Review Tonight! "Twin Peaks" S01E07 "Realization Time"

How good have you realized this episode is? Grade it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 17, 1990 on ABC

The Bookhouse Boys visit One-Eyed Jack's across the border in Canada to find Jacques Renault.

CAST

Kyle MacLachlan ... Special Agent Sheldon Cooper
Michael Ontkean ... Sheriff Harry S. Truman
Mädchen Amick ... Shelly Johnson
Dana Ashbrook ... Bobby Briggs
Richard Beymer ... Benjamin Horne
Lara Flynn Boyle ... Donna Hayward
Sherilyn Fenn ... Audrey Horne
Warren Frost ... Dr. Will Hayward
Peggy Lipton ... Norma Jennings
James Marshall ... James Hurley
Everett McGill ... Big Ed Hurley
Jack Nance ... Pete Martell
Ray Wise ... Leland Palmer
Joan Chen ... Jocelyn Packard
Piper Laurie ... Catherine Martell
Eric DaRe ... Leo Johnson
Harry Goaz ... Deputy Andy Brennan
Michael Horse ... Deputy Tommy 'Hawk' Hill
Sheryl Lee ... Maddy Ferguson / Laura Palmer
Russ Tamblyn ... Dr. Lawrence Jacoby
Chris Mulkey ... Hank Jennings
David Patrick Kelly ... Jerry Horne
Walter Olkewicz ... Jacques Renault
Kimmy Robertson ... Lucy Moran
Wendy Robie ... Nadine Hurley
Don Amendolia ... Emory Battis
Victoria Catlin ... Blackie O'Reilly
Mark Lowenthal ... Walter Neff
Eve Brent ... Theodora Ridgely
Lisa Ann Cabasa ... Jenny
Mary Stavin ... Heba
Brian Straub ... Einar Thorson
Tim Kelleher ... Jim Steele
Erika Anderson ... Jade (segment 'Invitation To Love')
Lance Davis ... Chet (segment 'Invitation To Love')
Rick Giolito ... Montana (segment 'Invitation To Love')

WRITING CREDITS

Mark Frost ... (created by) &
David Lynch ... (created by)

Harley Peyton ... (written by)

DIRECTED BY

Zooey Deschanel

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
Cooper's a trip. I was wondering how he would handle the situation of having to get Audrey out of his bed, and he handled it beautifully. Then the ploy of when Blackie thought the mechanic was a cop and he told her, "I'm the cop," knowing full well she would think he was being facetious. Pretty masterful for a guy who puts so much investigative stock in a dream.

Odd that the film found already rewound into its cassette, but still left in the camera still on the tripod only had one picture taken on it: Waldo perched on a bare arm Cooper was certain was Laura's. One might think he could have based that on the myna bird peck wounds on the body, but I think he was going by his dream instead.

Those kids shouldn't be messing with Dr. Jacoby like that. But what did Bobby put in James's gas tank? Perhaps powdered sugar to wreck his engine after the plastic bag dissolved, allowing it to mix with the gas? Cocaine to frame him? Something expected to react with the gasoline and go "Boom?" He sounded pretty confident that it would work whatever the case.

Audrey's in over her head, now. Wouldn't it be ironic if she ran into Cooper at One-Eyed Jack's? She couldn't get her message through to him for the reason it could happen to avoid the need for it.

Seeing that it was only a flesh wound, how is it that Leo didn't proceed to beat Shelly half to death? Still glad he didn't, but it seemed out of character. Could it be he who suddenly didn't have the guts after she was pushed to not have the guts not to? Still almost a let-down that he had something else to do instead of pick Bobby off sniper-style. So he got Waldo, but too late to do him any good. The bird had already sung on him.

In all, this ep. is right along the lines of what the series had been, so I'll hold steady at 7 little unicorn figurines.

Last edited:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
I think it’s safe to assume at this point that we’re not going to find out who killed Laura Palmer by the end of the season (which is next week). It’s looking more like we’re in for the long haul on that mystery.

Cooper handled the “Audrey ‘s in my bed” situation with skill and tact. He even made having a moral code as part of his job sound sincere and not corny. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t show them talking over milkshakes later on, even briefly. The bit was just completely forgotten afterward. Audrey went on her spy mission alone - leaving messages for Cooper who was, of course, on his own mission.

Well, not only did Shelly not kill Leo last week, she barely scratched him it looks like. He’s still powerful enough with a rifle to take out poor Waldo, who was just recovering from being left to starve. A bit of a weak plotting point – he overhears Lucy telling someone to guard the bird on the police band, even telling the person the bird is a witness. On the bright side, it kept him from killing Shelly or Bobby, or both. But it was curtains for poor Waldo. At least he got some measure of revenge – he had already shouted, “Leo, don’t!” several times in what was probably a mimic of Laura’s voice. Once again, Leo’s the prime suspect but – naah, it’s just too obvious.

