Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Well Servalan did say that the original was the pattern for a fleet.

Obviously they only had yellow and blue when said fleet was built.

s-l400.jpg

Doctor Omega

I also think it's pretty funky actually...

space-toys---corgi-junior---blake-s-seven-liberator-space-ship--grey--p-image-277238-grande.jpg

But had no idea that this colour model existed until you mentioned it.

A rarity?

Doctor Omega

ANIMALS

DAYNA:
Perhaps Og will trust me!

anima132.jpg

Yes, Dayna. I mean, you only shot a few of his pals in front of him, then showed that you were with Justin.

And, as for "my little pupil, Dayna! Lovelier than ever!" :emoji_confused:"

anima040.jpg

Still, at least Dayna had a nice time in that chair....

barbarella_excessive_machine_torture_laqvs.jpg

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
The awful moments in Blake's 7 usually fall into the poor FX category which doesn't really bother me. So long as the poor FX doesn't undermine the scene then I'm OK with it.
Coming perilously close to ridiculing a scene and destroying credibility of an episode is the Kyropan monster and of course Moloch, I can't think of any others really, possibly the snake and lynx creatures in Rescue. The poor FX has been overstated IMO. The sets on the whole were ok , costumes good, the only real problem was space scenes; battles , laser weapons, explosions , the scenes of Federation ships closing in on Scorpio at the end of Stardrive were c**p, that sort of stuff, otherwise ok.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
So long as the poor FX doesn't undermine the scene then I'm OK with it.
I have to remind myself that I'm a huge "Red Dwarf" fan so ridiculous monsters along with bad sets and FX shouldn't and don't really bother me either. But RD established it's characters clearly and definitely almost right from moment one and some of the scenes were so brilliant it was like they were orchestrated by a philharmonic master! Even the god-awful monsters (remember the "Vindaloo" Beast that could only be killed by lager beer?) were tolerable because everything else was so funny and so magnificent. But I do agree that anything which is bad enough to take you out of the moment is just plain bloody annoying!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: DBs for the shows that can keep you "in the moment" :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Doctor Omega

B7Demo_zps59875246.jpg

For some inexplicable reason, these documentaries were left off the dvd releases of the show, despite being made especially for the releases: one per season box set.

The decision to not include them led to the cancellation of a fourth documentary that detailed the fourth and final season.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I remembered seeing this puzzle in the corner shop as a kid and wanting to buy it. But the pocket money didn't stretch that far. By the time I had chance to suggest it might make a great Christmas present, it had gone.

I never saw it again until the invention of google.

A tragic anecdote. :emoji_alien:

blakes-7-crew-jig-2.jpg

Doctor Omega

New Big Finish Anthology of short stories out in November.....

bf_heroes_cover_350px.jpg

Separate by Una McCormack

Rock Star by Paul Darrow

Dominator by Jonathan L Howard

Metanoia by L M Myles

Contagion by Trevor Baxendale

Seven Magnificent Dirty Expendables on an Impossible Mission by Gary Russell

Heroes or villains? Things are not always black and white in the dystopia ruled by the ruthless Federation. The crew of the Liberator are passionate in their opposition to the injustice and corruption of the government, but this group of convicts and outcasts aren’t exactly angels themselves… Whether it’s a large scale rescue mission, or a simple act of kindness, these stories explore an important question: what really makes a hero?

Una McCormack told Horizon:
"I'm delighted to be contributing to this anthology, as part of a wonderful line-up. Big Finish are doing Blake's 7 proud."

Trevor Baxendale told us:
"It's fantastic to be back in the world of Blake's 7 and in such marvellous company. I couldn't be happier - there's something in this anthology for everyone who loves Blake's 7 and wants to know more about what it takes to be a member of the Liberator crew."

Heroes is produced and edited by Xanna Eve Chown. Due for release in November 2017 in hardback and eBook formats

Doctor Omega

Nigel "Quatermass" Kneale was never a fan.....

of many things.....

nigel-kneale.jpg

Kneale never saw himself as a science-fiction writer, and was often critical of the genre.

He particularly disliked the BBC series Doctor Who (1963–89; 1996; 2005–present), for which he had once turned down an offer to write.

"It sounded a terrible idea and I still think it was," he commented in 1986. "The fact that it's lasted a long time and has a steady audience doesn't mean much. So has Crossroads and that's a stinker".

