night. Domestically, the film brought in $11 million dollars for it's opening night. It's just been announced that director Patty Jenkins will return to the world of Wonder Woman to helm it's sequel. Unlike the origin movie, it looks like the second film will feature a contemporary setting. In a recent interview, Jenkins commented on making another movie and clarified that she's not in this to make big, massive budget movies. She shared that the cost doesn't matter, but that she strives to make great movies.