Thriller s01e01 Lady Killer

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
1.1 Lady Killer
At a hotel, we see a young man named Paul Tanner set his sights on a young woman . Learning the woman's hotel room, Paul gains entrance while she is out and learns that she is an American named Jenny Frith. Paul phones an unidentified person and tells of his plans to seduce Jenny for some suspicious reason. After striking up a conversation with her, Paul begins to lure her into a whirlwind romance which ends with him asking her to marry him. When she accepts, he takes her to what he tells her is his home by the sea. Finding it beautiful, Jenny is thrilled to be there, even though the location is very isolated and lonely. Jenny, who has no English friends other than Paul, seems disconnected from her past, and is now entirely immersed in Paul's world.
MV5BNzE1MWNlNmUtMTYwMy00MjQyLWIxNDUtY2Q4MWJjNWRjZDlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc3Mjc4NTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Things are not as they appear, however. Paul continues to make secret phone calls to someone, and Jenny becomes aware of it. When she surprises Paul by changing her hairstyle and putting on an evening gown and makeup, Paul becomes inexplicably furious, seriously hurting Jenny's feelings. Paul smooths it over by explaining that he does not prefer "sophisticated women", and that he loves Jenny for her simple look. A busybody cleaning lady is Jenny's only contact with anyone, and she learns from the cleaning woman that Paul does not own the house, as Jenny had thought. Paul admits this and tells her buying a house is something for two to do, and in the spring they'll look together for a house, one big enough for a family. Paul surprises Jenny with a dress he claims he's bought for her, but when he goes out again, Jenny is surprised when a man claiming to be a friend of Paul's arrives at the house.
MV5BM2EwNjAzZmEtYzA0My00ZTRmLTllYTQtMGY2YjdmZTgyYjZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwODI0Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX7...jpg
He identifies himself as Jack Hardisty and he asks Jenny if she's a relative of Paul's wife . Jenny is confused until Jack explains that Paul is married to a woman named Toni, whom he says Jenny resembles a great deal. After Jack leaves, Jenny searches through Paul's things and finds a photograph of Toni. She does indeed resemble Jenny, even to the dress Paul gave Jenny to wear.
MV5BZjIyYTgyM2MtMDFlYS00MGU2LTk2MzEtNzM1ZTMxYzVjMjkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwODI0Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX7...jpg
MV5BM2U3OTYwMjctZTM4Zi00ZjY3LWE2OTgtNTA2YTY3NDM4ZWFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwODI0Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX7...jpg
When Jenny confronts Paul with this, Paul explains that Toni is dead, a previous marriage that left him unhappy and that he'd just as soon forget. His attempt to get Jenny to resemble Toni was meant to give him closure and move on with his life in a happy manner. Jenny accepts this, but Jack Hardisty returns and asks to speak to Paul in private. Jack explains that he's figured out Paul's scheme, and he demands half of whatever profit Paul intends to collect. Paul reluctantly agrees and suggests they celebrate their renewed partnership with a drink. While pouring the drinks Paul unseen removes a sock, places the whisky decanter top inside it, and when Jack isn't looking smashes it down on his head. Jenny is asleep now and Paul drags the body to his car and goes to the clifftop throwing the body over edge. Paul then meets a woman in secret; it is Toni, Paul's real wife.
download.jpeg

