Review Arrow (2012)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Arrow
“Arrow” producer Marc Guggenheim has confirmed that Manu Bennett’s Slade Wilson won’t be appearing much on the show again due to the impending Deathstroke movie in the works and the studio not allowing them. He tells Discussing Film:

“For a time they were saying ‘you can’t use Deathstroke’, then that changed and we were able to have Slade Wilson back on the show, and now we’re back to ‘you can’t use him’. They’re working on the feature film version.”

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Arrow
“Arrow” producer Marc Guggenheim has confirmed that Manu Bennett’s Slade Wilson won’t be appearing much on the show again due to the impending Deathstroke movie in the works and the studio not allowing them. He tells Discussing Film:

“For a time they were saying ‘you can’t use Deathstroke’, then that changed and we were able to have Slade Wilson back on the show, and now we’re back to ‘you can’t use him’. They’re working on the feature film version.”
Disappointing because I quite liked Manu Bennett's version (although it was fairly far removed from the comics character). On the upside I am looking forward to seeing what Joe Manganiello does with the character. The post credits scene in Justice League was quite enticing.

Gavin

VIP
Just finished watching the Crisis on Earth X crossover. I thought it was excellent and a substantial improvement on last year's "Invasion". They did a great job of including all of the characters and ensuring that they were able to interact well with each other, both those that had history together and those that were meeting for the first time. The only major character missing in action (that I noticed) was J'onn. And the story felt more natural than the last time, which felt more like a forced team-up. My only disappointment, was that The Ray, went back to Earth X, especially since he was from Earth 1 and his lover decided to stay. I've always been a big fan of The Ray as a character and loved Russell Tovey's performance. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him in the future.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I finally got caught up to the mid-season finale, and I'm not gripped by this season. The crossover was absolutely brilliant, and I liked seeing Deathstroke back for a visit, but everything else this season feels like retreads of things done in previous seasons. The Flash is so much better this season, and Legends is, as always, entertaining. But after last season, I feel like Arrow isn't even trying.

Also, is there a Black Lightning thread? @Doctor Omega, am I missing it?

Gavin

VIP
I finally got caught up to the mid-season finale, and I'm not gripped by this season. The crossover was absolutely brilliant, and I liked seeing Deathstroke back for a visit, but everything else this season feels like retreads of things done in previous seasons. The Flash is so much better this season, and Legends is, as always, entertaining. But after last season, I feel like Arrow isn't even trying.
@Doctor Omega, am I missing it?
I agree, Arrow seems to be treading water a bit so far this season. I'm always optimistic and hopefully some of the threads start to come together to build up to a compelling storyline, but its not promising at the moment.

Doctor Omega

Colton Haynes Is Returning To “Arrow”

colton-haynes-is-returning-to-arrow-696x464.jpg

After returning for a two-episode arc in the current sixth season, actor Colton Haynes is coming back to The CW’s “Arrow” for the show’s seventh season – but this time as a series regular.

Haynes first appeared in the 15th episode of the first season of the show but he and his character of Roy Harper were invited back as a series regular for the second and third seasons. He guested in one episode of the fourth and a recent two in the sixth.

When he left recently, he and Thea (Willa Holland) went off in search of three newly revealed Lazarus Pits around the world, on a mission to destroy them. The release makes no mention of Holland’s status for the seventh season and the network declined to comment on Holland’s future with the show.

“Arrow” has already been renewed for a seventh season which will kick off in the Fall.

Doctor Omega

“Arrow” & “Legends” Get New Showrunners

arrow-legends-get-new-showrunners.jpg

“Arrow” and “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” are getting a bit of a retool for next season.

At present both shows have Marc Guggenheim as co-showrunner with Wendy Mericle also on “Arrow” and Phil Klemmer on ‘Legends’. Guggenheim is now transitioning to an executive consultant role on both shows, while Mericle is departing after serving in her role for three seasons now.

