Review 1990 (1977)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This is a fascinating series set in a dystopian Britain. Very hard hitting as secret police and invasive big brother style take control of Britain.
Woodward stars as a journalist , a thorn in the side of a very nasty regime. It's unsettling to see Britain portrayed in this show . Many ideas from The Prisoner, but instead of a contained village , this fascistic drama played out in Britain as a whole. The opening episode has Woodward's Kyle engaged in an illegal Emigration smuggling operation, a great introduction to a series worth giving a go.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Really enjoying this series as a first time viewer. Edward Woodward is in almost Callan mode, as a journalist Kyle up against a vicious ultra right wing government and their all encompassing Peoples Control Department. Just seen episode called " Health Farm" which in actuality is a rehabilitation and torture establishment. Kyle tries to rescue a union leader undergoing electro-convulsive treatment after shooting his mouth off about democracy and freedom.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Really enjoying this series as a first time viewer. Edward Woodward is in almost Callan mode, as a journalist Kyle up against a vicious ultra right wing government and their all encompassing Peoples Control Department. Just seen episode called " Health Farm" which in actuality is a rehabilitation and torture establishment. Kyle tries to rescue a union leader undergoing electro-convulsive treatment after shooting his mouth off about democracy and freedom.
This sounds absolutely brilliant.

Is it all available on YouTube by any chance?

michaellevenson

I've bought the DVDS for series 1 , eight episodes, hopefully the second series will come out , but yes it's on youtube. The first episode Creed of Slaves is in my OP.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Really want to see this, I'd read a brief piece on it about a year ago, and it was the first I'd ever heard of the show. I'll wait to invest in the discs til it's certain that the second series will be released but I'll be viewing it on Youtube. If it's even close to The Prisoner in brilliance it will have been well worth the time.

An interesting side note is that the original UK version of House of Cards, in the third part of the trilogy (The Final Cut) also used the image of a near-future British dystopia run by secret police and a fascistic government. Possible to wonder if series writer Andrew Davies might have been influenced by this show, although of course the dystopian idea as applied specifically to Britain harks back at least to Orwell's 1984.

ant-mac

Have finished watching the first episode. I enjoyed it and look forward to more.

I hope that the further along I get, the more involved I'll become in the world of 1990.

ant-mac

Really want to see this, I'd read a brief piece on it about a year ago, and it was the first I'd ever heard of the show. I'll wait to invest in the discs til it's certain that the second series will be released but I'll be viewing it on Youtube. If it's even close to The Prisoner in brilliance it will have been well worth the time.

An interesting side note is that the original UK version of House of Cards, in the third part of the trilogy (The Final Cut) also used the image of a near-future British dystopia run by secret police and a fascistic government. Possible to wonder if series writer Andrew Davies might have been influenced by this show, although of course the dystopian idea as applied specifically to Britain harks back at least to Orwell's 1984.
If it helps, according to Wikipedia, series two will be released May the first, 2017.

michaellevenson

Can confirm May 1 release, seen it on Amazon for pre order, so quickly after series 1 is unusual. I recognise Clifton Jones in it , Kano from Space 1999.

ant-mac

Can confirm May 1 release, seen it on Amazon for pre order, so quickly after series 1 is unusual. I recognise Clifton Jones in it , Kano from Space 1999.
I've just started watching episode one of season two. I really enjoyed season one - especially the last two episodes.

It must be a good TV series, because I get so pissed off watching some of those bastards in a position of authority. There have been a few occasions when I've really wanted to do them some serious physical harm. That means I've bought into the concept of 1990 and have become emotionally involved.

michaellevenson

Yes I agree ant-mac, particularly Barbara Kellerman's character Lomas what a b***h. Glad you're enjoying it . I also recommend Sandbaggers, which I've put on this 70's forum, especially if you're a Callan fan.

ant-mac

Yes I agree ant-mac, particularly Barbara Kellerman's character Lomas what a b***h. Glad you're enjoying it . I also recommend Sandbaggers, which I've put on this 70's forum, especially if you're a Callan fan.
Once I've finished 1990, I'm moving onto THRILLER. I vaguely seem to remember it - or something very much like it - from the early 1980s. It wasn't unusual back then - and even now - for there to be a substantial delay between original broadcast in the country of production and broadcast out here in one of many foreign markets. Of course these days, the delay is often much, much shorter. Once I've caught up on what I can with THRILLER, then I'll move onto SANDBAGGERS.

You should consider going into TV programming, mate. I know I'd enjoy it. :emoji_relaxed:

ant-mac

I finally finished viewing 1990. It was very enjoyable.

However, I found it slightly odd that by the second season they were still in February of 1990. I think a more open title was called for. I also wasn't sure if they'd get there in the end and give the TV series a suitable finale - but they did.

I certainly hope I come across a DVD box-set of the entire thing.

michaellevenson

I finally finished viewing 1990. It was very enjoyable.

However, I found it slightly odd that by the second season they were still in February of 1990. I think a more open title was called for. I also wasn't sure if they'd get there in the end and give the TV series a suitable finale - but they did.

I certainly hope I come across a DVD box-set of the entire thing.
Just finished this for a second time. It never let up in quality, if only it was greater known it might be considered an all time classic.
For more 70's classic British gold, again I'll recommend The Sandbaggers, and I've recently put an episode guide on The Omega Factor thread.