Review Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
If anything, I think it's even worse than when I first saw it.

Ironically, the thing I (and probably most people) thought was going to be the worst thing (re: Affleck) actually turned out to be the best thing in the movie. His performance aside, there wasn't much to applaud.

There were so many things wrong with it and the plot was just terrible.

The thing I laughed hardest at was the giant statue. The whole point of the film was that society is split over Superman and whether he's a threat (hence Batman's concerns) plus the fact that while saving Metropolis from Zod, he still none the less caused a great deal of damage and was responsible for many deaths. Even if you argue he saved the planet, the fact is, he saved it from... HIS people.

The idea that the state would whip up a massive statue of him almost immediately after such a terrible tragedy (which many blamed him for) is utterly ridiculous. Snieder so desperately wanted to push his Jesus narrative that logic clearly went out the window.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Agreed. There are some very good action scenes, but my major issues are these:

-The death of Superman/Doomsday should have been saved for a much later date. They just established this character, and it all felt terribly rushed. You could have had the fight between Bats and Supes and made a much more coherent story.
-The story is crap. I've said it before, Goyer is a hack writer. He takes bits and pieces from so many different comics and just throws them in a blender and hopes that people will buy tickets simply because they love the characters and will overlook the flaws. He apparently doesn't know us fanboys.
-The Justice League cameos. Why? They serve no purpose but to set up future movies. Again, Do one story, and make it good. I understand, they want to capitalize on what Marvel has done, but Marvel took their time and did it right. DC dropped the ball.
-Snyder is a brilliant visual director, but he doesn't make good, story driven movies. He's not a horrible director. I liked WATCHMEN, for all of its flaws. I even liked his remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. But MOS and BVS are not great films. Beautiful to look at (when he isn't over using the shakey cam and zoom), but he needs to take some creative writing classes to punch up his storytelling abilities.
-Luthor. Nothing else needs to be said about that.
-And as much as I loved Affleck as Batman, why did we need to have the older Batman? It works, but it feels like there's so much Batman story that needs to be told here. Not an origin story, but something more than "aging superhero gets back into the game".

That being said, I like the principal actors. Cavill is a great Superman, loved Affleck, Irons made a wonderful Alfred, even though I really loved Micheal Caine, and Gal Gadot is gorgeous and makes an amazing Wonder Woman. I hope her stand alone film is good, but I've heard some disparaging rumors about it. I hope they're wrong.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The death of Superman/Doomsday should have been saved for a much later date.
One of the key rules of making a movie - if you're gonna kill off the main character (even only temporarily) wait until the audience has connected with the character so there's some emotional impact. If no one cares about the character while he's alive then they're certainly not going to care that he died. Same mistake in Star Trek: Into Darkness - they rushed into the Khan storyline before anyone had developed an emotional attachment to any of the reboot characters. When it was done in the original Wrath of Khan movie it had impact because people had connected to the characters over many years (and liked them).

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Superman and Batman - World's Finest Trailer

Fan made trailer for a Batman/Superman team up. Despite their differences, the two heroes join forces to take down Lex Luthor and Two-Face.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Martha......

In the alternate "Flashpoint" universe, Martha Wayne is unable to cope with the loss of young Bruce Wayne and goes mad with grief, thus becoming The Joker. Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne, becomes Batman. Clip from the DC animated film, "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox."

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Exactly! This! This is what we comic book fans wanted! This is what those of us who have read and loved comic books for years needed to see! But instead we got Snyder handing us Clark and Bruce doing a dick measuring competition! Fuck! The animated movies and series got so much right!