Fun Your Favourite Books & Authors!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR by George Orwell.

Had to read it for O level and ended up loving the book to bits, despite the grim subject matter.

And more important a read than ever, as time goes by, it seems. :(

I already knew of the tv play version starring Peter Cushing, so this helped me get into the book, being a fan of his at the time.

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Two or three...

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare)
The Chocolate War (Robert Cormier)
To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

All three were for eighth grade English...

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Kruistocht in spijkerbroek (Thea Beckman)

Het Achterhuis (Anne Frank)

De Amulet (Simone van der Vlugt)

These are Dutch books, but the first two are also translated to english. The last one wasn't (all have a clickable link though). I had to read these in School and genuinly ended up loving them and books like that made me read so much that I have no idea how much I've read in 30 something years. When I was still in school I read over a thousand books easily.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR by George Orwell.

Had to read it for O level and ended up loving the book to bits, despite the grim subject matter.

And more important a read than ever, as time goes by, it seems. :(

I already knew of the tv play version starring Peter Cushing, so this helped me get into the book, being a fan of his at the time.
ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell. However, I enjoyed the book thoroughly and I love NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR even more. In fact, the second one is probably my second favourite novel overall.

THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS by John Wyndham. I came back to it years after I left school and it is now my favourite novel overall.

Doctor Omega

I keep meaning to reread Triffids.

I also ended up reading Animal Farm during my teens as I was playing Moses the Raven in an amateur theatre production of it at the time, so had a double dose of Orwell at about the same time! Loved Nineteen Eighty Four more, but like both books. I have not read any others of his as of yet.

Doctor Omega

I also had to read Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household and ended up enjoying that as well.

I just found it a well written, fast paced book.

I will have to reread it again!

Last edited:

ant-mac

I keep meaning to reread Triffids.

I also ended up reading Animal Farm during my teens as I was playing Moses the Raven in an amateur theatre production of it at the time, so had a double dose of Orwell at about the same time! Loved Nineteen Eighty Four more, but like both books. I have not read any others of his as of yet.
I enjoy all of John Wyndham's work.

I also especially enjoy Arthur C Clarke's work. There are few subjects more attractive to me than intelligent science fiction.

Sunflower007

best-classic-novels-620x360.jpg

:D~ I was just wondering who is everyone's top favorite authors. Mine top favorites that come to mind are:
  • Stephen King
  • Anne Rice
  • Paulo Coelho
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • Emily Bronte
  • Jane Austin
  • Edgar Allen Poe
  • Dean Koontz
  • L.M. Montgomery

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Ask me if I need him

Get him out of my way
These are
These are the games
These are the games
These are the only games I play"

By: Falsettos

Last edited by a moderator:

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
I'm quite old-school ^^
  • Alexandre Dumas (no one beats him in entertaining readers by history)
  • Saint Exupéry
  • Victor Hugo (though I only like Les Miserables from him, that book is enough)
  • JRR Tolkien
  • Jane Austen
  • Henryk Sienkiewicz
  • Edgar Allan Poe

Liburnius

Member: Rank 1
Just a few that immediately come to mind, although I may come up with more:

B. Traven (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and The Death Ship novels)
Bernard Cornwell (Richard Sharpe Napoleonic-set historical fiction series)
Ian Hughes (Not fiction, but writes history books about the late Roman Empire)
Joe Millard (Wrote book versions based on Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy" of The Man With No Name, as portrayed by Clint Eastwood)

Sunflower007

Edgar Allan Poe
H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
J.K. Rowling
Richard Matheson
Harlan Ellison
Ray Bradbury
George Orwell
Dalton Trumbo
Timothy Zahn
Anne Rice
:)~ I luv many of those authors you mentioned. As well as other posts.

*~ :emoji_rosette:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Ask me if I need him

Get him out of my way
These are
These are the games
These are the games

These are the only games I play"

By: Falsettos

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I wasn't forced a lot of books, most of the time you could choose your own, but for english I was forced to read Animal Farm and The Time Machine, and I loved both of them.

ant-mac

I wasn't forced a lot of books, most of the time you could choose your own, but for english I was forced to read Animal Farm and The Time Machine, and I loved both of them.
I've read ANIMAL FARM a couple of times, but I've never read THE TIME MACHINE - only THE WAR OF THE WORLDS.