What’s not obvious is what’s bugging Lucy. Andy did try to ask her about it subtly but they were interrupted. Then we heard her talking to her doctor. My guess is she thought she was pregnant, but the doctor just told her she wasn’t. She’s relieved, yet disappointed at the same time. Maybe now she’ll tell Andy about it. All theory, of course.

Hank is becoming a model parolee. He’s already wheedled the name of Big Ed from the waitress, and now he’s stolen someone’s lighter. Our detectives also felt compelled to remind him not to forget to report to his parole officer once a week. At least he has an airtight alibi for Laura’s murder. (Unless they really, really want to surprise us.)

Our other cliffhanger from last week had Maddy playing the tape she found inside Laura’s bedpost. Laura was making tapes for Dr. Jacoby, and the one from the day of her murder is still in his possession. To sneak in and steal it, they pull a cruel mind game on the doc and make him think Maddy is really Laura, somehow still alive. But it seems some mystery person is stalking Maddy at the same time.

And Josie looks like she’s a lot smarter than we’d been led to believe. She already knows about the affair between Ben and Margaret, complete with photos. It looks like Ben and Jocelyn may be using Sheriff Truman to help them frame Margaret for trying to burn down the mill.

Getting back to Audrey, she found out her boss Mr. Battis is the one pimping out the girls like Laura and Ronnette. She peeks in on him lining up another girl so she gets all the information and lands herself an audition, claiming to be “Hester Prynne”. But the lady in charge also read “The Scarlet Letter” and knows the name. (It’s standard reading in high school; I read it too, and knew the name.) But it turns out Audrey has a secret talent – she can tie a cherry stem into a bow with her tongue. So she gets the job. So now she gets to prostitute herself in order to get information on what Laura was secretly up to. Hmmmm. Not sure she’s really thought this one through.

Well, the hour was over before I knew it, and I didn’t even get to the part with Cooper and Truman posing as “Fred and Barney”, the oral surgeons from the Tri-Cities area, over at One-Eyed Jacks. I must say, though, it was a real stomach-turning moment seeing Waldo get shot dead. I’m not sure how to rank these anymore. The storyline is moving some but it’s not really that interesting overall. Hoping for a boost next week since it will be the season finale. I’m just giving this one 5 recordings of 99 bottles of beer on the wall in Icelandic. Now if I only knew if they were saying “If one of those bottles should happen to fall,” or the preferred version, “You take one down and pass it around.”

Best dialogue: “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t mail your bottom back to civilization.” (The line that prompted the cherry stem demonstration.)

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
What’s not obvious is what’s bugging Lucy. Andy did try to ask her about it subtly but they were interrupted. Then we heard her talking to her doctor. My guess is she thought she was pregnant, but the doctor just told her she wasn’t. She’s relieved, yet disappointed at the same time. Maybe now she’ll tell Andy about it. All theory, of course.
Interesting take on that. I thought that she was upset because she actually did have a little Andy in the oven.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, my god. they killed Kenny Waldo. You bastards! Why, why, why did that have to happen? And the show's tagline shouldn't be "Who killed Laura Palmer?" but "Why did Waldo have to die?" instead. OK, you know I'm joking, but I don't like it when they show the sensless death of animals, especially considering that it's quite obvious why the death of a young woman is shocking, but many people take the death of an animal casually.

Moving on... Well, we all knew the "Audrey in Dale's bed" situation wasn't much of a cliff-hanger, as it was clear Dale wouldn't succumb to her charms, as much as Agent Cooper telling Sheriff Truman he knew who had killed Laura Palmer wasn't a legitimate cliff-hanger either (i.e., they wouldn't reveal this kind of information that soon in the series), and pretty much I imagined Cooper would handle the situation the way he did, but still it's admirable how classy he was when deflecting her advances without hurting her feelings. It's ironic how that situation would've been handled nowadays and on a network like the CW, for instance, and that makes me specifically think of a similar incident happening in the Pretty Little Liars show, this time involving a teacher and a high school student. In an adult context, the Twin Peaks plot resolution is more desirable, but somehow I'd like to see both ending together in the future, because both actors have great chemistry and look adorable together.

Concerning this, I'd like to digress a little. I'll mark this passage as a spoiler so I can speak freely. I'm not watching the 2017 single event Twin Peaks: The Return sequel, so don't say anything you think I shouldn't know, please, but as far as I can tell, many important actors of the original show are not in the sequel, and that includes Sherilyn Fenn. I don't know what happens to her in the 1990 show, or if she ever became relevant in Dale Cooper's life, but I do see it would be a problem to use the older version of the character because, as a young woman, she was very sexy and seductive (that was a determining factor in the character's construction), and Ms. Fenn, from what I've seen in more recent shows, has understandably aged, and now the role of the seductress wouldn't fit her anymore. All things considered, I'm not optimistic of a positive romantic plot resolution between Dale and Audrey.

