• I'm on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
_80691582_89281465.jpg

Has the world come to it's senses?

Or has the world gone mad?

And, in case anyone finds their blood-pressure rising too much, a nice song......

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Gender-blind Shakespeare casting ‘stupid’, says playwright Ronald Harwood

00 (2).jpg

Playwright Ronald Harwood has claimed that casting women in male Shakespearean roles is "an insult to the playwright" and "astonishingly stupid".

His words follow earlier comments made in February, in which he said he would never allow a woman to play the lead role in his most famous play, The Dresser, a clause he has stipulated in his will.

Harwood claimed in an interview in The Times that he "can't bear it" when women play Shakespearean male leads such as King Lear.

"It’s an insult to the playwright. I know it’s being done all over the place and Sarah Bernhardt was the first to do it in Hamlet, but I don’t think that was very wise either. I just can’t suspend my belief in that kind of thing," he said.

His comments follow several acclaimed productions in which women have taken on Shakespeare's lead male roles – such as Michelle Terry as Henry V and Maxine Peake as Hamlet – and as performers including Tamsin Greig and Glenda Jackson prepare to play star roles in gender-fluid Shakespeare productions.

Jackson will take on King Lear at the Old Vic in October, a decision Harwood said he couldn’t understand.

"I was sitting next to Glenda Jackson when she said she was going to play King Lear. But why? It’s written for a man. It’s a very tough part. It demands huge energy and masculine strength, and that’s how it was written. He’d have called it Queen Lear if he wanted a woman to play it,” he said.

He went on to say that he did not mind productions in which all parts were played by women or by actors of a certain ethnicity. "But to put a woman in the role with men around her seems to me to be astonishingly stupid," he added.

Earlier this year, a YouGov survey of 2,000 British people found that almost half disliked the idea of Hamlet being played by a woman.

Harwood also criticised the recent BBC adaptation of The Dresser, which starred Ian McKellen in the title role, and Anthony Hopkins, claiming he thought it was "dreadful".

A new production of The Dresser, starring Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith, tours next month ahead of a West End run at the Duke of York's Theatre in October.

Doctor Omega

J.K. Rowling angry about black Hermione complaints

hermoine-split.jpg

(CNN)J.K. Rowling has decried critics of the casting of a black actress as Hermione as "a bunch of racists."

The Guardian reported that the "Harry Potter" author talked to The Observer about the complaints surrounding the selection of award-winning actress Noma Dumezweni to play the character in "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" on the London stage. The loudest critics have come via social media.

African actress will play Hermione Granger in new Harry Potter play

"With my experience of social media, I thought that idiots were going to idiot," Rowling said in the interview. "But what can you say? That's the way the world is. Noma was chosen because she was the best actress for the job."
Rowling said she is fully supportive of the casting.
"I had a bunch of racists telling me that because Hermione 'turned white' -- that is, lost (color) from her face after a shock -- that she must be a white woman, which I have a great deal of difficulty with. But I decided not to get too agitated about it and simply state quite firmly that Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute blessing and enthusiasm."
In December Rowling addressed the online outcry by tweeting "white skin was never specified" and that she "loves black Hermione."

Doctor Omega

Backlash over casting of Jodie Whittaker as new Doctor Who

jodie-whittaker-doctor-who.jpg

Television series Doctor Who has faced immediate backlash following the BBC's announcement of actress Jodie Whittaker as the first ever female to take on the hallowed role.

The science fiction series, which has run on the BBC since 1963, has seen 12 men play the titular role of the extraterrestrial "Time Lord" who time travels the universe in a blue British police box called the Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension In Space).

Previous "Time Lords" have included Matt Smith and David Tennant.

But many "Whovians", or Doctor Who fans, are unhappy that a Time Lady instead of a Time Lord is at the helm.

Facebook and Twitter have become a hot bed for comments disparaging the decision to cast 35-year-old Whittaker.

Commenting on the official Doctor Who Facebook page post of the reveal video, many fans deemed their favourite show "ruined". Others dismissed the decision to cast a woman as a politically correct one.

One wrote: "I guess not even Doctor Who is beyond jumping on the popular politically correct bandwagon. Hoped for more. A woman would be fine, if it wasn't what the social climate (warriors) demanded. Way to cave under pressure."

Another fan wrote: "I'm not watching anymore."

The announcement was made on Sunday night (July 16) after the Wimbledon tennis men's final match. Whittaker will replace current Doctor, Peter Capaldi following the annual Christmas special episode, which is expected to air in December.

But there was also plenty of support on the decision to cast her, while calling out the misogyny.

One fan wrote: "Good grief, are you lot still living in 1950?! It's interesting how the vast majority giving hate for the simple fact that the new doctor has boobs are men. Intimidated maybe? Or just plain sexist pigs? I personally haven't watched since midway through Matt Smith's time as the Doctor, but I will certainly be watching to see what she brings to the role."

Another tweeted: "If you're angry about #doctor13 possibly being a woman, just remember: 1) Its not real 2) The Doctor is an alien 3) You're a moron"

Whittaker, a Guildhall School of Music and Drama alumni, most recently played Beth Latimer - a mother whose son is murdered - in BBC crime drama Broadchurch, alongside former Doctor Who, Tennant.

Fans of dystopian Netflix series Black Mirror will also recognise her as the character Ffion in the series one finale, The Entire History Of You.

Perhaps preempting the backlash, Whittaker urged fans in an interview with the BBC "not to be scared" by her gender. She said: "Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."

Steven Moffat, the show's lead writer and executive producer, will also leave the series after the Christmas special and will be succeeded by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall.

Doctor Omega

CHARLIZE THERON LAUGHS OFF PLAYING JAMES BOND AS ‘CRAY’
Charlize Theron thinks Chris Hemsworth is 'cray' for suggesting she should be the next James Bond.

Charlize-Theron-as-James-Bond-Poster.jpg

LOS ANGELES – Award-winning actress Charlize Theron has claimed Chris Hemsworth is “cray” for suggesting she should be the next James Bond.

The 33-year-old actor has claimed the blonde beauty would be the ideal candidate to replace Daniel Craig as the iconic movie character, but while Charlize appreciates the compliment, she is less than convinced about the idea.

The Oscar-winning star joked: “Chris, so, you got that cheque I sent you? Thanks, dude. I got your back.”

Charlize, 41, subsequently addressed the idea in a more serious tone, suggesting it’s not something she’d ever previously considered.

She told Entertainment Tonight: “Oh wow. That’s so insanely generous and nice. I don’t even know what to do with that. That’s really sweet.”

Charlize said taking the role of Bond would be “cray cray”, adding: “Daniel, you got the job. I am not going to take that job away from you.”

Earlier this week, Chris admitted Charlize “scares the hell out of” him.

The Australian actor praised his Snow White and the Huntsman co-star for being “smart as hell” and said she would be an excellent person to play Bond as she “embodies the strength and nobility and dignity and integrity” the character needs.

He shared: “She scares the hell out of me and I think she can beat me up and most villains out there.

“She embodies every sort of ounce of strength and nobility and dignity and integrity that that character should have.”

And Chris said Charlize proved her credentials for the role of Bond in Snow White and the Huntsman.

He explained: “She’s smart as hell. She’s physically able. I worked with her on Snow White and the Huntsman.

“Watching her in those fight scenes, doing it in high heels, by the way, and an eight-foot long gown was even more impressive.”

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Only an idiot would have a problem with it.

Times change. It's fiction, move on.

Bond revealed in Skyfall that he's probably enjoyed some man-sausage. That would have made Bond fans in the 70's and 80's shit a brick.

Today, we're all much more grown up.

Right?

Doctor Omega

BBC hits back against complaints over Jodie Whittaker’s casting as first female Doctor Who

The broadcaster has praised the actress’s ‘bold and brilliant’ vision for the character

jodie-whittaker-doctor-who.png

The BBC complaints department has hit back against objections to the casting of actress Jodie Whittaker as the next Doctor Who.

Since it was revealed, after much speculation, that the next incarnation of the BBC’s iconic timelord character would indeed be a woman, reactions to Whittaker’s casting have been largely positive.

However, there has been a small minority of fans who feel a female Doctor is just too farfetched for a show about a shapeshifting alien who travels through time in a spaceship shaped like a police phone box.

Some even felt so strongly against the casting that they complained to the BBC about Whittaker's appointment.

But the broadcaster’s complaints department wasn’t having any of it and issued a statement firmly shutting down the objections against the actress and praising her ‘bold and brilliant’ vision for the character.

Here’s the statement in full:

"Complaint:

Some viewers contacted us unhappy that Jodie Whittaker has been cast as the new Doctor.

Response:

Since the first Doctor regenerated back in 1966, the concept of the Doctor as a constantly evolving being has been central to the programme. The continual input of fresh ideas and new voices across the cast and the writing and production teams has been key to the longevity of the series.

The Doctor is an alien from the planet Gallifrey and it has been established in the show that Time Lords can switch gender.

As the Controller of BBC Drama has said, Jodie is not just a talented actor but she has a bold and brilliant vision for her Doctor. She aced it in her audition both technically and with the powerful female life force she brings to the role. She is destined to be an utterly iconic Doctor.

We hope viewers will enjoy what we have in store for the continuation of the story."

The Broadchurch star herself has spoken out about the controversy surrounding her appointment, imploring fans “not to be scared” by her gender.

Instead she hoped viewers would find the change "exciting”, commenting: "This is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that’s exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one.”

Whittaker will take over the role from current Doctor Peter Capaldi following the Christmas special later this year.

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
I generally don't have a problem with gender (or race) blind casting. I'd much prefer that they found the best person to play the role and tell the story the way the director wants to tell it. And sometimes a gender or race swap in a lead role can enable the story to be seen through a different perspective. The only time I'd have an issue is if the gender or race is such a key part of the character that changing it would completely change the character. For example, I suspect I'd struggle with Black Panther, the leader of a (fictional) African nation, being played by anyone that's not black (male or female).

I never had an issue with the Torch being played by Michael B. Jordan in Fantastic Four. I did have a major issue with his sister being played by someone of a different race. One of the major dynamics of the Fantastic Four is the family relationships and the need to suddenly make the brother/sister relationship one of adoption significantly changed that dynamic. Although in the end there were more than enough other issues with that movie to relegate that problem well down the list.

I've gone from being less than keen about a female Doctor Who a couple of years ago to pretty enthused about the idea of Jodie Whittaker in the role now. My main concern is in regard to the quality of the writing which hasn't always been great for female characters. But if its well written it should be interesting. And if it's successful it will hopefully mean that future incarnations are chosen on the basis of ability rather than any other aspect (although I suspect that regardless of gender we're in for a few incarnations of young, good looking Doctors rather than another Peter Capaldi or someone like Judi Dench)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm with @Gavin on this. I did, however, disagree with Jordan's casting in Fant4stick, only because it felt less like "the right actor", and more like "we're doing it because fuck the fanboys". The director and producers pretty much said that flat out, that this wasn't about who was right for the role, but instead cast someone who they knew would cause an uproar. That's when I have an issue with changing an established character. If you're doing it and it can be done in a way that feels natural and the actor is good, go for it.

And while I spent many years thinking that The Doctor should always be a man, I look forward to Jodie's work on the show, and wish only the best.

Gavin

VIP
I don't doubt that (I still have not seen the film, nor do I plan on it). Again, it was more my opinion of the director and his attitude on the subject.
It was pretty clear from both the director and Sony that they really didn't want to make a Fantastic Four movie. So they made a movie that contained just enough FF elements to ensure they retained the rights but enough differences to ensure no one would actually see it as FF. Hence, the cast being told not to read the comics.

Doctor Omega

Ed Skrein Departs “Hellboy” Reboot

ed-skrein-departs-hellboy-reboot-696x464.jpg

British actor Ed Skrein has exited the “Hellboy” reboot following a public outcry over the whitewashing of his character.

In the “B.P.R.D.” graphic novels, Major Ben Daimio is an Asian character, Upon the announcement of the hiring of the very Caucasian Skrein for the role, a minor controversy erupted over the racial change.

Now, Skrein has posted a classy statement Monday on his social media accounts explaining why he dropped out of the project.

“It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voice in the Arts.

I feel it is important to honour and respect that. There I have decided to step down so the role can be cast appropriately. Representation of ethnic diversity is important, especially to me as I have a mixed heritage family.

It is our responsibility to make more decisions in difficult times and to give voice to inclusivity. It is my hope that one day these discussions will become less necessary and that we can help make equal representation in the Arts a reality.”

The controversy follows in the wake of Scarlett Johansson and Tilda Swinton’s casting in “Ghost in the Shell” and “Doctor Strange” respectively with the talk taking over much of the conversation about the film.

Lionsgate has also released a statement in regards to Skrein’s exit:

“Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision. It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

David Harbour, Ian McShane and Milla Jovovich co-star in the film which shoots later this Fall.

Doctor Omega

Devil's Advocate Question:

In Hellboy, due to an outcry, a white actor has stepped down from a role that was portrayed in the original source material as an ethnic character, stating:

“It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people
Should the reverse be true? Should an ethnic actor, due to an outcry, step down from a role that was portrayed in the original source material as a white character, while also stating:

“It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people
Does true equality demand an equal and opposite response?

Or are there additional, somewhat complex, factors that make one case different from another?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Devil's Advocate Question:

In Hellboy, due to an outcry, a white actor has stepped down from a role that was portrayed in the original source material as an ethnic character, stating:

Should the reverse be true? Should an ethnic actor, due to an outcry, step down from a role that was portrayed in the original source material as a white character, while also stating:

Does true equality demand an equal and opposite response?

Or are there additional, somewhat complex, factors that make one case different from another?
Equality must apply to all people in all situations in exactly the same way - otherwise it is not equality.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I asked the same question to myself earlier. Quietly, of course, lest I be committed for being insane (again), and so no one would confuse me for someone who voted for Trump. Here's the conclusion I came to (or I came to, depending on who you ask).

The difference is that there are fewer decent characters written as being ethnic, and to take that away from a character - fictional or not - takes away from the experience of a viewer of color. A young black child can look up to a character like Falcon, because he's a kick ass character of color. True, they can also look up to Superman or Captain America or Batman, but here's a character who's just like them. The same goes for any character who is another ethnicity, sexual persuasion, etc. Young viewers see them featured, and it gives them an icon, if you will.

And the only valid argument I can ever come up with, or have heard, for changing a white or male character is that it does add that diversity that has been missed in years of fandoms. I can appreciate that over "We changed him because we could, so fuck the fanboys". Which seems to the most used logic by Hollywood.

Gavin

VIP
I'd just point out that there have been a lot of politically correct casting choices that have been praised. For instance, Samuel L Jackson played Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and most people consider it one of the best casting decisions ever.
That's true but the lack of outcry over that casting choice (aside from the obvious brilliance of having Samuel L. Jackson in anything) was partly due to the fact that the movie character was based on the Ultimate universe where the character had been changed from the original to one that was based on Samuel L. Jackson's appearance. Jackson apparently approved his image being used on the condition he be offered first choice of playing the character in any movie.