He also slammed Blake's 7, which he described as the lowest point of British television science-fiction:

"I think the low point for me would be the very few bits I've seen of a thing called Blake's 7 which I found paralytically awful. The dialogue/characterisation seemed to consist of a kind of childish squabbling"

and Doomwatch:

"I was approached to write Doomwatch. That didn't seem to be much good either."

Doctor Omega

It baffles me how the copyright holders would stop these documentaries from being on the dvd's and cancelling the documentary on the fourth season?

Dumb, just dumb.

The dvd's actual extras were fairly sparse and these would have been a real point of sale for people.

Doctor Omega

Not an Avon Quote, but I could punch the air when we get

"Main drives! Maximum power!"

Major hubris! :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Have never seen FARSCAPE, but just found this article on my travels.....

Ten Reasons Farscape is Like Blake's 7

farscape_group01.jpg

The suggestion that Farscape is a bit like Blake's 7 is hardly a revelation, what with a gang of convicts and ne'er-do-wells roaming the galaxy in an extraordinary ship they stumbled across fighting a collection of S&M fascists and their own dodgy interpersonal relationships.

Crichton, obsessed with Scorpius and wormholes is reminiscent of Blake in terms of the latter's desire to bring down the Federation, and Travis. There's a bit of Tarrant hotshot fly-boy arrogance in there too.

The symbiotic relationship of Pilot and Moya is rather too similar to Zen and The Liberator too; and there are various other archetypes in there too: female mystic; cowardly jester; gun-wielding ball-breaking women; ambiguous leather-clad anti-heroes; and gentle giants.

There are even set pieces that seem like straight lifts: in Dog With Two Bones the Farscape crew gunned down by black-clad troopers in slo-mo in a end-of-season climax. Not unlike Blake, where the Blake's 7 crew are unned down by black-clad troopers in slo-mo in a end-of-season climax.

What's interesting, though, is that despite so many similar elements, the two programmes could hardly be more different. Farscape is an extremely funny show: self-aware; self-deprecating and not afraid to play with form and convention.

Blake's 7 - despite a lot of grim humour and the odd lighter episode, generally focussed on Vila - B7 tended to take itself fairly seriously, especially in the early days.

And in spite of the odd look between Avon and Cally, or the occasional kiss between Avon and Servalan, romance - or even sex - was rarely in the air in the British sci-fi show.

In Farscape everyone is at it all the time. Chiana is, fairly explicitly, a slut who's only a half-step removed from being a prostitute, albeit one who's quite happy to adopt that, er, position.

Time travel, alternate universes, cosmic planes, resurrections, fantasy, animation - Farscape had a go at all of them. But Blake's 7 was a product of its time: of Thatcher and strikes and oil shortages: it was straight-laced and po-faced.

But I love both shows, at once alike and un-alike. Divided by continents and decades and styles and tastes; sharing a set-up but taking them in radically different directions.

If only Paul Darrow had turned up on Moya.

Doctor Omega

There was the magazine of course. 23 issues and a summer and winter special. Mostly concentrating on the fourth season.....

1871663-blakes7_1.jpg

Doctor Omega

Then there was the "authentic" sequel to that shocking finale...

Published once and then quietly forgotten, along with it's never published sequel: STATE OF MIND......

51tyqwuLELL.jpg

Funnily enough, quite recently I found Tony Attwood's following comments on the review page at Amazon.....

How did we get here
By Mr. A. L. Attwood on 9 Jun. 2005

I'm moved to write this to try and clarify a couple of points that related to the writing of Afterlife.

The book came about when it became clear that there was not likely to be a 5th series of Blake's at least for another couple of years, because of contractual arguments which by and large had nothing to do with the series, but were happening off stage.

Having written The Programme Guide to the series I was asked to write a book which could be turned into four episodes.

My instructions were to work with Avon and Vila and to keep within the format - but not to introduce anything that would cause too much confusion if the 5th series were made.

As the novel developed I suggested that we could consider doing 2 novels - the second being State of Mind, which would resolve the issues in Afterlife - which are left hanging reading for the next events.

This idea was welcomed, but then those contractual arguments got in the way.

A lot of hardcore fans didn't like Afterlife - criticising both what I did with the characters, and what happened in the storyline, but to balance that (and to keep me feeling moderately happy) there was a lot of nice stuff from people who just watched the show but never subscribed to the fanzines etc.

If you enjoyed Afterlife - I'm glad you did. If not - well, sorry.

I thought it worked ok, but we all have our own style.