As for the rest, Cooper and Truman going undercover at the One-Eyed Jack was fun, but inconsequential. I still feel the stakes are low.

Audrey doesn't know what she's getting into, and I'm sure that if Cooper knew what she was up to, he wouldn't allow her to expose herself like that. And, by the way, how come she always finds a secret passage / hiding place to sneak into and observe suspicious people right when they are in very compromising attitudes?

Hank is up to no good. You know what they say, never trust an ex-con. Twin Peaks, back in 1990, was not a show to break paradigms or fight for the inclusion of those who have paid their debt to society, so Hank will give us plenty of reasons why he should've remained in jail. And speaking of bad people, I found Leo's superficial arm wound a little disappointing. I didn't expect him to be found bleeding to death in some deserted alley, but at the same time, I was counting on the fact he would have to at least rob a pharmacy to find first-aid materials to treat his injury and make it stop bleeding. I was hoping having been shot would give him some degree of trouble, some problem to solve.

Oh, now I remember Catherine having to sign documents and she was surprised with the terms of the insurance form policy (I think) the lawyer was presenting to her. The impression I was left with is that Ben is doing his best to make Catherine disposable and profit from her demise.

Finally, we have Laura's tape and the "kids" forming a Scooby-doo team and working together to catch Dr. Jacoby red handed. I think that's a weak angle, as I'm not convinced he's the culprit at all. Basically I'm not happy about either suspect: Leo is too obviously bad, and there's more to Dr. Jacoby's story than meets the eye. He's involved, but he's not the big bad one.

James had a little shock seeing Madelaine dressed like Laura, which is understandable. I just don't like it when they use this sort of trick when one actor is playing two roles. After all, the difference between two characters is usually superficial (hair color, glasses, clothing, some outrageous accent), and breaking that convention threatens the whole suspension of disbelief element. It's funny how in reality we can often easily tell identical twins apart, as they show evident differences in body language, weight (even if small), facial expression, among other small traits. In fact it would be extremely hard to make one person pass for the other unless they are carefully coached or it's some pathological case of twin codependency.

Really finally, I'm not sure what Bobby put in James's motorcycle tank, but I think it was drugs and he intends to call the police with an anonymous tip to get him arrested.

I'm bored. I exopected more from the season's penultimate episode. This one gets 4 mynah blood-stained doughnuts.

Last edited:

Brimfin

Interesting take on that. I thought that she was upset because she actually did have a little Andy in the oven.
I was going by the fact she got off the phone so quickly with very little reaction, except to say "I'm fine." I figured if she had just heard she was pregnant, she would be asking questions. But I played it back again and now I'm not so sure. She is out in the open there and might not have wanted to be overheard. It could go either way. But if she is pregnant, I'm surprised she wouldn't have at least said, "I'll call you back later." But then neither she, nor this show, behaves in normal fashion.

Cloister56

So Realization Time or in English, Realisation Time (heh pedant I am).
Penultimate episode here we go.

Cooper is very gentle with Audrey and seems to be choosing his words very carefully. My impression is that he is attracted to Audrey and perhaps realises he has flirted with her. He is doing what is best for both of them, she is far too vulnerable to be making clear decisions. I think this is more of an issue than her age although that also contributes.
It seems Audrey did this a quick decision and as I said last week as this come just after she was crying watching Leyland dance it seemed a little out of place. I think it is something she wanted to do but didn't know what to do once Cooper arrived.
Anyway it's handled well and they both come out of the scene better for it and probably a little closer.

The Doc and Truman are interrogating Waldo, but he ain't squealing, he ain't no snitch. Cooper leaves his little dictaphone to catch what Waldo might say (is that legal, do birds have rights?) I wonder if he will send the tape to Diane.
The team are off to One-Eye Jacks to see Jacques Renault (find it weird to type that not in relation to Formula 1).

Leo's alive! (read that in a Brian Blessed Vultan voice please) and he's watching one of the T-Birds, oh no it's Bobby.

Seeing that it was only a flesh wound, how is it that Leo didn't proceed to beat Shelly half to death? Still glad he didn't, but it seemed out of character. Could it be he who suddenly didn't have the guts after she was pushed to not have the guts not to?
That seems like the best explanation. I've thought from the beginning that Leo was a bit miscast as they try to portray him in every scene as this menacing bully but I never bought it with the performance. I guess even if Shelley didn't wound him badly she would still have the gun and he probably just got out of there as fast as possible.
Bobby makes an odd comment that he is also going to deal with James, I assume he still blames him for Laura's death. His look at the end of the scene makes me continue to be suspicious of his motives with Shelley.