That means next season Klemmer will serve as sole showrunner on the fourth season of ‘Legends’ while “Arrow” co-executive producer Beth Schwartz is being promoted to executive producer and sole showrunner for its upcoming seventh season.

The other CW DC shows remain as is with Todd Helbing showrunning “The Flash,” Salim Akil showrunning “Black Lightning” and Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller showrunning “Supergirl”.

Producer Greg Berlanti assumed additional responsibilities on both “The Flash” and “Supergirl” following Andrew Kreisberg’s departure over sexual misconduct claims. It’s not clear if that will continue.

Doctor Omega

Cassandra J. Amell Is Nora Fries In “Arrow”

cassandra-j-amell-is-nora-fries-in-arrow-696x464.jpg

Cassandra Jean Amell, wife and producing partner of “Arrow” star Stephen Amell, has been tapped to play Nora Fries in The CW’s annual Arrow-verse DC/WBTV crossover.

Nora Fries is the wife of Batman villain Mr. Freeze and first appeared as a character in the 1990s “Batman: The Animated Series”. While we know the crossover event will introduce Ruby Rose’s Batwoman and Gotham City, none of the CW series has yet or plans to incorporate Batman himself into the narrative.

Amell joins just-cast Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane in the three-night event which runs from December 9th-11th. The casting comes as Matt Reeves has reportedly handed in his first draft of “The Batman” script.

Doctor Omega

If You Only Knew: Stephen Amell | Larry King Now

Actor Stephen Amell joins Larry King for a game of 'If You Only Knew'. In our signature rapid-fire QandA segment, Stephen Amell reveals his childhood celebrity crush, his impressive secret talent, and an incident on the 'Arrow' set he calls his most embarrassing moment. The star of 'Arrow' Stephen Amell reveals what other superhero he would like to play, which superhero movie he would like to make a cameo in and also what superpower he would like to have.

Doctor Omega

“Arrow” To End Next Season With Shorter Run

arrow-to-end-next-season-with-shorter-run-696x464.jpg

The CW’s longest-running on air DC Comics series, “Arrow,” will end with its upcoming eighth season. That season, which begins this Fall, will also be half the regular size – clocking in at just ten episodes.

“Arrow” launched on The CW in 2012 and remains one of the network’s highest-rated shows, also kicking off an inter-connected universe of other DC shows with “The Flash,” “Supergirl” and “Legends of Tomorrow”.

A “Batwoman” pilot has been ordered starring Ruby Rose with that series likely to be picked up for next season and effectively replacing “Arrow” as the most serious dark drama series of the four shows.

Executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Beth Schwartz said in a statement:

“This was a difficult decision to come to, but like every hard decision we’ve made for the past seven years, it was with the best interests of ‘Arrow’ in mind. We’re heartened by the fact that ‘Arrow’ has birthed an entire universe of shows that will continue on for many years to come. We’re excited about crafting a conclusion that honors the show, its characters and its legacy and are grateful to all the writers, producers, actors, and — more importantly — the incredible crew that has sustained us and the show for over seven years.”

Series star Stephen Amell also posted a message on Twitter: “Playing Oliver Queen has been the greatest professional experience of my life… but you can’t be a vigilante forever…There’s so much to say… for now I just want to say thank you.”

Doctor Omega

Rickards Announces Early “Arrow” Departure

rickards-announces-early-arrow-departure-696x464.jpg

Actress Emily Bett Rickards, who plays Felicity Smoak on The CW’s “Arrow,” has announced that she will be exiting the show at the end of the current seventh season.

Rickards broke the news with a post on her Instagram account tonight, offering thanks and appreciation for her character and for the fans of the show.

The departure comes as a surprise as the series was recently renewed for a shorter eighth and final season to air this fall. Rickards joined late in the first season and has been a key regular on the series ever since, so her early exit so close to the finish line is an eyebrow raiser.

That said, the current season’s flash forwards segments confirm the character’s survival and reports that she will go into hiding before her daughter Mia is born.