divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
divemaster's review:

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
Directed by Ji-woon Kim
Starring Jung-ah Yum, Su-jeong Lim, Geun-yeong Mun
In Korean with English subtitles
Film: 5 stars (out of 5)

What makes A Tale of Two Sisters such an effective film is the many different levels it works on. It has WTF? and OMG! moments, it makes you think (and it plays fair, plotwise, once you mull it over a bit) AND it reaches the viewer on an emotional level. It is also a beautiful movie--the cinematography and set design are very well done, and the use of color and music to set the different moods is masterful. For example, a waltz can be romantic and playful. Or it can be melancholy and sad. The colors green and yellow can be bright and springtime. Or they can be diseased and rot. Director Ji-woon Kim uses such dichotomies to extreme effect.

Ok, so what is AToTS about? Well, it depends on whether you are interested in the plot or the story. The plot of a movie is what happens, moves the action along. Films driven solely by plot may be fun to watch once or twice but don’t bring much else once you know what happens, where the “scare scenes” are, and once you have made your way through the aha! moments. The *story* is the characters and other components that make you care. Ji-woon Kim peels back layer after layer of the story and really makes you care about the characters, especially the two sisters.

The first time I watched AToTS, there were a couple of scenes that were so creepy that I was curled up on the edge of the couch chewing on my knuckles. There are moments of pure spine-tingling terror (so it works as a K-horror), but it is not as “scary” as, say, Ju-On or Ringu. The overall horror of the movie doesn’t derive so much from what you see on the screen, but what you come to realize as certain revelations become known. The horror lies more in the “why” than the “what.”

The second time I watched it I was caught up in the "mystery" and figuring out the nuances of the plot. Subsequent viewings really hit me as to the tragic, tragic tale of what happened to this family.

The story centers around Su-mi (the older sister, about 15 years old) and her younger sister Su-yeon, who is about 12. They do not get along with their new stepmother at all, who especially seems to have it in for Su-yeon. Oh, sure, stepmom comes across sweetly enough but it is evident to the girls (and to the viewer) that she resents the girls. Director Kim allows the plot to unfold in the present, in flashbacks, in discovered photographs, and in dream snippets. As the pieces are put together we learn more and more about the characters and the history of the house. A typical gothic approach, but handled very well here. Many questions unfold. What happened to the mother? Why does the stepmother resent the girls so much? Why is the father so passive in the midst of all this? Just what exactly is in the wardrobe, and what the hell is that in the bloody sack?

In any horror movie you have screaming--usually a teenage girl (or 2 or 3). In typical horror movies, the screams signify a scare or some horrible spectacle on the screen. In AToTS, there is a scene with one girl screaming that will wrench your heart out. And then later, when another character screams, it is eminently satisfying in the typical horror movie moment. (Don’t let my talk of “psychological mystery” mislead you—there is definitely something in the house.)

Earlier, I called A Tale of Two Sisters a tragic story. The last few minutes of the film, switching between present and flashback, is like a punch in the gut. That slow waltz music kicks in, understanding dawns, and we see how a short passing moment and a few words spoken in haste will affect this family forever. And it will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I can't recommend this movie enough.

The 2-disc SE (R1) contains two commentaries, deleted scenes, interviews, image gallery, and various promotional and behind-the-scenes featurettes on production design, music, SFX, etc. There is a trailer that plays up the horror aspects of the film. Commentary 1 is with the director, cinematographer, and lighting director, and is pretty dry. It focuses on technique and does not provide many insights into the film itself (although there are a few). Commentary 2 is a little better, where the director discusses the film with the two girls who play the sisters.

The Korean SE has a better transfer (to my eyes) compared to the Tartan release but the bonus features are not subtitled.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
With Tale of Two Sisters, I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I bailed a little more than halfway through, and not because of gore, but because of bore. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a movie; I might give it a try again since you all are unanimous that it's a work of staggering genius.
Ha! That's a great quote.

Yeah, admittedly, A Tale of Two Sisters is a slow burn rather than a slicer-dicer or "jump-scare" extravaganza. But I submit that there are plenty of movies to scratch that itch, of getting horror thrills. This one (at least to me) got into my head and, well, like I said, really made me care. It is very clever and very well-made. You can tell that the director and actors/actresses put a lot into it to make a good film rather than aiming for the least common denominator on the thrills equation. Plus, I do like movies with a psychological puzzle aspect, that get better with repeat viewings. I mean, I watch Mullholland Dr. at least once or twice a year and still find new ways to appreciate it every time.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
My favorite movie of all time. Be sure to read Opiemar's thread on the IMDb message board before it gets deleted in 2 days.

Drawing from horror, drama, and mystery genres, director Ji-woon Kim showcases an intricate plotline that engages the viewer to reinterpret the movie subsequent to the introduction of plot twists. (It is essential to watch this film more than once.) The storyline is one of the most tightly constructed I've ever seen, with something vitally important occurring every other minute. Quite literally, the director seems to have made a movie that practically taunts the viewer to dissect it on the most detailed of levels. A seemingly insignificant object may be shown – a rack of dresses, some diaries, a drop of blood emanating from a floor crack, a bottle of pills, etc. – but upon meticulous inspection turns out to be so much more – a clue that helps to make sense of that particular scene (or perhaps the movie in total), which almost always contributes a stirring reflection upon the psychological concepts that lurk in the background until the viewer's intelligence prompts them to spring to the forefront.

Such an event might occur a handful of times during any other movie, but in “A Tale of Two Sisters” such events occur in such a rapid-fire, relentless fashion that the viewer must watch the film in a perpetual state of alertness, lest they miss something important. In other words, the content level of this film is enough to easily fill a dozen other films.

The movie also boasts outstanding performances and a soundtrack of classical music recorded specifically for the film. Post-production is nearly flawless, with over a dozen scenes properly deleted from the storyline so as to carefully and slowly reveal secrets. The mood that results is an eerie, yet beautifully artistic atmosphere that is a joy to watch. This is a true masterpiece in a sea of faux “masterpieces.”

elanor

Member: Rank 3
I've seen the film only once. I'm not into horror films therefore I need to feel strong enough to watch such a harrowing film. But what I remember from this one viewing totally agrees with ebossert's description. I gave it 8/10, which is the second highest rating I give. I expect that I might enhance the rating to my maximum 9/10 after a second viewing.