Fun The STAR WARS Franchise

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Herd your nerf to higher ground then crack open the first of many beers! Have a good one.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

With Disney owning both Marvel and Lucasfilm, it only makes sense that Marvel would take over publishing duties on the comic books. With the last few decades worth of stories being relegated to Legends, the new batch of comics are all now canon, and will coincide with the movies and TV series. Today I bought the first trade collection of the Darth Vader comic, and damn! This book is great. I won't spoil it, but the artwork is incredible, and the story is captivating. I think I'm going to have to spend some money and get more of the new batch of Marvel Star Wars books.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
the new batch of comics are all now canon
I prefer it when they keep the movies and other media canons separate. By trying to tie everything into the one canon you create too many headaches for future creators (because its simply impossible to keep up with everything written). You end up with contradictory material and eventually have to declare entire swathes of material "non-canon". Better to keep things separate and let readers/viewers determine their own canon.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Mace Windu Gets His Own Comic Book Series

mqvipteud6olch1eperu.png

Announced on the “Star Wars” official site this morning, Marvel Comics is set to give Samuel L. Jackson’s prequel character Mace Windu his own comic mini-series.

The five-part series will be set in the earliest days of the Clone Wars, and follows Mace as he leads a small unit of Jedi Knights onto the front lines.

At the same time he must reconcile being a guardian of peace who, along with the fellow members of his pacifist order, suddenly find themselves in the new role of being soldiers and generals or be lost to the violence around them.

Matt Owens is penning the series with art from Denys Cowan and the promise is of a massive amount of action. The series kicks off in August.

Source: StarWars.com

chainsaw_metal1

There are a lot of the Dark Horse comics that were really great (now considered Legend instead of Canon). There are a couple of Maul books that were good reads. Timothy Zahn did a book about Luke and Mara Jade that is worth reading. The Infinities books took each of the movies of the original trilogy and changed a pivotal moment and changed how the story would have turned out (the one I remember the best was in Empire, Luke dies on Hoth and hands his lightsaber to Han, telling him he has to travel to Dagobah). There were several Vader-centric books that were fun reads. As far as the new Marvel books, I've only read the first collection of the Darth Vader series, and it's fantastic! It starts with Vader being punished by the Emperor for his part in the destruction of the Death Star, and I can say no more about it without spoiling the story. Just read it!

chainsaw_metal1

It's one book I still haven't read, nor have I read the comic adaptation. I have, however, watched several of the videos that talk about the plot and story, and I'm quite glad that this was not the follow up, and we instead got Empire. This story isn't terrible, and has some good ideas, but over all, it's not one of the better Star Wars stories out there.

Doctor Omega

Star-Wars-saga-1-6.png

Looks like everyone is getting a spin off movie these days.......

When is enough enough?

Are Disney going to kill the franchise with their greed?

Or is it a case of the more the merrier?

Han Solo will be the second spinoff film and we now know that the long-awaited Obi-Wan film is gearing up to be the third “Star Wars Story“.

The reports about the Obi-Wan spinoff movie have brought with them updates on some of the other spinoffs that Lucasfilm has in early, earlydevelopment right now.

The list includes Boba Fett and Yoda solo films, as well as a movie about Jabba, it would seem.

Is all of this a good thing or a bad thing?

Doctor Omega

Star Trek Vs Star Wars Debate Ends In Assault Arrest

g9jzsjlj1qwr8trquxaz.jpg

With some, the Force is strong. With others, the goal is to live long and prosper. When these two types of people meet it ends in... an assault charge?

A pair of possible roommates -- or, at least, former friends -- had a battle for the ages according to an Oklahoma City Police Department report. Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was arrested for assaulting Burke Bradley Warren, 19, for having opposing views on which title was superior between Star Wars and Star Trek.

Here's what the official police report has to say about the situation...

"The victim and another male inside the living facility later identified as AR were in the living room. While in the living area, the AR and victim started to argue about whether Star Wars or Star Trek was a better movie. During the argument, the victim became so frustrated that he went back to his room and stated, "You're just a trick," to the AR. The AR didn't appreciate that comment and followed the victim into his room. He physically shoved the victim down to the ground. After the victim was shoved to the ground, he got up and said, 'You wanna replay that?' and the AR once again shoved the victim to the ground. Once the victim was shoved, this time the AR began to choke the victim. The AR used his left arm to wrap around the victim's neck. Due to the impact, both the AR and victim fell to the ground. Once both of them were on the ground, the AR started to apply pressure and choke out the victim. The AR was successful and the victim went in and out of consciousness. The victim stated to me his vision started to get hazy due to him being strangled. At this point, the victim was fearing for his life and he reached for a pocket knife on his night stand. He opened the knife and told the AR to back up because he would defend himself. During some point of this, the AR reached for the victim's knife and somehow cut his hand. After the AR cut his hand, he got off of the AR and walked out of his room."

The office concludes, "Based on my investigation, I was able to conclude that the AR was the aggressor in this altercation."

Still, there is no word which side of the fight was representing Star Wars or which side was rooting for Star Trek. Luckily, photographs were taken by Lt. Wright and the department will be able to get to the bottom of the situation.

chainsaw_metal1

I'm all for more movies. I have spent many years not only watching the movies, but reading the books, comics, playing video games, and fully immersing myself in the SW Universe. I don't want to see the Disney direct-to-video movies like they've done with their own franchises, but I have no problem whatsoever having more movies.

However, a Jabba movie? Seriously?

Doctor Omega

Jabba the Hutt Spin-Off Being Considered

jabba-the-hutt-spin-off-being-considered-696x464.jpg

Just a few days after it was confirmed that an Obi-Wan Kenobi “A Star Wars Story” spin-off is in the works, a report in Variety indicates a film about Jabba the Hutt is currently in development at Lucasfilm.

No further details were in the trade report, beyond mention of the long rumored Boba Fett film as well. The giant intergalactic slug crook Jabba is the wealthiest gangster in many parsecs and surrounds himself by some of the most dangerous scum in the universe.

What form such a film will take is unclear. We already saw Jabba’s demise in “Return of the Jedi” so any film, like the Han Solo spin-off, would have to be about the character’s younger days and Jabba Desilijic Tiure’s establishment of his criminal empire.

With the exception of Stephen Daldry’s Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, official plans for the franchise beyond Colin Trevorrow’s “Star Wars: Episode IX” also remain unclear at this point.

chainsaw_metal1

My thoughts, if I may:
  1. I love gangster films.
  2. Jabba the Hutt isn't an interesting enough character to make a full movie about.
  3. This is a stupid idea.
  4. I really want ice cream right now - this has no bearing on the conversation, I just really want ice cream.