Review Kun and Chun, Chun and Kun

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Big Fish & Begonia (China, 2016)

I’ve practically forgotten that China still exists in the map so I decided to get back to it by picking a medium that I will more-likely-than-not like: animation.

And after watching this, yes, China still exists in the map! And if in time their good ‘ole martial arts flicks fail us (I still have to work it out on the romance genre), China should consider investing more on animation because it has very big potential! You know, if it weren’t for the language spoken, I would have thought this was Japanese animation (not necessarily Ghibli).

The movie has a very powerful soundtrack and a very powerful story that will melt the hearts of the young and the young-at-heart. Yes I cried on this because animated films really succeed in outing the tears from my eyes. yipee.gif

The movie’s story revolves on Chun, a girl from the outside (???) world. They’re not humans, but are not gods either. Demi-gods? Probably, because they live in a magical world and they watch us humans from up above. On her 16th birthday, probably some sort of field trip (they call it Rite of Passage) they are sent in the human world in the form of dolphins for several days. While she was here, she made a nice encounter with a human boy named Kun. One day, when Chun was about to be sent back to her world, she was trapped in a net which risked her life and Kun risked his own life to save her (in the dolphin state). I fail on the storytelling department so just bear with me if my summary doesn’t sound enticing. lol Feeling guilty and attached (the movie wasn’t too straight although it alluded more to a romantic attachment rather than platonic), she traded half of her life so that Kun may be resurrected. Kun starts as a small dolphin, with Chun caring for him, until he grows up to be a very big dolphin. Until then he was allowed to go back to the human world. All these time Chun exhibited all acts of love for Kun. Even despite being condemned by the community, Chun made sure Kun will safely get back to the human world. And all these time there’s the other guy (yeah I think it was a love story after all???) who would do everything, and I mean everything, even giving up his own life for Chun. His name is Qiu, and he played a very big role on how the movie attained a happy ending.

As I previously mentioned, the context on which the attachment of Chun to Kun and Qiu to Chun is hard to decipher. Well, scratch that, its not that hard. Or if the fact that this is from China contributes to it? All that’s settled is Chun cared for Kun and Qiu cared for Chun and that there are a lot of sacrifices involved and that their love for each other made them do all those life-and-death decisions.

I really love the film. I don’t know if its because I missed watching animated films but I think the reviews and the high rating (and some awards/nominations) will confirm that this is a wonderful movie. It is wonderfully executed and it has a heart-warming story that will move the intrinsic parts of our soul. (Whatever that means lol)

It also has a very powerful dialogue and some anectodes that will fill one’s movie quotable quotes notebook.

Do you believe in miracles? Life is a journey that we have to wait for countless reincarnations before we get the privilege to enjoy it. And at the end of our short life, we will eventually lose everything. Therefore, you might just as well embolden yourself to love someone, to climb a mountain or to pursue a dream. There are many things I don’t understand, and there are many questions that carry no answers. But I do believe that the reason why the heavens bless us with lives is to let us make miracles.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

I didn't know China made cartoons :emoji_construction_worker:
Everything gets made at China. Never forget, "God made the world..............and the rest was made in China". lol

Seriously now, from what I read the makers of the film didn't get the funding they sought from Chinese movie companies so they solicited on their own through social media (something like GoFundMe probably) and that's how it took years for them to release this feature. I'm glad they were able to raise the funds.

plsletitrain

^Interesting! Chinese mythology really does cross borders. This is where that drama series "A Korean Odyssey" was based upon.

Thanks!