Review Callan (1967)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
What a tremendous series this was. Edward Woodward as the world weary Callan operating in the dark world of espionage, great supporting cast, Anthony Valentine, Patrick Mower, William Squire, Russell Hunter and great guest cast.
Both the monochrome and colour DVD box sets are brilliant.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Another excellent TV series that suffered from the short-sighted stupidity of British TV executives in the late 60s and early 70s.

I first remember seeing the opening credits of this TV series as a child of 4 or 5. As a teenager in the early 80s, I was lucky to see and tape all of the colour episodes on ABC, without commercials. I now own the colour box-set and have been fortunate enough to see all of the monochrome episodes several times on YouTube over the years.

A brilliant TV series with very few peers.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
DISCOVERY/RECOVERY 278: Censor Clips – various series and episodes, extracts only.

Callan – Goodbye Nobby Clarke tx:15/7/1967 ABC
Callan – Goodness Burns Too Bright tx: 29/7/1967 ABC

Sexton Blake – The Find the Lady Affair: 3: Search for the Lady tx: 9/10/1967 Rediffusion
Sexton Blake – The Find the Lady Affair: 4: The Lady is Found tx:16/10/1967 Rediffusion
Sexton Blake – The Red Swordsman: 3: The Matador Strikes Again tx: 11/3/1968 Rediffusion
Sexton Blake – The Frightened Man: 1: Call for Help tx: 19/11/1969 Thames

Out of the Unknown – Immortality Inc tx: 7/1/1969 BBC2
Out of the Unknown – The Last Witness tx: 2/6/1971 BBC2

michaellevenson

This is a surprise, Big Finish do Callan. Four episodes, my copy arrived by post yesterday , not listened yet, but soon will.
Listened to bits of it, just to get the feel of it , and it sounds authentic. Nicholas Briggs is of course Hunter and Frank Skinner,yes THE Frank Skinner is Lonely.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
This is a surprise, Big Finish do Callan. Four episodes, my copy arrived by post yesterday , not listened yet, but soon will.
Listened to bits of it, just to get the feel of it , and it sounds authentic. Nicholas Briggs is of course Hunter and Frank Skinner,yes THE Frank Skinner is Lonely.
I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

I seen every existing episode of the TV series, the original pilot, the film and the TV reunion special - and I've read the novels - but I'm just not sure I could accept anyone else in those two central roles as Callan and Lonely.

michaellevenson

I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

I seen every existing episode of the TV series, the original pilot, the film and the TV reunion special - and I've read the novels - but I'm just not sure I could accept anyone else in those two central roles as Callan and Lonely.
The bits I've heard sound quite faithful to the TV series, however Skinner is not really playing Lonely as Russell Hunter did. I'm basing this on a few snatches, so I'm probably being unfair, but Skinner plays it as a straight cockney geezer. There's no slippery slyness to his voice, Ben Miles as Callan sounds good. If you go onto Big Finish homepage there is a few clips to listen to.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
An audio episode of CALLAN has been found - and plans are afoot to animate it.....

DISCOVERY 481:

Callan - Once a Big Man, Always a Big Man

Written by Lee Dunne
David Callan Edward Woodward
Lonely Russell Hunter
Toby Meres Anthony Valentine¹
Hunter Derek Bond
with Michael Beint, Michael Forrest, Bernard Archard, Jacqueline Pearce and Mark Moss
Created by James Mitchell
Developed by James Mitchell
Developed by Terence Feely
Theme music by Jack Trombey
Associate producer John Kershaw
Produced by Reginald Collin
Designed by Roger Allan
Directed by Bill Bain
A Thames production.
Originally transmitted 19.03.1969

Purchased by Stephen Monk at a house clearance sale, here again, Neil Ingoe examined a large bag of reel to reel audio tapes to find two remarkable and related finds.

Audio only.

Once Kaleidoscope has completed work animating “Adam Adamant Lives”, this will be our next project. A fully animated edition of a previously-missing “Callan”!