They intend to pass Jenny off as Toni and murder her in order to collect Toni's life insurance policy. The scheme is laid out like clockwork; Paul sends Jenny away for the afternoon and then walks with Toni along the cliffs; when a neighbour is within sight of them, Toni pretends to faint. As expected the neighbour, an old man comes to the house to inquire how Mrs Tanner is, Paul tells the man that his wife is suffering from unexplained fainting attacks.
MV5BNDg5OGVhODktMDZmOS00ZGM0LTk5ZTktYmZhOTg0MmExZmE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwODI0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
Toni sees a doctor in town and pretends to suffer the same symptoms, thus establishing a medical record of the attacks. Toni tells Paul that she's terribly jealous of Jenny being able to live with Paul and sleep with him, but Paul tells her it will only be a short time before she's dead and they can run off together with the money. Finally the day arrives, but before Paul can make his move and push Jenny from the cliff, she nonchalantly reveals something that Paul did not know: Jenny is actually very wealthy, an heiress with a million dollars in the bank.
MV5BOGUyMmFhMTYtMTAxZi00MzE5LWI5OWMtZDJkOWViM2RiZTI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc0ODQ0NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This changes everything for Paul; Jenny's money is more than Toni's life insurance could ever yield. They go back to the house and Paul falls asleep, while Jenny receives a strange phone call: the doctor that Toni saw has phoned to tell "Mrs. Tanner" that he must reschedule her appointment. Jenny doesn't know what he's talking about, of course, and doesn't understand why the doctor tells her she's been suffering from blackouts.
But Paul is unaware that Jack Hardisty created his own "insurance policy": Jenny receives in the mail a cassette recorder with a tape of Jack's voice, explaining that if she has received the tape, that must mean he's dead and Paul killed him. He reveals the entire scheme to Jenny, including the fact that Paul has been telling the neighbours that Jenny suffers from blackouts.
Hardisty, " three years, that's how long they've been planning this. Toni is insured for a big sum, but Toni doesn't fancy dying yet. Thats where you come in, you look like the woman who took out that insurance plan three years ago, and who would guess Paul has two wives. You get the picture, Toni isn't going to die, you are."

Suddenly the doctor's phone call makes sense to her. Jenny becomes hysterical. She runs from the house to the cliff and hurls the cassette recorder over, rushing past Toni on the way. Toni has come to the house to see why Paul did not follow through with murdering Jenny.
Toni, " you obviously couldn't do it."
Paul, "listen , she has a million dollars of her own. I was about to push her....a million makes what we're after seem chicken feed. We'll have to rethink."
Toni, " how long?"
Paul, " a few months, maybe six, now get out of here."
Toni, " oh no we do what we agreed. I know what's in your mind Paul, ditch me and stick with her, it's written all over your face. Well I haven't got a million dollars but I have you and I'm not giving that up. Jenny is about to have one of her blackouts."

MV5BZTQ5ZTJhNDgtOWZhOC00YjlkLWExYTctOWE0NGZiMGY1Yzk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwODI0Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX7...jpg
Toni runs out, Paul chases after her and at the clifftop Toni attacks Jenny trying to push her over the edge. Paul intervenes and pulls Toni off, Tony pushes back at Paul who strikes Toni, and Toni falls to her death from the cliff as a neighbour looks on.

In the meantime, Jenny has rushed back to the house, and Paul returns as well. Knowing the neighbour will have sent for the police already, Paul tries to invent an explanation for what has just happened, but he can't change the fact that the neighbour saw him push Toni to her death.
Paul is desperate, " the old man saw everything, I saw him scuttling away, the police are probably on their way. I don't know how she found us, I should have had her committed years ago. She's MAD , not jealous, but MAD INSANE. To think she came close to destroying you. Because you're the only one I've ever loved."
Jenny is calmer, still tears down her face, but trying to breathe easier. Paul goes on as he grabs her shoulders kneeling beside her.
" You'll tell them what happened, how I tried to rescue you."
Jenny, " yes I'll tell them everything....Jack Hardisty everything."
Paul, " no not Jack Hardisty, what happened just now , it's all they'll be interested in."
Jenny, " just now?"
Paul, " yes on the cliifs."
Jenny, " I don't remember that."
Paul, " what d'you mean you don't remember, it just happened 5 minutes ago."
Jenny, " I remember nothing, I must have had a blackout ! If you check with my doctor you'll find I have a history of blackouts."
Paul realises she's turned the tables beautifully.
Paul, " if the old man tells his version without you to back me they'll hang a murder charge around my neck."
Jenny rises from the settee, " I remember NOTHING."
The doorbell rings, the police are here, Jenny calmly walks to door.
Paul ( sobbing), " JENNY....I NEED YOU
..JENNY...."
gettyimages-1153479920-612x612.jpg

MV5BNzJjY2JhZDItY2YzNS00MTFhLWJmN2ItZGY3NDNlMjIxMTA4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDQ3NTQwMg...jpg

Cast;
Paul.......Robert Powell
Jenny......Barbara Feldon
Toni......Linda Thorson
Hardisty...T.P. McKenna

Link to next episode can be found in all threads. Next episode,

Last edited: