Review All Things TECHNOLOGICAL!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by PF4Eva, Feb 18, 2017.

1. PF4Eva

PF4Eva Member: Rank 2

I posted this on IMDb years ago on the Blu-ray Hugh Def Equipment board. I no longer have to worry about this issue, but it's a nice walk down Memory Lane.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PF4Eva

I posted this on IMDb back in 2011. Six years later, my folks are still too cheap to solve this problem. However in recent years, I've learned how to watch everything with headphones. Said headphones kick the ass of any speaker in my house, save my hi fi stereo.

[post deleted by an admin.]

• Like Like x 1
  3. PF4Eva

It's actually been proven that humans can hear hi-rez audio.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PF4Eva

I asked this question way back before I knew much about 24p technology or lossless audio.

Here it is straight from the IMDb archives.

Just a clarification: You can get the HD audio if you set your player to output PCM. It's better than nothing.

[post deleted by admin.]

• Like Like x 1
  5. PF4Eva

• Like Like x 1
  6. PF4Eva

This was originally posted nearly seven years ago.

Here's what the Speaker Wizard said:

Lots of good technical info that would be a tragedy to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PF4Eva

Not only is there some good information here, but also a history lesson.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PF4Eva

[post deleted by admin.]

[post deleted by admin.]

EQ is equalization. It refers to cutting or boosting bass, mids, or treble. For playback purposes, it's usually best to set everything flat (or, at the middle/12:00 position); that way, nothing is being cut or boosted, and it sounds the most natural.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PF4Eva

Most systems nowadays (2017) should be able to support DTS, especially Blu-ray players, which support DTS-X and earlier (lossless DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and regular lossy DTS).

I'm actually a big fan of DTS (especially theatrical and DTS Master Audio). Dolby is nice, too, but I usually have to turn up Dolby TrueHD louder than I do DTS-MA. TrueHD is typically mixed lower than Master Audio.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PF4Eva

In 2010, Toy Story 3 became the first theatrical release to utilize discrete 7.1 surround sound. How does it compare to 5.1? Let's find out.

[post deleted by admin.]

5.1 uses the standard six channels and can go up to 192kHz. 7.1 uses two extra rear channels (thus, eight channels), and maxes out at 96kHz.That's the only real difference between the two. One is not necessarily better than the other; Christopher Nolan uses 5.1 to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zelena

Zelena Member: Rank 2

Woody Allen cuts his films in mono to this day. Just sayin' :cool:

I think it's much more significant how much effort and creativity is put into the sound design and mix, than what format is used. These days, all films have very complex and professional mixes, but if the director doesn't really get into sound design (and all great directors are into sound -- topic for another thread) then it's just a mish-mash of recycled garbage from other film mixes. I guess it's not redundant to say that Apocalypse Now was the granddaddy of 5.1 films, and few releases since really deserve or need to be put through a proper 5.1 system.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Was the Betamax player and tapes really better than the VHS player and tapes?

Or was this just a myth?

And if it is true, why was this so?

[​IMG]

13. duzit

duzit Member: Rank 7

Never had a Beta, but I blew thru my share of V H S recorders. My friend had a Beta, but it was in the shop more than it was out.◆◆◆♡♡♡

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

Some say Video 2000 was the best system.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Why don't perpetual motion machines ever work?

16. PF4Eva

Being an audiophile, I recently compared lossy DTS to Dolby Digital (and PCM)… just out of curiosity.

I used all three audio tracks from Led Zeppelin DVD (apples to apples and all). I sampled "We're Gonna Groove," "I Can't Quit You Baby," and "Dazed & Confused." Here's which audio came out on top:

PCM - The top of the food chain. Uncompressed. It sounded (and felt) so live.
    DTS - The second-best. Jimmy Page's guitar and John Bonham's drums still pack one hell of a punch. John Paul Jones's bass is still discernable from Jimmy's guitar. Robert Plant's voice is still dynamic. You can still tell each instrument apart and everything still has life.
    Dolby Digital - Not bad, but it doesn't quite cut it. A tad muddy compared to DTS and especially PCM. Jimmy's guitar is somewhat lacking. Instrument separation is still good. The sound is average, at best.

I didn't find any of the tracks to be brickwalled or dynamically compressed.

Comparing DTS to Dolby Digital might seem a bit outdated in the age of Dolby TrueHD (and Atmos) and DTS-HD Master Audio (And DTS:X, etc.), but I was curious as to why Spielberg has always preferred DTS.