A Return to Mainland Appreciation

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Remember way back, when me and our dearly departed green scaly reptilian friend ... hmm, are frogs reptiles LOL (gosh I miss that guy) ... would argue the merits and demerits of mainland cinema? I was still trying to defend it back then. I drifted away (and so did he, unfortunately). Anyway, I've stumbled upon a passionate soul over at letterbox who's maybe more verbose and stream of consciousness than I am, who's all in for China. He's opened a door that suggests the stuff is still there. We just don't see it -- because of this and that. @divemaster13 he's also big on HK stuff (you know how I am with that ;)

Letterbox isn't conducive to endless chit-chat so I've invited him (I presume he's a guy), and anyone else who's inclined, to unload over here. I hope he joins us. He's willy over at letterbox

Release the hounds!

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I would love fresh input and a discussion of mainland China films. The vast majority of what I've seen is HK, but that's not due to any bias--just what comes across my radar, and the fact that HK puts out the genres I enjoy.

According to my viewing spreadsheet, I've seen about 23 Mainland China films. And at least 10X that for HK. But I'm not sure how accurate that is, as my primary way to determine a Chinese film's production origin is by language: any film with Cantonese as original language (as well as the Mandarin Shaw Bros. films) are HK productions. So, by default, any non-Shaw film with Mandarin as original language is either Taiwan or Mainland China. I wonder if that's even remotely accurate?

Oh, and frogs are amphibians!

sitenoise

Oh, and frogs are amphibians!
oh yeah LOL I forgot about those. I only considered live birth

My letterbox pal is unable to create an account here. Tried two different emails. Can't get the confirmation. I think the guy who built this forum is long gone. I PM'd one of the admins here about it but it's a deeper issue than he has access to.

R.I.P IMD

sitenoise

Hey @sitenoise ... saw this https://movie.douban.com/subject/30128916/ and thought it would be right up your alley ... well, notionally anyway, maybe. Gong Li, Huang Bo and some dude from An Elephant Standing Still in a film about women's volleyball!
That's weird. I guess there are two of these things coming out. One is directed by Joan Chen called "Iron Hammer" which is a bio-doc of the coach of China's volleyball team, Lang Ping (thaht was her nickname). The one you linked is more a history of the team. Gong Li plays Lang Ping. She's a legend in China. She's the only player to win Olympic Gold (1984) and then Olympic Gold (2016) as a Coach. She coached the USA team for a spell (and beat China at the Olympics). I am indeed looking forward to both of these

Equality_7-2521

Member: Rank 2
That's weird. I guess there are two of these things coming out. One is directed by Joan Chen called "Iron Hammer" which is a bio-doc of the coach of China's volleyball team, Lang Ping (thaht was her nickname). The one you linked is more a history of the team. Gong Li plays Lang Ping. She's a legend in China. She's the only player to win Olympic Gold (1984) and then Olympic Gold (2016) as a Coach. She coached the USA team for a spell (and beat China at the Olympics). I am indeed looking forward to both of these
I'd rather just watch Zhao Benshan....

Equality_7-2521

Member: Rank 2
oh yeah LOL I forgot about those. I only considered live birth

My letterbox pal is unable to create an account here. Tried two different emails. Can't get the confirmation. I think the guy who built this forum is long gone. I PM'd one of the admins here about it but it's a deeper issue than he has access to.

R.I.P IMD
@ant-mac is the admin and he's still around. I don't know if the "@" will tag him into this conversation, but I'll send him a PM as well

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
Here is some recent stuff that might be of interest:

Better Days (2019) - directed by Derek Tsang, starring Dongyu Zhou

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014) - directed by Yi'nan Dao, starring Kwai Lunmei
Wild Goose Lake (2019) - directed by Yi'nan Dao, starring Kwai Lunmei

Long Day's Journey Into Night (2018) - directed by Bi Gan, starring Wei Tang
Kaili Blues (2015) - directed by Bi Gan

An Elephant Sitting Still (2018)
The Looming Storm (2017)
The Crossing (2018)
Angels Wear White (2017)