Who is Lucy chatting to on the police radio? It seems very convenient to reveal Waldo's informant status, but the only person I can imagine her telling is Andy but she is pissed at him.

Donna and Madeline are wearing their best jumpers while they listen to the hidden tapes. I think my sister used to have the same tape/radio.

Audrey is turning out just how I would expect on the perfume counter, insulting customers and not being very helpful. I found her tactic to get rid of the guy in the back room very strange and he was painfully clear to be a non speaking extra, probably would have been better not to have him there.
Audrey also uses the very strange tactic in secret observation of lighting up a cigarette. Surely they would wonder where that smoke smell was coming from.
It turns out her boss is in on the recruitment process for One Eyes, I did wonder if he was. As what does the heart rating system means?
Audrey very cleverly gets the number for Black Rose from the other recruit. She has some brains this girl.

What was the purpose Truman's visit to the diner, clearly he didn't come there for coffee. I didn't really like his treatment of Hank. Yes we know he is still up to no good but Truman doesn't. Proclaiming that he is on parole in front of passing diners seems a little unfair. It reminded me of Rambo, in the small town treatment of the outsider, except I guess Truman knows Hank.

Have I missed the backstory of Nadine? How did she lose her eye? Is that why she is lamenting the things she was going to do? What was she saying about lawyers?

I would love to see more of the Bookhouse boys hitting the town, I think Ed is really warming to Cooper but then who wouldn't he so damn earnest and likable. How did Audrey's message not reach Cooper. Surely he had to go to his room to change so why didn't they pass it on? The Great Northern is getting a few points off it's review at this rate.

So Benjamin has tried to change the life insurance to make Josie the beneficiary. The lawyer brings it to Catherine knowing something is up. Catherine now knows Ben has screwed her and not in the way she knew he had, well you get the idea.
I'm glad Josie has turned out to be smarter than she first appeared. She has played the simple but nice damsel very well. She is playing the 2 power figures against each other.

Leo meanwhile takes out Waldo, ruining the donut stacks.

Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, my god. they killed Kenny Waldo. You bastards! Why, why, why did that have to happen? And the show's tagline shouldn't be "Who killed Laura Palmer?" but "Why did Waldo have to die?" instead. OK, you know I'm joking, but I don't like it when they show the sensless death of animals, especially considering that it's quite obvious why the death of a young woman is shocking, but many people take the death of an animal casually.
Interesting. I often see the opposite both in media and in real life. The death of an animal is the shocking thing with the close by death of a human being glossed over. Maybe that's a more recent thing as it did seem odd their lack of any grief over the poor birds fate.

Now if I only knew if they were saying “If one of those bottles should happen to fall,” or the preferred version, “You take one down and pass it around.”
Are they not 2 separate songs. 10 green bottles being the one with if should accidentally fall etc and 99 bottles of beer being the take on down pass it round song?

Audrey is back in sultry mode with a very nice dress. I remember hearing about the trick with the cherry stalk and girls at my school trying to do it. She doesn't look particularly sexy doing it looking like she is about to spit it out but the implication of the skill is, well hot.

Of course Cooper, Agent Cooper is great at blackjack.

I've warmed a bit to Dr Jacoby especially with his sat there on his rocking chair with a little cocktail. I think they did a good job with the fake Laura thing. I think they had the actress wear a wig over her own hair rather than dyeing it so it looked a little off.

Really finally, I'm not sure what Bobby put in James's motorcycle tank, but I think it was drugs and he intends to call the police with an anonymous tip to get him arrested.
Yeah I'm not sure what he did either.

Still a lot of questions. The show still seems to be pushing us towards Leo as the prime suspect which naturally makes me suspicious of him not being the guy.
My other choice Jerry hasn't had much development to be a good choice and Ben seems to have too much going on for him to be involved.
Jacques has evidence against him but he is such an outsider that if he or his dead brother turn out to be the only people involved I would find it a little disappointing.
At this rate I am hoping we don't find out the killer this season as barring a stellar last episode I don't think any would be satisfying.

Some movement of the plot but a so-so episode overall
6 out of 10 rating for the good people at Great Northern Hotel, the rooms are clean and the coffee is great but messages go undelivered.

Cloister56

You probably already know but I figured out how to quote without having to quote the entire comment and deleting the bit you don't want. I think it is new as I don't remember it happening before.

Just highlight the section you want and a little reply icon pops up below it. Click on that and it will add it wherever you left off in your message.